U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,100,406 times

Advertisements

Fenerbahce were forced to ban male fans from their league game against Marisaspor following crowd trouble in a friendly against Ukrainian Champions Shakhtar Donetsk. Originally, the punishment was for Fener to play two games behind closed doors, but the Turkish FA then softened their stance, allowing only women and children to attend the game. What’s more, they were admitted for free, meaning that the club got no ticket income from the game. This is the first time such a punishment has been implemented, but these sanctions have now been approved, and will be used in future action against clubs with crowd trouble. A crowd of around 41,000 turned out for the game, which ended 1-1. Instead of hurling abuse and jeering, the crowd hurled flowers at the players and applauded as they came onto the pitch for kickoff. Quotes include Fenerbahce captain Alex de Sousa saying: “This memory will stay with me forever. It’s not always that you see so many women and children in one game.” His teammate, on-loan Everton defender Joseph Yobo, said “We have to thank the ladies for coming to support us. It is hard to play without the fans.” According to visiting Marisaspor midfielder, “It was such a fun and pleasant atmosphere.”

Women and kids only as Fenerbahce ban men - Fenerbahce News from football.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM

275 posts, read 671,845 times
I don't know if this can help with the fan violence but seeing 41,000 happy, excited women sure does bring a smile to my face :-)

Fenerbahçe - Manisaspor 20.09.2011 Bayan ve Çocuk Taraftarlar - YouTube

Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,975,374 times
Well done Fenerbahce!! Turkey is going to be a very important country geopolitically in the coming decades, I'm optimistic they will be a positive force.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM

2,372 posts, read 3,061,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
I don't know if this can help with the fan violence but seeing 41,000 happy, excited women sure does bring a smile to my face :-)

Fenerbahçe - Manisaspor 20.09.2011 Bayan ve Çocuk Taraftarlar - YouTube
awsome! great stuff.

from an american it's funny to see how Turkish women and kids are better, more engaged, more vocal and passionate than the crowds here.

really neat.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 PM

What a great and vocal support!

Would like to be in one of them stands haha.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Sexist is all it is. Imagine banning all chicks and only letting dudes in and the uproar that would be happening.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 AM

But I doubt there's many female football hooligans Brian lol that's the reason they banned the men, because they have been causing havoc in turkey for years now. Obviously not all, but there's is a lot of trouble makers at football in Turkey.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Sexist is all it is. Imagine banning all chicks and only letting dudes in and the uproar that would be happening.
I don't see anything sexist in this. It is not for every soccer match, just for the ones which are suppose to be played to closed, empty stands as a punishment for fan violence. Since males are responsible for the violence, it make sense they are the only ones being punished.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
I didnt see the game or good footage of the hooliganism to say there was absolutely no women involved. On the same note, not every male was involved. If you are going to ban people from a game you ban them all or you ban none.

Imagine the rolls reversed and all women were banned for two games ? Do you think people would think its cute or cool to see a stadium absent of women ?

I honestly dont really care about it, I just wanted to point out the double standards of everybody being equal which is all well and good when a woman benefits everybody is extremely happy about it, reverse the rolls and people either dont care or are afraid to point out how equal equal actually is.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Brian, normally I would agree with you but in this case, knowing the Turkish soccer fans, I can tell you positively that males were the only ones involved in hooliganism. I lived in Turkey several years and most of the time females won't attend these matches because of how terrible males behave in them. It is better to watch them at home. Male fans have been punishing female fans for years now so it is about time tables are turned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer