U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:32 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,465,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sounders FC claimed a piece of United States soccer history Tuesday night with its 2-0 win over the Chicago Fire in the U.S. Open Cup final. The result marked the third straight season that the club has won what is the U.S. Soccer Federation’s national championship. No Major League Soccer team had ever done that. No team of any kind had done it since the New York Greek-Americans’ run from 1967-69. And no team of any kind has ever won more consecutively. The game was played in front of a U.S. Open Cup record crowd of 35,615 at CenturyLink Field.
-------
Seattle outshot Chicago 24-6 – 14-1 in the second half. However, that didn’t pay off until a sequence around the 77th minute, when the Sounders unleashed an offensive flurry with several good chances. That led to the corner kick that started the game-winner.Eric Friberg – who came on at halftime for the injured Alvaro Fernandez – sent the ball into the middle of the box, where defender Jeff Parke headed it on goal. Chicago keeper Sean Johnson got a piece of the ball but couldn’t control the rebound. The ball made its way to the foot of Montero, who sent it into the back of the net.

Read more: Sounders capture history, third U.S. Open Cup | Sounders FC / MLS - The News Tribune

Only a three year old MLS franchise, the Sounders are a true success story. They have the most of and the best fans in the country, now have a US Open Cup 3-peat, are through to the quarterfinals in the CCL, and are playing better than anyone in the MLS right now..and that includes the Galaxy who are the only club they trail in points.

More silverware may be ahead..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,261,639 times
Well done Seattle, I picked them as my MLS team before I knew their history, I picked them because their strip and stadium lol but good to see them doing well, and from what I have read it sounds like Seattle is a good and proper football city, obviously there is other sports, but football seems to have taking off there more than any other city.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 AM

4,973 posts, read 6,536,734 times
Damn. I hoped to see Chicago win #5.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM

643 posts, read 995,014 times
The US Open Cup doesn't bother me.
In MLS it's all about the CCL and MLS Cup. Well done to Seattle anyway.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,723,118 times
US Open Cup May Be Ready To Change Up Format For 2012 - SBNation.com

Old 10-07-2011, 04:22 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,859,971 times

It's about time. The whole way this thing has been ran is very amateur. Certain teams always get to host creating an unfair advantage. Pretty much whoever can get the nicest stadium and crowds will get to host.

The USOC Competition Committee told SKC that they would host as long as they kept moving through since they have a new stadium. I mean I like that being a fan of the team but I dont see it as being fair.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:58 PM

7,563 posts, read 16,571,949 times
Its always been a pretty crappy tournament. Change is good though it wont be perfect still.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:30 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,859,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Its always been a pretty crappy tournament. Change is good though it wont be perfect still.
I dont think it is crappy at all. I actually think the concept of the tournament is fantastic. It is a big step in helping develop the sport in this country. It is one of the only times you will get players in the fourth division and possibly lower on the same field as MLS players. One of the top ways that a team or even individual players develop is by playing agaisnt people better than you are.

They just need to make it more organized and find a way to make MLS teams value it more. Hopefully, the MLS will continue to improve in the CCL making that competition more desirable and therefor making the spot you can get by winning the USOC more desirable.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:22 PM

4,973 posts, read 6,536,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I disagree. The '06 USOC games were some of the best times I had as Fire season ticket holder.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 AM

322 posts, read 714,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
The US Open Cup doesn't bother me.
In MLS it's all about the CCL and MLS Cup. Well done to Seattle anyway.
For me personally, I would say that my personal preference list for competitions for the Sounders to win would be 45 percent Champions League, 40 percent MLS Cup and 15 percent U.S. Open Cup. Something like that. So, yes, I would prefer an MLS Cup, but it's not like I am not going to celebrate a U.S. Open Cup, especially three in a row. That game on Tuesday was so exciting and awesome. And much, much bigger than an average MLS regular-season game.

Yes, big changes need to be made to this competition. It may be pretty huge in Seattle, but it still struggles from a lack of respect elsewhere (see LondonUSA's comment above) and the format has a lot to do with it. First, every American-based MLS team has to have an entry spot. Second, I would be 100 percent fine with a simple draw to determine home sites. Even if that hurts the Sounders, it would help the competition so much. But at least making the bid process more transparent would be a huge step up. Hopefully one day it becomes a simple draw (where the team drawn to play at home can decline to host if they wish and the away team prefers to host).

One of the many reasons I love soccer much more than MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL is that there are a variety of competitions to participate in and the bigger the U.S. Open Cup gets, the better it is for this sport in this country. The format of this competition is very similar to March Madness where teams nobody has heard of can play top-level professional clubs in MLS and has a chance to knock them off just like college teams do when the MEAC champion faces the ACC champion or something like that. March Madness has caught America's imagination, and the U.S. Open Cup can do that, at least for the soccer-loving portion of the population, which would be a significant improvement over its present state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The '06 USOC games were some of the best times I had as Fire season ticket holder.
Completely agree. Some of my best memories as a Sounders supporter have been U.S. Open Cup games. Even though the crowds are smaller, the intensity and drama easily make some of those games among the best I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer