U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,426,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
We are from Wi also and I know what you mean! We now live in eastern Pa, about half way between Phillie and New York, so we have both teams close enough to attend. Youth soccer is huge here as are adult leagues. Many British transplants in the area as well to keep interest high. Love, love, love all the options
is this the royal we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,361,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
is this the royal we?
No, it's the " my family and I ", but thanks for asking!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,750,375 times
As far as youth soccer participation, Dallas, Kansas City, and St. Louis have very high numbers and I think they are all ranked Top 5 in the country in that regard. All three also host national tournaments every year.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,750,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Why not support your local team at the same level as you do when these ''giants'' come to town?
It is the mindset that you can see your club team any time but you might only get a chance to see those teams once. In addition, you also have thousands of people coming in from hours away to see the match. When Man U came her a couple of years ago, I saw license plates for 12 different states in the parking lot.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,014,416 times
Seattle by far. No city even comes close.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM

247 posts, read 223,051 times
Definitely Seattle.

But isn't Portland highly populated with fans too? Those Timbers fans...

Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,014,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some1Azn View Post
Definitely Seattle.

But isn't Portland highly populated with fans too? Those Timbers fans...
Yeah, I'd say Portland is up there as well.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 AM

845 posts, read 1,449,015 times
Im a Columbus Crew fan, since I live in Northwest Ohio and nothing else is close. Im not a diehard fan really though. I just enjoy the opportunity to watch professional soccer. I worry that it wont survive here though. I saw attendance numbers somewhere, and I believe we were second to last, just ahead of San Jose, who I believe has a small stadium(?), and I think their averages were right around the capacity of the stadium, which would indicate to me theyre practically sold out every game? I have no idea, but if thats close to the truth, Columbus really has to do something quick. I think we just suffer from being too much of a college town. All attention revolves around Ohio State, and the two professional teams Columbus has, both dont attract much attention. I think maybe our sort of outdated bleacher stadium, albeit the first soccer specific stadium in the league, doesnt help, nor does its location. But those factors cant be the only things.

Just wondering if any of you more diehard fans have any opinion on what my teams doing wrong. Not gonna offend me. Im just a casual fan. I just wonder if theyll wind up moving our franchise to another city or something if they fail to perform (financially/popularity) in Columbus, and I would hate to lose our only top tier soccer.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:09 AM

247 posts, read 223,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Im a Columbus Crew fan, since I live in Northwest Ohio and nothing else is close. Im not a diehard fan really though. I just enjoy the opportunity to watch professional soccer. I worry that it wont survive here though. I saw attendance numbers somewhere, and I believe we were second to last, just ahead of San Jose, who I believe has a small stadium(?), and I think their averages were right around the capacity of the stadium, which would indicate to me theyre practically sold out every game? I have no idea, but if thats close to the truth, Columbus really has to do something quick. I think we just suffer from being too much of a college town. All attention revolves around Ohio State, and the two professional teams Columbus has, both dont attract much attention. I think maybe our sort of outdated bleacher stadium, albeit the first soccer specific stadium in the league, doesnt help, nor does its location. But those factors cant be the only things.

Just wondering if any of you more diehard fans have any opinion on what my teams doing wrong. Not gonna offend me. Im just a casual fan. I just wonder if theyll wind up moving our franchise to another city or something if they fail to perform (financially/popularity) in Columbus, and I would hate to lose our only top tier soccer.
I think it's because most Americans are not to fond of the sport, unless it's the Olympics or World Cup. I know people that love it, and others that claim it isn't a real sport(oh yeah, but NASCAR is?). Personally, I love it and am a New England Revolution fan even though they stink. Hell, I'm even a Boston Breakers supporter in women's soccer!

Someday, I hope many Americans will like this sport and watch it religiously.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Rochester NY is a sleeper, as they support these teams: rhinossoccer.com: Home

Women's Professional Soccer :: Women's Professional Soccer :: Western New York

Official Website of the Rochester Lancers Professional Indoor Soccer Team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or