U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: England
24,823 posts, read 6,177,013 times
Reputation: 30418

Advertisements

Luckily, the USA don't take soccer seriously. If they did, with their large population, and
the money they could throw at it, they would probably win the world cup regularly.

 
Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times
Reputation: 5087
They dont ? Custom built stadiums popping up everywhere, some good youth / college setups popping up. If the league and youth setup becomes solid like the potential it has they may well put in a good challenge at some stage. Couple that with the large population of immigrants here too who are having babies or played before they got here. Look at Agudelo (sp), this kid should be fantastic if hes nurtured correctly.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Luckily, the USA don't take soccer seriously. If they did, with their large population, and
the money they could throw at it, they would probably win the world cup regularly.

Saying the US doesnt take soccer seriously is a little much.

Just because it isnt the top sport doesnt mean it isnt taken seriously. Right now, our top athletes choose to play football, basketball, or baseball instead of soccer.

When some of those kids start choosing soccer because they realize they can have a profitable future in it, the national team will take a step up and by one of the best in the world.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Saying the US doesnt take soccer seriously is a little much.

Just because it isnt the top sport doesnt mean it isnt taken seriously. Right now, our top athletes choose to play football, basketball, or baseball instead of soccer.

When some of those kids start choosing soccer because they realize they can have a profitable future in it, the national team will take a step up and by one of the best in the world.
I don't think it's much at all.

Compare soccer here in the states to over in Europe....
 
Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times
Reputation: 5087
Football never had a good run over here outside of minor youth stuff. Football at its best has only really been here for 15 years in the US and even had humble beginnings. You have to give it time, you cant just set up a league and all of a sudden be the #1 sport. There are lots of 10 year old kids and the like going to games, give it 15 years when they have kids and are taking them.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 03:23 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,621,434 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
They dont ? Custom built stadiums popping up everywhere, some good youth / college setups popping up. If the league and youth setup becomes solid like the potential it has they may well put in a good challenge at some stage. Couple that with the large population of immigrants here too who are having babies or played before they got here. Look at Agudelo (sp), this kid should be fantastic if hes nurtured correctly.
Yeah the MLS franchises in Portland and Seattle have sold out every game this season. Someone's apparently into football/soccer...
 
Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Belgium
1,173 posts, read 1,674,740 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Luckily, the USA don't take soccer seriously. If they did, with their large population, and
the money they could throw at it, they would probably win the world cup regularly.
I've thought the same thing concerning China. Suppose they would really get their teeth into starting to train their gazillion youngsters...I mean, math simply dictates they would churn out more than one fabulous player...
 
Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I don't think it's much at all.

Compare soccer here in the states to over in Europe....
So we dont support something at the level that another area of the world does therefor we dont take it seriously?

You've managed to completely miss my point. Why does it have to be as big as it is in Europe to be taken seriously? It doesnt. Plenty of things are taken seriously and not the most popular of things. We are closing in on 400 million people in this country. All of those people like different things and there are enough people that like soccer out of the population so that it is taken seriously. Multi-billionaire business owners would not be investing hundreds of millions of dollars into something that wasnt taken seriously. People that have made that much money know what they are doing.

Soccer will never be the #1 sport in the U.S. and that's fine. Honestly, I dont want it to be. However, saying it isnt taken seriously is wrong and a bit much.
 
Old 09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
So we dont support something at the level that another area of the world does therefor we dont take it seriously?

You've managed to completely miss my point. Why does it have to be as big as it is in Europe to be taken seriously? It doesnt. Plenty of things are taken seriously and not the most popular of things. We are closing in on 400 million people in this country. All of those people like different things and there are enough people that like soccer out of the population so that it is taken seriously. Multi-billionaire business owners would not be investing hundreds of millions of dollars into something that wasnt taken seriously. People that have made that much money know what they are doing.

Soccer will never be the #1 sport in the U.S. and that's fine. Honestly, I dont want it to be. However, saying it isnt taken seriously is wrong and a bit much.
And YOU completely took those two sentences and ran with them.

I didn't say soccer wasn't taken seriously at all. It's just not nearly as serious as other nations. When you check the media, soccer and MLS games get a few mentions, but they don't even take up half the attention other sports get.

Not blowing it off, but not saying it's 'up there' in the U.S. either...
 
Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And YOU completely took those two sentences and ran with them.

I didn't say soccer wasn't taken seriously at all. It's just not nearly as serious as other nations. When you check the media, soccer and MLS games get a few mentions, but they don't even take up half the attention other sports get.

Not blowing it off, but not saying it's 'up there' in the U.S. either...
I said, "Saying the US doesnt take soccer seriously is a little much."

You said, "I don't think it's much at all."

So, you responded to my statement using words from my statement. I wasnt running with it, you implied that you agreed with the previous poster in the way you responded.

Regardless, you pretty much nailed it in your second paragraph. But, the media attention is getting better. Hell, our media attention in KC with Sporting is far better than it was just a year a go. It is amazing what a World Class stadium and winning run can do for a team. We have articles in the newspaper daily and our sports talk shows cover the team several times a week including having players on for interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top