U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM

26,345 posts, read 83,326,640 times

Advertisements

There was a CNN article about a non goalie who used his hands to block a shot which resulted in the shooting team being awarded a penalty kick that they subsequently missed.

Luis Suarez - 2010 Unsportsmen of the Year - Photos - SI.com

Is this unsportsmanlike or simply good (but desperate) defense? What non goalie wouldn't do whatever it takes (using hands in goal area) to prevent a goal? It doesn't seem like poor sportsmanship.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,785,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There was a CNN article about a non goalie who used his hands to block a shot which resulted in the shooting team being awarded a penalty kick that they subsequently missed.

Luis Suarez - 2010 Unsportsmen of the Year - Photos - SI.com

Is this unsportsmanlike or simply good (but desperate) defense? What non goalie wouldn't do whatever it takes (using hands in goal area) to prevent a goal? It doesn't seem like poor sportsmanship.

What do you think?

It's cheap. You do whatever you can to stop the shot within the laws of the game. Doing something like using your hands is cheap. If you werent good enough to stop the goal from happening using your skills within the laws of game, you deserved to be scored on. The kind of attitude you are exhibiting is one of the reasons sports has become so corrupt.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,436,411 times
I agree..bad sportsmanship. World Cup does strange things to folks..so much pressure.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,150,763 times
I would have done the exact same TBH.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It's cheap. You do whatever you can to stop the shot within the laws of the game. Doing something like using your hands is cheap. If you werent good enough to stop the goal from happening using your skills within the laws of game, you deserved to be scored on. The kind of attitude you are exhibiting is one of the reasons sports has become so corrupt.

So you would have let the ball go by? I wonder how your teammates would treat you if you just let the goal go by and did nothing - even if illegal - to prevent it. They'd probably be mad as hell at you.

I think I would have used my hands too. Sure it is against rules but it isn't dangerous (doesn't risk injury) and the other team is awarded a penalty kick. I don't think it is any less sportsmanlike than intentionally fouling a player to stop the clock in basketball or walking a dangerous batter with first base open in baseball, or pulling the goaltender with a minute left and you are trailing by a goal in hockey. (I realize the latter two are not against the rules.)

Finally "one of the reasons sports has become so corrupt"; I'd bet most soccer players would have done the same thing, 100 years ago too.

Last edited by Charles; 11-02-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
I agree..bad sportsmanship. World Cup does strange things to folks..so much pressure.
Do you think a high school fullback (non goalie) would have used his hands to prevent the goal? Or, do think that action would only be exhibited at the highest level? I'd bet the high school kid (and 98% of any other soccer players int the world) would do the same thing.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Here's the block on YouTube

World Cup 2010: Luis Suarez Dramatic Handball - YouTube

Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 PM

956 posts, read 983,776 times
What Suarez did was one of the un-classiest plays I have seen in international football. Gyan's penalty miss aside, even in recreational leagues that stunt would have been frowned upon. That his team made it through to the semi-finals holds no bearing on the act in itself. You could try and go the "ends justify the means" route, but Henry's infamous hand-ball was not nearly as bad as that, and it caused ten times the outrage. Seems rather inconsistent doesn't it? From that day forward, Suarez lost all of my respect.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:35 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,150,763 times
I bet 90% of you who are taking the moral high ground would do exact same for your country in the world cup! A ball coming at you at a hundred miles an hour, no time think I would do it without a doubt.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:51 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,844,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I bet 90% of you who are taking the moral high ground would do exact same for your country in the world cup! A ball coming at you at a hundred miles an hour, no time think I would do it without a doubt.
I agree, it's different when you are actually in the situation and under pressure, not behind a screen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer