U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,581,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Seattle?
Agreed! Where else in the USA is the MLS regarded as "Major League" by the average joe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM

679 posts, read 570,361 times
Good to see the thread back open!

I think we established Seattle as the front runner as of now.

What about NYC? Heavy foreign population, internationally focused, possible return of the Cosmos?

What do you think about its potential?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,789,383 times
I've heard soccer is pretty popular in St. Louis, Hartford, Phoenix and Trenton NJ.

Can anyone attest to this?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 AM

782 posts, read 936,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I've heard soccer is pretty popular in St. Louis, Hartford, Phoenix and Trenton NJ.

Can anyone attest to this?
Most of them yes, but Phoenix is a bad sports town, Trenton is too small and insignificant, AND puts another franchise in an area that allready has 2 NY teams. Hartford I don't know anything about. Of those listed St Louis is by far the best choice.

I also think that they want more coverage in the south though, so the North Carolina (another soccer hotbed) should be considered, and if they are hot to force a team into Florida it should be in Tampa or Orlando and NOT Miami.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,292,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Most of them yes, but Phoenix is a bad sports town, Trenton is too small and insignificant, AND puts another franchise in an area that allready has 2 NY teams. Hartford I don't know anything about. Of those listed St Louis is by far the best choice.

I also think that they want more coverage in the south though, so the North Carolina (another soccer hotbed) should be considered, and if they are hot to force a team into Florida it should be in Tampa or Orlando and NOT Miami.
Miami Holds the state record for soccer attendance at 71k. if that isn't enough of a reason to bring a team there I don't know what is.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 AM

782 posts, read 936,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Miami Holds the state record for soccer attendance at 71k. if that isn't enough of a reason to bring a team there I don't know what is.
Although Tampa also lost a previous franchise in the same way as Miami, they actually supported theirs while it was there, and had good attendences. Miami was horrible and rightfully disapeared. Tampa also has Bradenton right there, and more of a history of support of the sport. Tampa is not (rightfully) known as one of the worst American cities for the support of professional sports, as Miami is.

We have been down this road before, your argument basically boils down to a few facts taken out of context and a statement of "I want them here, so they should come here."

Old 06-25-2013, 03:36 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,440,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
but Phoenix is a bad sports town
yes & no

It's a hit or miss city for supporting teams ... it's complex in that it's very saturated and transplant heavy

However, there are tons of options and outlets for sports viewing and even more for playing.

Youth sports participation is high. A lot of adult leagues (for soccer and everything else).

There is year round baseball here that is very accessible, the most attended golf event is here and you can play year round, a pair on Nascar races, other motorsports options, all 4 major sports (currently), a major D1 university, arena football and pretty much anything that tours will stop here. Super bowls, college bowl games (including BCS championship games), showcase events in lesser sports/events (heck, even hosted Wrestlemania) as well as all star games have been out here.

So while the professional teams can have challenges getting a draw, it's an awesome place to be a sports fan and to play sports.

Soccer specific a lot of youth leagues, adult leagues, just started up the Phoenix FC Wolves, there is some MLS training that goes on out here, you'll find bars that will play soccer and a good number of soccer fans of the major professional leagues/teams ..... University of Phoenix stadium frequently has friendlies (for example, Real Madrid & LA Galaxy are playing here in August)

They drew 62,000 fans when the US beat Mexico in 2007 .... over 43,000 showed up to watch a friendly between Mexico & Denmark this pass January

USWNT has been here recently .... a lot of opportunities to watch different events

Old 06-25-2013, 03:37 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,440,352 times
Where I grew up in upstate NY soccer was also very popular

Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,144,482 times
Southern California.

-Cheers!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM

130 posts, read 201,157 times
"They drew 62,000 fans when the US beat Mexico in 2007 .... over 43,000 showed up to watch a friendly between Mexico & Denmark this pass January"

Key word is MEXICO, how many would attend if it was Poland or Turkey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or