U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,889,953 times
Reputation: 1228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
No its not. Did you see the way he shouldered players that were bigger then him off the ball, thats called strength. Messi does that as seen in the video above.
ok you're right messi pushing off a player is a better sign of strength than a 427 bench press max.

messi would be killed in the NFL even if he wore titanium padding. i doubt he can even bench 120 lbs

 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,746,473 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
ok you're right messi pushing off a player is a better sign of strength than a 427 bench press max.

messi would be killed in the NFL even if he wore titanium padding. i doubt he can even bench 120 lbs
And most NFL players wouldnt last 2 minutes on a soccer field without their hands on their knees gasping for air or being knocked on their ass after a ball came to their feet and they even waited a split second before deciding what to do with it.

Just ask Chad Ochocinco about how that goes and he played soccer for most of his life before going to the NFL.
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:23 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,889,953 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
And most NFL players wouldnt last 2 minutes on a soccer field without their hands on their knees gasping for air or being knocked on their ass after a ball came to their feet and they even waited a split second before deciding what to do with it.

Just ask Chad Ochocinco about how that goes and he played soccer for most of his life before going to the NFL.
look at your post
look at it carefully

and look at my post

you're arguing about the skill involved playing soccer. which i've agreed with all along.
i'm arguing about the physical/athletic abilities needed to play a sport like football or basketball.

so we're both right. soccer, a game of skill.
basketball, football, sports that require more athletic ability.

because star nfl players have successfully played other sports, i.e deion sanders.

Please tell me what other sport messi could play professionally lol... aside from badminton or ping pong.
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,720 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
argentina aren't bums like trinidad and tobago lol they have great players.
Just because they have great players does'nt mean they should win it. The players need to be able to play together. Thats why the likes of Spain and Germany are so strong because their players play together week in and week out. Spain is basicly Barcelona just without Casillas, Alonso, Albiol and Ramos in the team.
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,720 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
ok you're right messi pushing off a player is a better sign of strength than a 427 bench press max.
Once again I never said that. I never said Messi was stronger then anyone in the NFL. All I was doing was correcting you when you said Messi has no strength.
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,889,953 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Just because they have great players does'nt mean they should win it. The players need to be able to play together. Thats why the likes of Spain and Germany are so strong because their players play together week in and week out. Spain is basicly Barcelona just without Casillas, Alonso, Albiol and Ramos in the team.
exactly!!! barcelona is comprised of the freaking world champion spaniard team.
is it illogical to conclude or attribute messi's greatness to the fact that he plays with a team of all stars... would messi be as great playing with club AMERICA in mexico?
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,720 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
look at your post
look at it carefully

and look at my post

you're arguing about the skill involved playing soccer. which i've agreed with all along.
i'm arguing about the physical/athletic abilities needed to play a sport like football or basketball.

so we're both right. soccer, a game of skill.
basketball, football, sports that require more athletic ability.

because star nfl players have successfully played other sports, i.e deion sanders.

Please tell me what other sport messi could play professionally lol... aside from badminton or ping pong.

Alright tell me this. What athleticism is there in Basketball thats not in football. I always thought that being able to run 11km for 90 minutes while having strength and being able to run through players at a quick pace would have gone down as being athletic.
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:33 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,720 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
exactly!!! barcelona is comprised of the freaking world champion spaniard team.
is it illogical to conclude or attribute messi's greatness to the fact that he plays with a team of all stars... would messi be as great playing with club AMERICA in mexico?
But he is the star of the team. The question should be the other way around. Would Barca do so well if Messi was'nt in the team.
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,746,473 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
you're arguing about the skill involved playing soccer. which i've agreed with all along.
i'm arguing about the physical/athletic abilities needed to play a sport like football or basketball.

so we're both right. soccer, a game of skill.
basketball, football, sports that require more athletic ability.
That's where you are wrong. You cannot play soccer without significant athletic ability and it is right on par with basketball, football or any other sport you want to throw out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
because star nfl players have successfully played other sports, i.e deion sanders.

Please tell me what other sport messi could play professionally lol... aside from badminton or ping pong.
The difference is that most sports involve the use of arms where as soccer uses their feet so crossover isnt as easy. It has nothing to do with athletic ability but rather the skillset involved.
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,889,953 times
Reputation: 1228
JD47 do you want me to show you actual non subjective evidence of mutant-like athletic ability in basketball? because i don't know if you're serious or not.

i've read lebron james has like a 42-44'' vertical leap, i cant find confirmation right now... but do you understand these type of stats.. thats over 3 feet leaping ability.
there are 40 yard dash times, bench, broad jump, stats...
then there's things like this:



this is a man jumping over a 7 footer. the guy in the white is 7 feet tall.



^this is a man jumping 13 feet from the free throw line to the rim. michael jordan had a vertical leap of 40+ inches.

these are uncommon feats of human ability. that is what i mean by freak athleticism.
bicycle kicks in soccer are skilled shots. women and kids can replicate bicycle kicks. most human beings can't dunk from the free throw line or jump over 7 foot men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top