U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 03:01 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,411,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Soccer is'nt commercial friendly. Just watch a televised NFL game in the states, it's just endless beer & truck commercials, thats why an NFL game lasts for almost 4 hours.

Thank god it has'nt happened to soccer yet.
If the pitch wasn't bombarded with adverts and the players weren't billboards, they might have taken a look at breaks.

Be thankful. It's so very aggravating.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 PM

117 posts, read 228,537 times
I am American, born and raised...honestly, I hated soccer/association football (I will refer to as soccer from here on out for simplicity) from a young age and I always considered it to be a "unmanly" compared to Football. I then had the oppurtunity to study abroad for over a year and discovered that soccer is indeed the most popular sport in the world by far...and that it is actually a pretty awesome sport. At school, everyone was pretty much from countries outside of America. Everyone supported a team, be it in the Premiere League, Liga BBV, Italian league etc...I didn't have a team to root for, and then Liverpool was purchased by the owners of the Red Sox and I had a team I could pledge allegiance to...several months later and I am still a huge supporter of the Reds

As to why Americans do not like soccer...because there hasn't been a lot of exposure to it here. It is truly an amazing and beautiful sport that requires immense skill. I believe soccer will gain more influence here in the US in the coming years because ESPN is airing matches, as well as some local channels, and because in the past few years TV has improved so much...now you can see every player in complete detail, and everything is 10x clearer.

This is a sport that is overlooked which is unfortunate. Most Americans are hardcore supporters of the NFL (I am a die-hard Pats fan) and they don't really care to get into another sport.

Another thing is that soccer fans will sometimes go after football fans for calling the sport football (even though an englishman made the name...) and claim "oh...you only kick the ball a couple times in the game"...and these attacks from soccer fans will make football fans say "your sports for p**********...always falling and crying!" and from there it continues...

I honestly think Americans who have lived outside of the US, or have had exposure to it love the sport. Americans who never have left the country may never discover it because they think the most popular sport in the world in football.

I <3 soccer and this has only recently happened. It is truly an amazing sport and I truly do hope it levels the playing field with football. It is so much more then kicking the ball into a net. There is a lot of strategy and it is such an interesting game...incredibly international as well. On one team you may have 10+ different nationalities. In the US, max 4 different nationalities on a team...and thats pushing it.

Plus, soccer is such a huge thing around the world...in Asia every bar or club we went to would be broadcasting a game so it was hard not to watch.

I am unsure which podcast it was, but Bill Simmons talked in depth about how soccer may be rising in popularity and how it already is...I believe it was the one with Rob Stone from 7/18/2011 so take a chance to listen to it if you can.

go liverpool!!!

EDIT: Also, another reason it isnt popular is because a lot of Americans are stupid, ignorant f**** (again, I am American. You really need to leave your country to see what it is. Those who scream red, white, and blue the loudest have often never left the country)...soccer is a great sport, and a lot of Americans are too ignorant or have misplaced allegiance to American Football. "IM A PATRIOT! IM A CHRISTIAN! AMERICAN FOOTBALL!!"...haha. Everyone should watch some premiere league games (Liverpool, Arsenal last season is what got me hooked...last minute scores off penalties) before giving up on the sport. Watch some Barca - Madrid games as well for good action. Also, for the Americans who claim the sport is for "p******" should look at this. http://www.xoxobook.com/sports/12-of...-of-all-times/ bahahahahha

Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 PM

12,300 posts, read 18,123,745 times
I grew up with soccer and hockey in Sweden. After I moved here I learned to love Football. I cant stand baseball.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,725,989 times
Why does everyone give a rat's behind if someone else likes soccer or not? I have things I like to watch but I don't go around with my nose in the air putting down others for not sharing my interests.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,448,107 times
Because its a sport ? Youre supposed to be passionate about them. I get the same crap from American Football fans who give me hell about not having an interest in American Football.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,435,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Why does everyone give a rat's behind if someone else likes soccer or not? I have things I like to watch but I don't go around with my nose in the air putting down others for not sharing my interests.
Don't think the OP was going after that..it's more of a general curiosity rather than who is wrong or right.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM

224 posts, read 593,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
really?! -you signed up to post this..........

I think you'll find that most americans like to eat babies, which is most assuredly related

Also, why would americans be the odd one out.

The 10 most populous nations in the world are:
  • China
  • India
  • United States
  • Indonesia
  • Brazil
  • Pakistan
  • Bangladesh
  • Nigeria
  • Russia
  • Japan
Even if you remove Brazil & Nigeria that is 8 of the top 10 nations and 53% of the population where soccer isn't all that successful. So it sounds like the US isn't as isolated as you would originally imply

That's if your original statement was even true

However, given that soccer & basketball run neck and neck as the most participated in youth sports and the leagues are growing, the federation is improving and more international leagues are being picked up and broadcast - soccer definitely has a place at the american sports table

sure it's not on par with others - it may never be ..... but it's definitely here
Do you know how many weekly viewers the Premier League has get China???

And football not successful in Russia what the ****?? It's the most popular sport along hockey. Also Football is the second most popular in Japan. It's also the second most popular in Indonesia after badminton. It's even the most popular sport in some albeit small states of India!

You seem to think football is unsuccessful because the whole population isn't crazy about it.

The fact is that football is in the top 5 concerning sports in almost Every Single Country On Earth!

No other sport compares.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
JJG

13,253 posts, read 19,280,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
China - Soccer is developing as a major sport
India - Cricket
United States - American football and baseball
Indonesia - soccer, badminton and table tennis
Brazil - soccer
Pakistan - Cricket
Bangladesh - Cricket
Nigeria - Soccer
Russia - Soccer
Japan - Soccer is a majort sport in Japan
Don't forget basketball, NASCAR, and even College Football has more of a hold than Soccer.

It's not dissing, it's not trashing, it's just truth that Association football may never be as big as our football. And I think most American's attitudes for the sport isn't a sense of hate like alot of you seem to think. It's just not that big a deal here. I think this sums it up:

In most of the rest of the world, soccer is life.
In America, soccer is just another sport....

Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
JJG

13,253 posts, read 19,280,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Well American Football has been played in America for a LONG time and people here go crazy over the NFL (Not as much as UK and Football ill admit)

But theres no way American Football not be the most popular sport in America
Portland doesn't have a NFL team but they have a MLS team and im pretty sure Portland is the only non American Football (Major) City

MLS is growing in popularity though and youth (real) football is VERY popular in america. Thats why we always use the term Soccer Mom lol
I'm guessing you've never heard of L.A., San Antonio, Orlando, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Columbus, Austin, Milwuakee, El Paso, Louisville, and Vegas?

And could you all please knock it off with the "real" football crap. I started an entire thread on that (very sure I'm not the only one, either).

Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,510,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
Do you know how many weekly viewers the Premier League has get China???

And football not successful in Russia what the ****?? It's the most popular sport along hockey. Also Football is the second most popular in Japan. It's also the second most popular in Indonesia after badminton. It's even the most popular sport in some albeit small states of India!

You seem to think football is unsuccessful because the whole population isn't crazy about it.

The fact is that football is in the top 5 concerning sports in almost Every Single Country On Earth!

No other sport compares.
yet they don't hold it in as much importance to field a team that can actually compete on a world stage...........

which seems to be the point

it's plenty popular here in the US .... it's popular in many places, even if other sports are more popular (in many of those countries it's individual sports that will get you the most notice)

for example - China puts a lot more stock into it's gymnastics, diving, etc than it does into something like soccer

remember - the original post said that most of the world has soccer as it's #1 sport. All I did was point out that wasn't the case (which it isn't) - stating that soccer is #2 or #3 someplace doesn't cut down my post, but further reinforces it

also remember, I didn't agree with his notion that soccer wasn't liked here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.