U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 AM
 
218 posts, read 210,802 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

I prefer playoffs in every sports. And if they don't have the playoffs system I only chooses to watch good matches and good players. I don't follow games hardly only ones that I truly want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The World Cup etc are tournaments not leagues.

And the playoffs is a tournament as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post

Which countries have playoffs? As Paul said, Tournaments and leagues are completely different formats.

Several countries have playoff systems including a few countries in Europe including the Football Championship in England. I have to go catch a flight so I dont have time to look up the list right now but playoffs are most certainly not unique to the U.S. as you claimed in your post.

In fact, the UEFA Champions League is a playoff. It is tournament competition driven by the previous season results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You are wrong. I am from Ireland and that was the main reasons when i was there that people took no interest in MLS. Of course you are going to say I am wrong because you probably have a much more worldly view than anybody else.

The MLS has conducted marketing studies in Europe and other places trying to find ways for the league to be more appealing on an international level. They have done surveys, focus groups and other research to find ways to get more interest. I have read some of these results and I have never seen the playoff mentioned or even rate. I read articles about the MLS daily including ones written in international publications and the only time I see the MLS playoff mentioned is when they discuss the possibility of adding to the EPL or other leagues.

Quality of play compared to other leagues, the transfer system, no single table, no pro/reg, and lack of big stars are the main reasons why there is a lack of interest.

I have actually had conversations with several Europeans that are intrigued by the playoff and read some articles in the Guardian and other UK based papers that mention the idea of adding a play-off to the EPL. The English dont seem to have too much of a problem with the promotion playoff in the Championship, do they?

People like what they are use too. If Europeans have had playoffs in their sports for 100 years, they would love it. If Americans had the crown the best record system for the last 100 years, they would love it.

It isnt a matter of which system is better but rather which system people are use too. People are stubborn creatures who like the way things are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Reputation: 5087
They may have done studies, but they still got a lot of stuff wrong. The overtime, countdown stuff. I got an interest in the Revs (for some reason) back in 95 or 96 and nobody would take an interest in MLS for a few reasons. 1) Playoffs 2) Retirement League 3) Transfers being the top amongst the many supporters I knew and talked with. There is a difference in media speculation and one or two dudes dropping something about a playoff in the EPL than an actual serious discussion that the fans and clubs would want.

Quality of play was a huge issue too which I mentioned as a retirement league. The MLS has somewhat gotten rid of that. Play has improved. Transfer system is a joke, that is for sure. No single table was(is) a reason, no pro reg meaning if youre not a top 5 team you have nothing to look forward to really.

Being intrigued by a playoff and mentioning it in a rag are different to the fans and clubs welcoming a playoff to see who wins. A US style playoff system wouldnt fly in the EPL or a majority of European leagues. There is a difference between a playoff from teh second tier to the top tier compared to deciding what the best team in the nation is. Do people have a problem with it ? Yes. I do and several people I know do. a 3 up 3 down would be much better. The teams that finish top deserve to go up because they earned there place. Do fans still show up for the playoffs ? Yes, why would you desert your team when they did what needed to be done all season.

Youre right it is what people are used to. But I dont think we will lose fans having a world style league vs playoffs. It is what it is, I will always support Colorado even if I dont like the system. I know you dont believe me when I said it before by the Rocky Mountain Cup and Supporters Shield dont mean anything to me with the system we have. Having the most amount of points does not matter in MLS so long as you qualify and SS is a league game, i want to win to win a game and get the points is all.

Stubborn as a mule =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Transfer system is a joke, that is for sure.
Actually, it isnt. The MLS may have the best transfer system in the world. There is a reason MLS teams arent going bankrupt left and right like teams all over the world is and the league is one of the fastest growing in the history of the world. There is no free-for-all spending in MLS, there is an organized structure to give all teams the opportunity to have an equal ability team. Championships all over the world are no longer won, they are purchased. Teams that have won the EPL, La Liga, Serie A and other leagues over the last 10 years havent won ****. They have purchased those trophies. They might as well have gone to the store and bought the trophy. The trophies now go to the highest bidder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
No single table was(is) a reason, no pro reg meaning if youre not a top 5 team you have nothing to look forward to really.
If you're not a top 5 team, you can still make the playoffs. The playoff race includes just as many teams as any pro/reg race does. Anyone that supports the pro/reg system and bashes the playoff system is contradicting themselves because they create the same kind of end of the season excitement and give everyone something to play for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Being intrigued by a playoff and mentioning it in a rag are different to the fans and clubs welcoming a playoff to see who wins. A US style playoff system wouldnt fly in the EPL or a majority of European leagues.
Really? You better be careful, American owners are taking over more and more ownership in the EPL. If they get enough power, it very well could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
There is a difference between a playoff from teh second tier to the top tier compared to deciding what the best team in the nation is.
I think there is where a lot of confusion comes in. Playoffs are not designed to determine who the best team is. Playoffs are designed to determine the champion. Who the champion is and who the best team is are not necessarily and very rarely the same.

The playoffs are nothing more than a tournament. The best team in the world doesnt always win the Champions League and they dont always win the World Cup. That's because that isnt the point of a tournament. Tournaments are designed to determine a champion and it isnt always the best team that rises to that crown. If you support the knockout rounds of the World Cup and Champion League and dont like playoffs in American sports then you are making a fool of yourself because they are the same thing existing in different competitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,271,794 times
Reputation: 487
How did Manchester United buy their trophies?

Comparing the MLS playoffs to the World Cup, Champions League and the English Champions league is just stupid. The first two are tournaments which are completely different to a league system, if you can not grasp that simple concept then you really shouldn't be making comments.

The English Championship playoffs are for the third spot for promotion only, the winner isn't crowned champion, the team with the most points after 46 games is the league winner/champion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Actually, it isnt. The MLS may have the best transfer system in the world. There is a reason MLS teams arent going bankrupt left and right like teams all over the world is and the league is one of the fastest growing in the history of the world. There is no free-for-all spending in MLS, there is an organized structure to give all teams the opportunity to have an equal ability team. Championships all over the world are no longer won, they are purchased. Teams that have won the EPL, La Liga, Serie A and other leagues over the last 10 years havent won ****. They have purchased those trophies. They might as well have gone to the store and bought the trophy. The trophies now go to the highest bidder.
Right, so the whole lets form a new team and just give them players is great. That sure is the best system in the world.

Quote:
If you're not a top 5 team, you can still make the playoffs. The playoff race includes just as many teams as any pro/reg race does. Anyone that supports the pro/reg system and bashes the playoff system is contradicting themselves because they create the same kind of end of the season excitement and give everyone something to play for.
The promotion / relegation struggle is done in regular season. You finish with more points you go up, you dont you stay down. You finish in the bottom 3 you go down. How the hell is that the same as playoffs which takes the top teams and the remaining best teams from two conferences ? How do you compare the two ?

Quote:
Really? You better be careful, American owners are taking over more and more ownership in the EPL. If they get enough power, it very well could happen.
Wont happen.

Quote:
I think there is where a lot of confusion comes in. Playoffs are not designed to determine who the best team is. Playoffs are designed to determine the champion. Who the champion is and who the best team is are not necessarily and very rarely the same.
There is no confusion. I know how it operates, which is why I said I dont care about winning the conference because thats not what MLS is about. You can barely perform and still do it. Look at Colorado.

I still don't see where you compare the MLS playoffs to the World Cup, CL. The World Cup is a tournament. The Champions League is a tournament. Major League Soccer would be a league with a playoff at the end. Albeit a badly setup league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Reputation: 4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
And the playoffs is a tournament as well.
MLS major LEAGUE soccer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Reputation: 4093
quote "EPL, La Liga, Serie A and other leagues over the last 10 years havent won ****. They have purchased those trophies"

Maybe, but they are still the most popular leagues in the world, explain that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top