Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:25 PM

6,402 posts, read 8,953,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yep! Bunch of dirtbag anti catholic bastards standing in one stand with a can of Dutch Gold in each hand lol
Hmm...I'm hoping this is a joke as it could easily be countered with a quip about pro-IRA Celtic supporters.

Bringing back standing sections is a great idea. Sitting down is dreadful for atmosphere for any sport. I'd prefer to stand at hockey and NFL games too but it's impossible to do without someone bitching and ushers nagging at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,380,771 times
Celtic supporters are just as equal a dirtbag as Rangers supporters. They can all burn in hell as far as I am concerned.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM

325 posts, read 786,604 times
This is a great move. As mentioned, being forced to sit only hurts the atmosphere, oftentimes dramatically so. Here in Seattle, the majority of the lower level stands the entire game, and it adds so much energy and intensity to the games.

Also, I never understood why terraces were needed to allow fans to stand. Just have the standing sections be in places with seats. Weren't the issues with terraces essentially people toppling over (crushing) each other? Wouldn't this be essentially eliminated if you had rows of seats between each row?

Bottom line, standing needs to be reintroduced to soccer throughout the world. It is incredible what it does to the atmosphere here in Seattle. It adds so much. And we do have plenty of seating areas for fans who wish to enjoy games in that manner.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 AM

Seats are more dangerous in standing areas, gives people more things to stand on and fall over.

Sent from my Alcatel OT-981A using Tapatalk

Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,321,710 times
Outside of the two obvious venues, where else is standing room needed? Is this Scotland just milking the same cows even more?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Everywhere should be allowed to have safe standing areas if they want it.
I am sure there are many clubs sitting back and waiting to see what happens in Scotland before they kick up a fuss too.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 AM

325 posts, read 786,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Seats are more dangerous in standing areas, gives people more things to stand on and fall over.
Don't allow people to stand on the seats. I don't know about in Scotland, but here in America I have rarely seen people stand on the seats, especially if they are the retractable ones that flip up once you stand up. Bottom line, in my opinion those concerns are much less than the crushing and other concerns I would have with having terraces.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:19 AM

If the terraces are designed right there is no crushing. Only way you get crushing is from over crowding and badly designed terraces.

Back home we used to stand on the folded seats. Not much security can do if there is 200 people doing it. You just put things in the way for people to fall over is all seats are.

Do terraces and do them safely.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,968,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Don't allow people to stand on the seats. I don't know about in Scotland, but here in America I have rarely seen people stand on the seats, especially if they are the retractable ones that flip up once you stand up. Bottom line, in my opinion those concerns are much less than the crushing and other concerns I would have with having terraces.
In our stadium (AA Gent), we also stand on the seats all the time (those being the seats behind the goal). At the sides, they're more often sitting down though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer