U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,338,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
this is the equivalent of saying an nba player has won everything except an NBA title.. which in the end means nothing.

the world cup remains the biggest championship in soccer. why are you still typing? oh yea because you think the euro league titles are bigger than the world cup.

No its not. The world cup is the biggest thing to win at a national level. The European Cup is biggest thing you can win at club level. Its not the equivlant of saying an NBA player has won everything except an NBA title because the world cup is harder to win as its the best teams in the world. The reason Messi has not won a world cup is because Argentina is not good enough. Messi is. Spain and the European countries are the ones good enough. Brazil at this moment are not good enough.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,945,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Some people do, some people dont. I strongly disagree with it because it insults the very essence of the team spirit of the game. If you have ever played on a team, you would understand this.

So Barry Sanders is considered one of the greatest despite not winning anything? What about Dan Marino?

I can name tons of players in all sports that are considered among the greatest that never experienced a championship.

You do understand that Messi's role at Barca is different than his role on his national team, right? That soccer is a very tactical game and the tactics in the club game and international game as different?

What about defenders? Do you think they cant be great if they didnt score in the World Cup? What about a defensive midfielder or a holding midfielder?
RJROb Dan Marino was great but he's not on the level of Joe Montana, Brady or Elway. for the simple fact that he has no championships.

that's why TOm Brady is considered greater than Peyton manning, despite manning having all the records in the world.. Brady has 3 superbowl rings, Manning has none.

what difference does it make what messi's role is? AS THE GREATEST he should be the focal point of ANY offense, he should be the leader and most clutch player. these are the standards to which NFL and NBA and NHL players are measured with. is it different in soccer?
is messi not the leader and best player on the argentina squad?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
People that actually know their football will agree messi is on another planet and I feel privileged to watch him thats how amazing he is.
I agree with you 100%. I watch every single Barca game because of him. Every single one. I am honoured to say that I have lived in the time of Messi. I am honoured to say I have seen him lift trophies. I cried when he scored that goal against Getafe.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
No its not.

that's what i wanted to see you post lol.

so everybody is clear, JD47 said the world cup is NOT the biggest stage in soccer.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

What about defenders? Do you think they cant be great if they didnt score in the World Cup? What about a defensive midfielder or a holding midfielder?
Great point. The greatest defender of all time in my eyes was Fabio Cannavaro and he was the captain of the Italian team that won the world cup in 06 and he was the player of the tournament that year.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,896,065 times
Quote:
RJROb Dan Marino was great but he's not on the level of Joe Montana, Brady or Elway. for the simple fact that he has no championships.
That's your opinion, it is not a fact.

Quote:
that's why TOm Brady is considered greater than Peyton manning, despite manning having all the records in the world.. Brady has 3 superbowl rings, Manning has none.
Peyton Manning has a Super Bowl ring.

Peyton Manning was better than Brady ever has been or will be.

Quote:
what difference does it make what messi's role is? AS THE GREATEST he should be the focal point of ANY offense, he should be the leader and most clutch player. these are the standards to which NFL and NBA and NHL players are measured with. is it different in soccer?
is messi not the leader and best player on the argentina squad?
You have just shown have you little to no understanding of the tactics of soccer or really sports in general if you think it is that simple. There are very specific positions in the sport and very different tactics for each team for those positions. Barca uses different tactics and a different formation than Argentina does.

Players in the NBA, NHL, and NFL often times will have their roles changed when they switch teams. Mario Williams was changed from a defensive end to a linebacker last season for the Texans for example. His roles and expectations changed.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
strength is bench pressing 427lbs.. strength is breaking actual tackles, not what they call 'tackles' in soccer.. but actually using ur hands and body to bring down a man... and breaking that tackle.
No its not. Did you see the way he shouldered players that were bigger then him off the ball, thats called strength. Messi does that as seen in the video above.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
that's what i wanted to see you post lol.

so everybody is clear, JD47 said the world cup is NOT the biggest stage in soccer.
Read the post properly. Stop trying to twist my words.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM

lol RJRObb first you tell my marino post is an opinion, then you follow up by saying Manning is 'better than brady ever has been or will be'... but that's not an opinion right?

How good was Peyton when the colts were repeatedly eliminated by the pats? do you want to look at peyton's stats compared to brady's in those playoff losses? i doubt it. Brady OWNS manning in the playoffs, and is 3-1 in isuperbowl rings.

but yes back to your idol messi... you're arguing that the greatest soccer player had his role 'changed'... then mention mario williams who is nowhere near being the best nfl player in the league. but that's beside the point. what you're arguing is that a simple 'role change' can completely throw off the effectiveness of messi as a player, is it not? are you not saying that because of this role change, messi wasn't as effective with argentina as he is with barcelona?

we're talking about the greatest player in soccer are we not... should his skill and abilities not trump whatever position he plays? should he not impact the game regardless of what his role is? should the greatest in the world not score at least ONE goal in the world cup?
argentina aren't bums like trinidad and tobago lol they have great players. lol@ mario williams.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,618,975 times
Oh, hell. Since you both insist on arguing over dumb, unprovable things, let me be a bombthrower, too.

Soccer Officially Announces It Is Gay | The Onion - America's Finest News Source | Onion News Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer