Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,974,822 times

Advertisements

tour·na·ment/ˈtərnəmənt/

Noun:
  • (in a sport or game) A series of contests between a number of competitors, who compete for an overall prize.

That's the definition of a tournament. You cannot argue facts. The MLS Playoffs is a tournament. The World Cup Finals is a tournament. The Champions League is a tournament. Tournaments have been used to determine champions for a very long time, long before the U.S. was even a country. Yeah, the competitions that proceed those tournaments are different but they are a tournament no less. If you find the World Cup Finals, Champions League, FA Cup, and other tournaments as an acceptable way of finding a champion and not the MLS, you are a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,974,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Right, so the whole lets form a new team and just give them players is great. That sure is the best system in the world.
The expansion draft sucks but that is only one tiny aspect of the MLS.

Quote:
The promotion / relegation struggle is done in regular season. You finish with more points you go up, you dont you stay down. You finish in the bottom 3 you go down. How the hell is that the same as playoffs which takes the top teams and the remaining best teams from two conferences ? How do you compare the two ?
Can you read? I can compare the two because they are both races that happen within the regular season. I thought you paid attention to MLS. Did you not notice the tight playoff race that took place the last few weeks of the season until the last day? That is just as exciting if not more exciting than a pro/reg race.

Quote:
I still don't see where you compare the MLS playoffs to the World Cup, CL. The World Cup is a tournament. The Champions League is a tournament. Major League Soccer would be a league with a playoff at the end. Albeit a badly setup league.
Because they are tournaments. They may be proceeded by different competitions but they are tournaments. I posted the definition since you do not appear to understand.

If the MLS is so badly setup then why has the Sports Business Jounal named the MLS the best ran sports league? Why has the commissioners and other officials of just about every other major sports league in the world go on record admiring the MLS. Why are about half or more of the teams in EPL in debt a mile high while the MLS is financial stable? What is MLS the fastest growing sports league in the history of the U.S?

If you think MLS is a badly setup league then you dont know the first thing about the business of sports. Go take some sports business classes and come back and talk when you know a thing or two about it.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,380,771 times
LMAO.

I love how you get pissed when nobody here agrees with you. Youre still right, get all angry and type the first crap that comes to your mind lol. You do well as a Kansas fan is all I can say.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,825,446 times
I like what I like and thats 1 team winning a LEAGUE over the coarse of a season with every point counting, a team winning that was undoubtedly the best team in the league that season. And yeah the Champions League is a tournament, which is ran alongside the domestic LEAGUE.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:20 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,735,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If the MLS is so badly setup then why has the Sports Business Jounal named the MLS the best ran sports league? Why has the commissioners and other officials of just about every other major sports league in the world go on record admiring the MLS.
Please provide proof to your statements. I couldn't find anything on their website.

Also, FYI

league

noun

a group of athletic teams organized to promote mutual interests and to compete chiefly among themselves.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how Manchester United purchased their trophies.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:41 PM

League of Ireland clubs reject plan for two-tier split - League of Ireland, Soccer - Independent.ie
League of Ireland clubs reject 6 tier split.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,735,508 times
Sports Business Journal has named the NHL as Sports League of the year 2011, MLS has only won it in 2008

Link here

Just for the record, it is only eligible to sports leagues in North America.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 PM

Welll North America = World, right ?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 AM

357 posts, read 726,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
The Belgian competition now has a play-off system since a couple of years, and all fans hate it with a passion . We all just feel that the system isn't fair. Can't wait for it to be gone.

But I guess American fans are so used to this system that they would perceive as weird (and probably boring) a normal competition...
You are absolutely right.

Plus, MLS is also not the only league that uses playoffs.
The most watched league in the States, the Mexican league, uses playoffs.

They use playoffs in Australia, too.

And in Brazil, the first season without playoffs to determine the league champion was 2003.
Campeonato Brasileiro tournament scheduling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
One of the reasons the MLS is not taken seriously around the world is because of the playoffs. Every league in the world crowns the team with the most points the champion at the end of the season, not the US, after the regular season ends, over 50% of the teams get to play again to be named champion. At least the team with the most points went on to win this year.

Playoffs work here. Maybe they don't fit in with a European mentality, but they're here in the States because it fits us.

Last edited by blackconverse; 11-29-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 AM

325 posts, read 786,604 times
Just my opinion of course ...

We really need a balanced schedule as soon as possible. At the very least one where we play everybody in our own conference the same number of times and everybody in the other conference an equal number of times (i.e. 2x those in your conference, 1x those in the other conference). When MLS expands up to 24 teams, we could do that and end up with a balanced 34-game schedule. At least balanced within the conferences.

I hate having playoffs determine a champion, but I understand that it is not going anywhere anytime soon. Not only is it what American sports tend to revolve around, but many of those countries south of us in Central and South America use playoffs. However, each of those countries also has a balanced schedule, which we do not.

A set of pro-rel races does not create the same excitement as having a playoff system. The main difference is that there is a race for first that builds throughout the season when you have pro-rel. But when you have a playoff system, the first-place team just coasts the rest of the way, not really caring if it drops down to second. I would rather have the system where finishing first over a regular season is what was respected and fought for, not coasting into a playoff system where more than half of the teams qualify and then getting lucky by getting hot at the right time and taking home a trophy. The eighth- and seventh-place teams won it in 2009 and 2010.

However, if we are going to have a playoff system, I really like the changes MLS made to the 2012 edition. Having the semifinal round (conference final) be two legs was overdue, and ensuring that we actually have an atmosphere at the final is a huge plus in my book. I went to the MLS Cup Final here in Seattle in 2009 (Salt Lake vs. L.A.), and honestly it was a very dull atmosphere because a good 90+ percent of the people there didn't care who won. And we do not have a country where the supporters of the teams can easily travel to the host site for the final as they can in most of the countries in the world. Especially compared to those in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer