U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 PM

245 posts, read 256,243 times

Advertisements

The MLS needs to merge with the other leagues around like when NBA and ABA merged in the past and then it helped the NBA grow. In addition teams in other leagues like Richmond Kickers have a fan base consequently it will create a strong rivalry with DC United and teams from the Carolinas like "charleston battery"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
I would imagine the Southwest (including Texas) and California since they have the largest Hispanic population. The average third generation Mexican-American in Houston could probably tell you a lot more about the game than the average white, black or Asian person living in Seattle or Chicago. It's a part of their culture whereas for most Americans it's simply a nice, enjoyable acitivity for the kiddies until it's time for them to do something else.

The only time I really see soccer on TV in restaurants is when I'm eating at a Mexican/Honduran/Bolivian restaurant. For certain games, the whole entire staff, including the owner, will be crowded in front of the TV cheering or sighing. I've never seen that level of emotional investment in the sport outside of the Latin and West African community in America (and the latter is much, much smaller). Even my cleaning lady will watch games as she's dusting and yell at my television in Spanish.

When soccer is on TV in a NYC sports bar that does not cater specifically to the Latin American or Euro expat crowd (which is also small), it's always during the World Cup. That's the only time you see a soccer match on the big, center screen. Otherwise, it may be on one of the random TVs in the back of the restaurant with Carmelo, Deron Williams, A-Rod, Eli or Sanchez on the larger more prominent televisions.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
The MLS needs to merge with the other leagues around like when NBA and ABA merged in the past and then it helped the NBA grow. In addition teams in other leagues like Richmond Kickers have a fan base consequently it will create a strong rivalry with DC United and teams from the Carolinas like "charleston battery"
I think MLS needs home-grown stars, which can only be the result of soccer really taking root at the grass roots level. And I'm not talking about organized youth soccer leagues. I'm talking about the sport becoming a backyard, trash-talking, street game where true creativity is allowed to flourish without the supervision of coaches.

To this day, I can't remember how or when I learned to play basketball. I'm sure it started with my brother and I trying to beat our dad. Then there were other kids in the neighborhood that we'd see outside shooting around and we'd join in. Then we started riding bikes to other neighborhoods and started playing with those kids. By the time I was 11 or 12, I had probably put in a few thousand hours worth of practice after waking up at 8am during summer vacation, eating cereal, and then heading outside to play basketball. Much of the stuff I still do today goes back to my days as a kid watching older guys on the court.

Listen to Dwayne Wade, for example, talk about how he learned his windmill crossover dribble from watching his father.

The Art Of The Windmill Crossover with Dwyane Wade - YouTube

We simply don't have this in soccer. There's not the same inter-generational transfer of knowledge because we don't have many people truly playing the sport. Until soccer really becomes a grass roots game, regular kids won't be able to identify with the sport's stars no matter how good they are.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think MLS needs home-grown stars, which can only be the result of soccer really taking root at the grass roots level. And I'm not talking about organized youth soccer leagues. I'm talking about the sport becoming a backyard, trash-talking, street game where true creativity is allowed to flourish without the supervision of coaches.

To this day, I can't remember how or when I learned to play basketball. I'm sure it started with my brother and I trying to beat our dad. Then there were other kids in the neighborhood that we'd see outside shooting around and we'd join in. Then we started riding bikes to other neighborhoods and started playing with those kids. By the time I was 11 or 12, I had probably put in a few thousand hours worth of practice after waking up at 8am during summer vacation, eating cereal, and then heading outside to play basketball. Much of the stuff I still do today goes back to my days as a kid watching older guys on the court.

Listen to Dwayne Wade, for example, talk about how he learned his windmill crossover dribble from watching his father.

We simply don't have this in soccer. There's not the same inter-generational transfer of knowledge because we don't have many people truly playing the sport. Until soccer really becomes a grass roots game, regular kids won't be able to identify with the sport's stars no matter how good they are.
I agree with this. I want to play soccer friendly games and I can't find a place to play it in my neighborhood or even in my metro area (so far).

Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,396,020 times
You cant find a field and put down to coats for goal posts like we always did ?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You cant find a field and put down to coats for goal posts like we always did ?
He could, but he'd likely be playing alone. If I wanted to be really good at soccer (or I wanted my kid to be really good at it), I'd just go to a Hispanic neighborhood where you can find pickup soccer matches all the time. The problem is that most non-Hispanic people don't have much contact with Hispanics outside of housekeeper/construction worker relationships, so it's hard to just send your kids down the street to play soccer. The vast majority of American neighborhoods are still segregated. When you're talking about the average middle to upper middle class white kid, he's probably living on a block that has no Hispanic kids whatsoever.

Texas may be a different story. Didn't Clint Dempsey grow up playing with Mexican-American kids? I mean, if you look at the current U.S. side, a lot of our players are Hispanic, African, have some type of international connection and/or grew up in the Southwest/Cali.

United States men's national soccer team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2013, 01:36 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,308,513 times
Kicking a ball off a wall worked well for me growing up. Playing on a freezing Sunday morning, getting lumps kicked out of me, didn't.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 PM

I guess we need public soccer fields or just fields for soccer practice like basketball courts

Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,396,020 times
Ive been observing around my estate and see kids playing ball in a field a lot. Probably five times a week there is a bunch of kids kicking a (real) football around. My boy has 3 and even if hes not out playing with them they ask if they can use it. At this stage he pretty much leaves it in the front garden for people to take.

Its going to take years for it to be played at a decent level by kids on the street. We are seeing youth players slowly trickle into first team in MLS too, that should happen more often in the next 5 years. O'Neill for Colorado came up through the under age setup.

MLS is the first proper attempt at a league that America has come up with IMHO and for being so young and slowly increasing attendances its doing OK. The future is bright.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM

130 posts, read 201,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Wow, dude, you are really out there. Thank God we don't have trash talking, gangster wannabes, thug mental idiots playing "soccer" , that's what we have the NBA and NFL for. Kids need to see humble, modest, intelligent athletes if anything. Keep your mouth shut, the only thing that matters is the scoreboard.

Wade cheated on his wife and gave her herpes, is he gonna tell his kids this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or