U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:53 AM

62 posts, read 59,440 times

Advertisements

Paris is not as big as London, only 2 000 000 Habs... I can tell you most of the suburb's inhabitants don't feel parisian at all...

Btw Berlin is in the same case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:01 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,920,109 times
Not every London team has been well supported, and one attempt to create such a club complete with 120,000 capacity stadium proved something of a fiasco.

Thames A.F.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I don't know enough to comment on Paris football, but do know that football clubs have to be rooted in some kind of community or social history to be well supported.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:02 AM

7,811 posts, read 6,639,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Not every London team has been well supported, and one attempt to create such a club complete with 120,000 capacity stadium proved something of a fiasco.

Thames A.F.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I don't know enough to comment on Paris football, but do know that football clubs have to be rooted in some kind of community or social history to be well supported.
I don't think you can juse 'create' a club and expect everybody to start supporting it (I know I wouldn't), I have listed below the 2013/14 'average' attendance of all (professional league) London clubs and bearing in mind that Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs would all have higher average attendances if their stadiums were bigger you can imagine the potential crowds one London team would get (if there was only 1 available):-

PREMIER LEAGUE
Arsenal 60,013
Chelsea 41,482
Spurs 35,808
West Ham 34,197
Fulham 24,977
Crystal Palace 24,375

CHAMPIONSHIP
QPR 16,656
Charlton 16,134
Watford 15,512
Millwall 11,063

LEAGUE 1
Brentford 7,716
Orient 5,468

LEAGUE 2
Wimbledon 4,135
Dagenham & Redbridge 1,920

Total: 299,456 - Wouldn't be a bad home crowd but it would need to be an impressive stadium!

Last edited by easthome; 06-04-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 01:25 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,920,109 times
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to calculate what percentage of those supporters do not live in the capital, but are descended from the various waves of people who have moved to the Home Counties over the years. Most people I know support a London team, much to the disgust of local clubs like Gilllingham. I would also guess many of the places those clubs are named after are minority areas for traditional football supporters.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 AM

264 posts, read 205,101 times
I think that if you can call teams in London 'Big teams' then theres only 4. Arsenal, Spurs. Chelsea and West Ham.
Theyve all experienced some sort of European trophy winning success, Spurs and Arsenal are top division stalwarts, neither have been out of the top division for many decades years ,since the 70s in Spur's case and for a century in Arsenal's - though mention this to a Spurs fan and bitter old grievances and justifiable anger may erupt.

Chelsea, despite the success and fashionable reputation from the 50s onward, were prone to yo-yoing between the top 2 divisions until the millenium and West Ham still havent yet shaken off that tendency to do so.

Crystal Palace, Fulham, QPR and maybe Millwall and Charlton might still be regarded as 2nd tier London sides, while the rest arent big clubs at all.

Not that thats a bad thing. Ive been to both Brentford and Orient home games in my time and enjoyed the matches, grounds and atmosphere far more than i ever did the times i went to Highbury , the Boleyn Ground and Stamford Bridge.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:35 PM

3,878 posts, read 1,019,863 times
Isn't the French National team good though? What are they ranked?

Old 05-24-2017, 05:46 AM

7,811 posts, read 6,639,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonNI View Post
I think that if you can call teams in London 'Big teams' then theres only 4. Arsenal, Spurs. Chelsea and West Ham.
Theyve all experienced some sort of European trophy winning success, Spurs and Arsenal are top division stalwarts, neither have been out of the top division for many decades years ,since the 70s in Spur's case and for a century in Arsenal's - though mention this to a Spurs fan and bitter old grievances and justifiable anger may erupt.

Chelsea, despite the success and fashionable reputation from the 50s onward, were prone to yo-yoing between the top 2 divisions until the millenium and West Ham still havent yet shaken off that tendency to do so.

Crystal Palace, Fulham, QPR and maybe Millwall and Charlton might still be regarded as 2nd tier London sides, while the rest arent big clubs at all.

Not that thats a bad thing. Ive been to both Brentford and Orient home games in my time and enjoyed the matches, grounds and atmosphere far more than i ever did the times i went to Highbury , the Boleyn Ground and Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea were 'fashionable' way before the 50's, they were the first club to 'average' greater than 40,000 spectators for home games, they were hardly a yo-yo club, in fact Spurs and Chelsea have both spent exactly the same amount of seasons in the 2nd division in their history (though Chelsea have been relegated 6 times to Spurs 4), Spurs themselves have only actually won the league twice I believe. However despite being a popular 'draw' for fans for the first 50 years of their existence Chelsea's trophy return was somewhat disastrous!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:03 AM

3,660 posts, read 3,522,136 times
Even a big city like Barcelona has only 1 Football club of note. Other big European cities like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt have 1 club only.
By contrast Istanbul, Lisbon, Madrid, Milan, Rome, Glasgow, North Rhine-westphalia metropolitan region has multiple big clubs.
Historical reasons, conflict in the management of one big club where a faction makes its own club in the same city, sectarian rivalry, different political support, class struggle all contribute in having fascinating rivalry between multiple clubs of the same city.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 PM

13 posts, read 5,137 times
I only able to think of Paris Saint Germain. Not too interested with their league.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:05 PM

693 posts, read 384,611 times
Historically, the high guys who control PSG (who came from the fusion of two differents clubs) use their influence to kill all other club in Paris and avoid they reach the professionnal level.
They don't want any concurent.

The "football market" is also smaller in France than in UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or