U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
 
9,582 posts, read 8,884,814 times
Reputation: 5813

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I've studied the history of sports for a long time and have lots of books on the history of the NFL. There was a lot of people in the media and other industries that work in sports that didnt think the NFL was going to last and that ultimately, college football would be the most popular level of the sport.



This is just plain wrong erroneous information WOW ..ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ..nice try.

The media did not think the AFL would last NOT PRO FOOTBALL ITSELF!! Geez....the theory at that time was that it was an upstart league and would fade away as the NFL continued to grow.

Oh and if you want soccer to get more popular, get rid of that stupid offside rule..its subjective and creates tons of controversy. A solid line makes alot more sense. You know what Americans saw in the World Cup..a bunch of low scoring games decided by officials in many cases. Listen, just like hockey there is a place for soccer in this country..I love hockey and am pissed to this day they are trying to tailor it to appeal to the masses. It NEVER will and thats fine with me. Same with soccer. Stop trying to make it a national top four sport and enjoy it for what it is in this country. A growing sport with a cult following that will stay that way as long as the rules are what they are...the game is BORING to most people..why can't you understand this? Hockey is boring to most people..who cares!! .. Enjoy the sport for what it is...

 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Reputation: 5087
Stupid offside rule ? lol
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:18 PM
 
525 posts, read 768,123 times
Reputation: 415
I know why because it is freaking BORING. The feild is too big the scores too low and who wants to see players running around all day and not get something out of it? boring....
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Reputation: 5087
Yeh, cause ist much more exciting watching 4 minutes of ads for every 30 seconds of play

It is far from a boring game, just because you dont understand the game and you need to see 7 points everytime the ball crosses the line does not mean its boring.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 PM
 
9,582 posts, read 8,884,814 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Stupid offside rule ? lol
Yep..its a rule built to be subjective. If you take off the rose colored soccer glasses and see how many bad calls resulted from that rule in the World Cup, it was laughable, and trust me, most Americans WERE laughing or shaking their head. The ONLY reason people in this country watch the WC is to see how the USA fares. Once they are out, watch the bleachers clear.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 PM
 
921 posts, read 909,622 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
I know why because it is freaking BORING. The feild is too big the scores too low and who wants to see players running around all day and not get something out of it? boring....
Enjoy your "football" heetseker and shut up.
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yep..its a rule built to be subjective. If you take off the rose colored soccer glasses and see how many bad calls resulted from that rule in the World Cup, it was laughable, and trust me, most Americans WERE laughing or shaking their head. The ONLY reason people in this country watch the WC is to see how the USA fares. Once they are out, watch the bleachers clear.
I dont wear rose coloured soccer glasses buddy. Your comment was just extremely funny. Most football fans like the human element of the game, if you dont thats cool too.

It really is the only reason ? Really ? Did you survey everybody to get that opinion ? I am pretty sure you are wrong there. Most people watch the USA on TV for the WC, not sitting in bleachers. That would have been a bit weird IMHO but if you went the extra mile and watched it on bleachers thats cool to
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
 
9,582 posts, read 8,884,814 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I dont wear rose coloured soccer glasses buddy. Your comment was just extremely funny. Most football fans like the human element of the game, if you dont thats cool too.

It really is the only reason ? Really ? Did you survey everybody to get that opinion ? I am pretty sure you are wrong there. Most people watch the USA on TV for the WC, not sitting in bleachers. That would have been a bit weird IMHO but if you went the extra mile and watched it on bleachers thats cool to
What am I doing? I am in a soccer forum arguing with soccer fans.... I will step away quietly and let you guys get back to watching a bunch of guys in shorts run around after a ball....
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Reputation: 5087
LMAO, should I bring up the fat guys in tights comment ? Oh wait, nevermind ....
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 PM
 
9,582 posts, read 8,884,814 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
LMAO, should I bring up the fat guys in tights comment ? Oh wait, nevermind ....
Enjoy the game..its a good sport...it needs a lot of lets say "tinkering" ...... 1-0 SCORES will NEVER FLY in this country.

I'm outta here!@!

Last edited by jp03; 10-04-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top