U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times

Advertisements

Some figures for 2011

Merchandise sales - increased 35%

Attendance - increased 7%

ESPN and ESPN2 TV ratings - increased 16%

FOX Soccer TV ratings - increased 10%

From what I understand sponsorship was up substantially as well but I dont have any figures.

It doesnt matter what industry you are in, having one of these things increase by that margin would be considered successful. To have every single major category experience increases of this level is incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:20 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,085,866 times
Can't ask for more than that!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,424,281 times
Very interesting.

I definitely contributed some $$ lol...not enough but hey.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,673,056 times
This is great! It really looks like the league has taken off .

Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 AM

218 posts, read 210,648 times
That is awesome! I wish we have a team here in Charlote. I would have a season tickets!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,354,667 times
MLS still needs to fix many aspects of the American game but it's on the right track. Ask anyone that has been around the league since its inception and they'll tell you how radically everything has changed. In many markets MLS is providing a fun time at bargain prices as compared to the big leagues. My old Fire season tickets were only $200.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,419,733 times
they also added a couple new teams as well, correct? - Vancouver & Portland?

I'm assuming the attendance is an average per team? - if it's league wide then it's not that great, but on an average that is pretty good as more stadiums get ramped up and places like seattle open up more seats

Definitely a move in the right direction and they should get another organic boost next year as well - then the run up to the WC in 2014

Old 11-19-2011, 02:48 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,139,877 times
That's good news. In terms of merchandise I pitched in and I'm waiting for some Real Salt Lake things I bought to get shipped. MLS is starting to catch on and I like the intelligent pace of expansion: slow and cautious. I like that the salary cap is low since MLS is trying to position itself in the USA. As the sport excels and spectator interest rises the salary cap will increase. MLS is run very nicely.

Go Real Salt Lake.

-Cheers.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:00 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,354,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
That's good news. In terms of merchandise I pitched in and I'm waiting for some Real Salt Lake things I bought to get shipped. MLS is starting to catch on and I like the intelligent pace of expansion: slow and cautious. I like that the salary cap is low since MLS is trying to position itself in the USA. As the sport excels and spectator interest rises the salary cap will increase. MLS is run very nicely.

Go Real Salt Lake.

-Cheers.
The low salary cap is one of the flaws I see in MLS. Average salaries are a joke. Pay will reflect quality of play. Americans will still go abroad to play in countries like Sweden, Norway and Denmark because they pay better.

I remember looking at the Fire salaries back around '07 and I made more than many on the team (including our starting keeper) and I was only pulling in $14 per hour.

It also puts limitations on roster sizes which leads to problems for some clubs in CCL and USOC.

This is not a pee-wee league. Anyone that wants to be cheap can get out of MLS.

Increase the cap, keep players in America and lure quality players here before they reach "old age by Euro standards".

Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,139,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The low salary cap is one of the flaws I see in MLS. Average salaries are a joke. Pay will reflect quality of play. Americans will still go abroad to play in countries like Sweden, Norway and Denmark because they pay better.

I remember looking at the Fire salaries back around '07 and I made more than many on the team (including our starting keeper) and I was only pulling in $14 per hour.

It also puts limitations on roster sizes which leads to problems for some clubs in CCL and USOC.

This is not a pee-wee league. Anyone that wants to be cheap can get out of MLS.

Increase the cap, keep players in America and lure quality players here before they reach "old age by Euro standards".
I'm with you. Fabian Espindola only earned around $75,000 this season MLS is still young relative to the other three major sports. There will be further expansion and most likely realignment and fine tuning. There will be many small market teams in MLS and the league needs every franchise to make money. In most markets MLS is competing with other major sports and/or colleges for revenue.

In short, the league needs to take time to solidify and to make sure that teams can all make money before the salary cap increases. MLS doesn't need to be like the NBA where only a few select teams (cough... big markets... cough) get the top players and the rest of the league is a door mat. There's more parity in MLS than other leagues. I know we all want this to go faster but soccer needs to win over more fans in the U.S. and move forward cautiously. It'll get there.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer