U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:16 PM

6,355 posts, read 6,454,250 times

Advertisements

I say New Jersey. It was popular here before it was anywhere else in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:13 AM
JJG

13,251 posts, read 19,249,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
I guess we need public soccer fields or just fields for soccer practice like basketball courts
We have PLENTY of those.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 PM

245 posts, read 257,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
We have PLENTY of those.
I wish I can find one in DC

Old 07-27-2013, 09:29 PM
JJG

13,251 posts, read 19,249,786 times
Quote:
There are several soccer public soccer fields in DFW and this ain't exactly "soccer country".

I'm actually kind of surprised about that.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 AM

28,367 posts, read 26,401,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-drive View Post
Wow, dude, you are really out there. Thank God we don't have trash talking, gangster wannabes, thug mental idiots playing "soccer" , that's what we have the NBA and NFL for. Kids need to see humble, modest, intelligent athletes if anything. Keep your mouth shut, the only thing that matters is the scoreboard.
Well, if that's the case, then we're doing a pretty mediocre job, right?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM

21,481 posts, read 22,049,696 times
Quote:
I rember seeing a game being played in the field between where you rent the paddleboats near the Jefferson Memorial and the Holocaust Museum.

LOL, I just looked it up on Google Maps...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=washi...gl=us&t=h&z=19

Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM

130 posts, read 201,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, if that's the case, then we're doing a pretty mediocre job, right?
What are we doing, what do you mean? I'm talking about playing the game, and not talking trash, embarrassing the opposition or yourself. the only thing that matters in the score at the end of 90.

"Soccer" is just fine here in North America, we don't have to shove it down peoples throats, its a great sport and it sells itself.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM

245 posts, read 257,088 times
The roots for Soccer also start from the streets. The difference is games on the streets is more about the individual and include more fancy individual show offs like: dribbling however this rarely happens in an official game where its more of a team game and is not concerned with the individual but the performance of the team.

Things like trash talking and ESPN drama is a cultural thing and not an aspect of the sport unlike: Basketball, American football and fighting in Hockey where its part of the game. Bad behavior in soccer is not tolerated and the offender is automatically penalized.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 PM

28,367 posts, read 26,401,005 times
Quote:
The roots for Soccer also start from the streets.
In Mexico, sure. Not in America.

Quote:
The difference is games on the streets is more about the individual and include more fancy individual show offs like: dribbling however this rarely happens in an official game where its more of a team game and is not concerned with the individual but the performance of the team.
Taking the game to the streets is important for two reasons.

First, it allows you to develop greater creativity and technical skills in a way that's not possible in organized play. There's a lot to be said for just spending hundreds and hundreds of hours developing rudimentary skills at an early age against various players. You also develop better intuition and instinct on the streetball level. Once that basic foundation is in place, you can then begin introduce more structured play. That's essentially what we do in every other sport and that system has worked extremely well. I'm sure Lebron James did not start out playing basketball in pee-wee leagues. He probably just played outside with his friends, and once his talent was recognized, he was placed in leagues and given more formal instruction (and continued to play streetball after school).

Second, it obviously expands the pool of talent to select from. The focus needs to be on getting the best players period, not just the best players that can afford to play.

Quote:
Things like trash talking and ESPN drama is a cultural thing and not an aspect of the sport unlike: Basketball, American football and fighting in Hockey where its part of the game. Bad behavior in soccer is not tolerated and the offender is automatically penalized.
Why so much emphasis on the trash-talking part of my post? That wasn't really the thrust of the post. The point was that for America to really excel at soccer on the international stage, it must truly become a grassroots sport here the way basketball is. In its current incarnation, it's largely a pay to play sport.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM

6,355 posts, read 6,454,250 times
I do want to point out one thing though:

There is already plenty of showboating, trash-talking, mad bad sportsmanlike conduct, and overall buffoonery going in with players who do Formal, pay to play, Town Rec, Organized High Schools sports leagues/ teams as there is existing in the street ball world. Unless you live in a warzone where there is no such thing as organized leagues, but only organized crime.

Take it from someone who has played both kinds. I actually found it difficult to transition into more traditional organized play. The kids who played in said leagues had more prestige than the street ballers. The formality gives that type of play more meaning, more pressure, and that makes being competent in that type of play more important than just being awesome at playing street ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or