U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times

Advertisements

Thats a nice worldly view of you. You tend to think the rest of the world is just boring ? Im pretty sure youve never left the US then, good luck with that.

No skill ? Really ? I am sure plenty of vids can be found on YT, not taht youd take the time to watch them.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM

738 posts, read 968,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Slow and steady wins the race. Fads get popular quickly and fade away just as fast. Things that are truly popular grow slowly but steadily just like soccer is.

The NFL started in it's original form in the 1920s. Even in the 1960s when the first Super Bowl was being played, it was considered a niche league and members of the sports media refused to follow it because they didnt think it would last. Sound familiar?

Where do you get that it was a niche league? The first NFL-AFL Championship Game (not called Super Bowl yet) was the winner of an established league vs. an upstart league. That is what SOME reporters thought. Football has been reported from day 1. On radio before television. It was the top college game since the late 1800's. When Red Grange signed a pro contract the NFL started to grow and grow and grow. With air travel it went nationwide, like baseball.

I remember the 60's quite well and you do not have a clue about what you are talking about. NO ONE refused to follow it. It was reported in every newspaper. Stars were always on TV as guest stars on games shows, variety shows, Christmas specials, situation comedies,etc. There were call in radio shows in the 60's. More players were household names in the 60's than today. Some people still think of Donny Anderson when they think of Vitalis. With higher salaries todays players don't have to do those things.

Everyone knew it would last. I don't know where you could have gotten that idea.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:56 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weitzfc View Post
i'd rather watch grass grow, or have a tooth pulled. kids in america that play soccer usually have no athletic skills. i tend believe most american men are ashamed to admit their son plays soccer. god knows i've tried to watch european soccer , but for the life of me , i can't stay awake. i've seen more action at an old folks home. i can't believe its america, i tend to think the rest of the world is just, boring.
Utter Jibberish

Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Utter Jibberish
He's a newbie....

Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,143,500 times
You know I used to wonder what all those fat guys were doing on the field during an NFL game, you know, the one's with their belly hanging over their pants. It never dawned on me that these fat guys were athletes.
At least I now know who Americans consider to be athletes, the morbidly obese.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
You know I used to wonder what all those fat guys were doing on the field during an NFL game, you know, the one's with their belly hanging over their pants. It never dawned on me that these fat guys were athletes.
Ah for f*** sake....

I'm sorry we can't all be chiseled gods, but concidering that our football doesn't involve everyone running back and forth and players needing to block for you, there has to be some strenght on the line.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,364,704 times
Quote:
i'd rather watch grass grow, or have a tooth pulled. kids in america that play soccer usually have no athletic skills. i tend believe most american men are ashamed to admit their son plays soccer. god knows i've tried to watch european soccer , but for the life of me , i can't stay awake. i've seen more action at an old folks home. i can't believe its america, i tend to think the rest of the world is just, boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I really hate that every soccer discussion in this forum this kind of crap happens. You have morons on both sides the - the GIRLY MAN side of soccer hating - and then the soccer fans who feel the need to call NFL players "fake athletes" or something. Both stances are beyond immature and add nothing to the conversation. Soccer is not a girly sport, and NFL players are most definitely athletes. If you truly believe either one of those, you don't understand the other sport, period.

While I don't agree with every RJRobb says, at least he has an informed opinion and posts along those lines.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,154,909 times
I'd like to thank soccer for providing the training for Wes Welker.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:57 PM

117 posts, read 227,711 times
Quote:

Troll...

And anyways,

Soccer is a great sport, so is American Football...both have tremendous athletes and both have large fan bases (Soccers being decidedly larger outside of the US)

Hopefully soccer begins to have more of an impact in the US, and becomes popular to the masses. Right now, AmFootball is dominant in the US, but I hope to see soccer becoming more and more prevalent.

I know a few places around here that show premiere league games which is nice

I hope more big names come to the MLS, and that more money is invested to attract these big name players. Imagine Messi on New England Revolution (100% crazy...but in a made up, amazing world just imagine how many new fans that would bring in)...I hope someday that the MLS becomes as popular as the other big name leagues.

And @Orangeish, I 100% agree with you...

@Albion, please, run a 40 yard dash and tell me your honest time...these "fat men" could destroy you in almost any physical area unless you yourself is a professional athlete (which I highly doubt...)

Here is Rich Eisen running the 40...he is a healthy man and this is his 40 time...watch him compared to the slowest "fat man"...please, play the sport before you criticize it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i28MU8-lcw

Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Where do you get that it was a niche league? The first NFL-AFL Championship Game (not called Super Bowl yet) was the winner of an established league vs. an upstart league. That is what SOME reporters thought. Football has been reported from day 1. On radio before television. It was the top college game since the late 1800's. When Red Grange signed a pro contract the NFL started to grow and grow and grow. With air travel it went nationwide, like baseball.
I've studied the history of sports for a long time and have lots of books on the history of the NFL. There was a lot of people in the media and other industries that work in sports that didnt think the NFL was going to last and that ultimately, college football would be the most popular level of the sport.

Quote:
I remember the 60's quite well and you do not have a clue about what you are talking about. NO ONE refused to follow it. It was reported in every newspaper. Stars were always on TV as guest stars on games shows, variety shows, Christmas specials, situation comedies,etc. There were call in radio shows in the 60's. More players were household names in the 60's than today. Some people still think of Donny Anderson when they think of Vitalis. With higher salaries todays players don't have to do those things.
'NO ONE' refused to follow it? Really? You can name every single reporter and member of the sports media and tell me that every single one of them across the entire country didnt refuse to follow it or report on it?

I know for a fact that is wrong. I've read books with quotes from people that worked at news papers, radio, and TV who either refused to report on the NFL themselves or had co-workers that did.

If I remember correctly, the book titled "The History of the Super Bowl" in the first few chapters discusses how certain prominent sports media members were not sold on the NFL and didnt want to cover it. It even talks about one guy that almost lost his job because he refuse to cover the Super Bowl or at least I think that is the book that one was in.

There are first hand accounts out there stating as such so making a claim that NO ONE refused to cover it is foolish. But, I am sure you know more than the people that actually worked in the sports media during that time.

Quote:
Everyone knew it would last. I don't know where you could have gotten that idea.
It's called books. You know those things made with paper with words on them.

Everyone knew? Everyone is a lot of people, you really want to speak for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer