U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times

Advertisements

Does it matter?

Are the people in attendance not part of the metro who would be interested in soccer - which is what the question is about? Of if someone has Mexican heritage are they not worthy of being a soccer fan in your opinion?

The USWNT has played friendlies out here the last couple of years against Ireland & Sweden (maybe others, can't recall off the top of my head) and they typically draw 10,000-15,000 which is a good crowd. A little less than what the USWNT drew playing in Houston or Detroit, but a little more than when they played at FAU stadium in FL.

In 2012 the USMNT drew 22,000 in a game against Venezuela. This was similar to the crowd that the USMNT drew in matches vs Atigua & Barbados in Tampa, vs Jamaica in Columbus, and better than the 17,000 that showed up in KC to see them play Guatemala
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM

130 posts, read 201,085 times
You just answered the question, yes it does matter that Mexico was the opponent for these match's that drew 40,000 or so more then Venezuela or USWNT. Its simple demographics, Mexicans are gonna show up if 'El Tri" are playing in your backyard, just like Poles in Chicago to see Poland play at Solder Field, ect... These games are gonna draw marginal and non soccer fans just because there home country is playing and many are not interested in club soccer....

"Of if someone has Mexican heritage are they not worthy of being a soccer fan in your opinion?" Wow, really?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
Hey - you were the one who wanted to discount them.

Many other cities get a boost because they have a large immigrant population and it is used as a justification for why they could be a good market.

Yet when Phoenix gets a good showing from their immigrant population when the MX national team or an exhibition between MX club teams comes to the city it's suddendly discounted as "well of course they had people show up because it was teams that the population was interested in"

Not sure why you would dismiss Phoenix for showing up under such circumstances ... if that is not what you meant then so be it, but it's sure how it read

Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,289,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-drive View Post
You just answered the question, yes it does matter that Mexico was the opponent for these match's that drew 40,000 or so more then Venezuela or USWNT. Its simple demographics, Mexicans are gonna show up if 'El Tri" are playing in your backyard, just like Poles in Chicago to see Poland play at Solder Field, ect... These games are gonna draw marginal and non soccer fans just because there home country is playing and many are not interested in club soccer....

"Of if someone has Mexican heritage are they not worthy of being a soccer fan in your opinion?" Wow, really?
True, when mexico played colombia here I was pleasantly surprised to see that mexico for once didn't have homefeild advantage playing in the usa

Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,500,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Hey - you were the one who wanted to discount them.

Many other cities get a boost because they have a large immigrant population and it is used as a justification for why they could be a good market.

Yet when Phoenix gets a good showing from their immigrant population when the MX national team or an exhibition between MX club teams comes to the city it's suddendly discounted as "well of course they had people show up because it was teams that the population was interested in"

Not sure why you would dismiss Phoenix for showing up under such circumstances ... if that is not what you meant then so be it, but it's sure how it read
i'm not sure why people use the term market when talking about supporters.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM

207 posts, read 273,921 times
Seattle is definitely the favorite here, along with St. Louis, Miami, Dallas and basically the entire West Coast...The 23 highest attended men's soccer games in the U.S. are all in California. The Rose Bowl in Pasadena still holds the all-time attendance for a women's game with over 90,000, Stanford Stadium is 4th with over 73,000 (I was one of them). You have to mention California in any list imho.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,289,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
i'm not sure why people use the term market when talking about supporters.
because that's what drives the decisions of MLS. whether or not a market can support a team, turn a profit and increase the quality of futbol being played.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,500,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
because that's what drives the decisions of MLS. whether or not a market can support a team, turn a profit and increase the quality of futbol being played.
at the same time you have to consider how being referred to as a market could turn off potential supporters of the club.

supporters aren't referred to as markets anywhere else in the football world and last I checked football was doing very well globally.

I think people are too willingly to accept certain lingo like "markets" instead of fans and "franchise" instead of clubs. McDonalds is a franchise. A football team is a club.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
Soccer has been popular with children all over the country.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
at the same time you have to consider how being referred to as a market could turn off potential supporters of the club.

supporters aren't referred to as markets anywhere else in the football world and last I checked football was doing very well globally.

I think people are too willingly to accept certain lingo like "markets" instead of fans and "franchise" instead of clubs. McDonalds is a franchise. A football team is a club.
Teams have been around for about 100 years in most other countries in the world already, there is no need to talk about markets when referring to them. You're talking about MLS which teams are less than 20 years old and when you want to plop a new team into the league you have to look at markets. You cant just say man I love Albuquerque lets put a team there. You have to look at the overall market, the potential fanbase, do they have USL there, transportation, accommodation, money etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or