U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,279,209 times
Reputation: 487

Advertisements

One of the reasons the MLS is not taken seriously around the world is because of the playoffs. Every league in the world crowns the team with the most points the champion at the end of the season, not the US, after the regular season ends, over 50% of the teams get to play again to be named champion. At least the team with the most points went on to win this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,768,890 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
One of the reasons the MLS is not taken seriously around the world is because of the playoffs.
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Every league in the world crowns the team with the most points the champion at the end of the season,.
False.


Go do some research and get back to me. There are a few different countries that have playoffs including some countries in Europe. Never once have I read anything from anyone about not taking the MLS seriously because of playoffs.

The World Cup is decided by a playoff. The UEFA Champions league is decided by a playoff. The European Championship is decided by a playoff.

Playoffs are not a unique concept. They are called tournaments in other places but it is the exact same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,768,890 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Sports are all different though, can Americans not differentiate between them all or something? Not all sports need to stick to the same model.

MLS does not come close to following the same model as the other leagues in the country. Playoffs is one of the few things the MLS does that is like other sports.

Playoffs are fun, exciting, and probably most people's favorite part about sports in the U.S.. This last playoff run here in KC was probably the most hype and attention the Kansas City MLS franchise has ever gotten in it's existence from the people of the city and the media.

On top of that, the playoff race keeps teams playing till the end. Did you see how tight the playoff race was this season? People ***** about not having pro/reg but the playoff race replaces it and is actually even more exciting.

The success of MLS depends a lot on the casual fan because you will only have so many diehards. Keeping the playoffs is one of the best ways to keep the casual fans entertained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,125,261 times
Reputation: 4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
False.



False.


Go do some research and get back to me. There are a few different countries that have playoffs including some countries in Europe. Never once have I read anything from anyone about not taking the MLS seriously because of playoffs.

The World Cup is decided by a playoff. The UEFA Champions league is decided by a playoff. The European Championship is decided by a playoff.

Playoffs are not a unique concept. They are called tournaments in other places but it is the exact same thing.
The World Cup etc are tournaments not leagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,424,331 times
Reputation: 5092
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
False.



False.


Go do some research and get back to me. There are a few different countries that have playoffs including some countries in Europe. Never once have I read anything from anyone about not taking the MLS seriously because of playoffs.

The World Cup is decided by a playoff. The UEFA Champions league is decided by a playoff. The European Championship is decided by a playoff.

Playoffs are not a unique concept. They are called tournaments in other places but it is the exact same thing.
You are wrong. I am from Ireland and that was the main reasons when i was there that people took no interest in MLS. Of course you are going to say I am wrong because you probably have a much more worldly view than anybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,279,209 times
Reputation: 487
I am from England and I know for a fact that all the people I knew did not like the MLS because of the playoff structure at the end of the season.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find even one European who prefers the playoff structure to the one their country currently uses.

Which countries have playoffs? As Paul said, Tournaments and leagues are completely different formats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,424,331 times
Reputation: 5092
We must both be wrong then bernco, both being from other countries and having seen different point of views on why MLS is not popular worldwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,279,209 times
Reputation: 487
Yeah we must be. I'm so glad that RjRobb is here to set us straight.

Nice win for your boys this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,424,331 times
Reputation: 5092
Yeh it was, finally. Would have liked a better scoreline at home but a tournament is a tournament. Going by our form 2024 will be our next one too ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 AM
 
Location: Belgium
1,173 posts, read 1,680,021 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Which countries have playoffs? As Paul said, Tournaments and leagues are completely different formats.
The Belgian competition now has a play-off system since a couple of years, and all fans hate it with a passion . We all just feel that the system isn't fair. Can't wait for it to be gone.

But I guess American fans are so used to this system that they would perceive as weird (and probably boring) a normal competition...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top