U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,273,936 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why there seems to be this association between "streetball" and flashy, loud-mouthed, gun-toting thugs. It's like some of you watched an And1 mixed-tape and figured that that's what's meant by "streetball." When I say "streetball," I simply mean kids gathering together in an informal setting to play, which is what Julius Erving, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West all did. They didn't get strapped in an SUV and shuttled around from suburb to suburb for games like so many youth soccer players in America. Their first interaction with the game was on the playground or the backyard with friends, not some organized youth league with tournament fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Take it from someone who has played both kinds. I actually found it difficult to transition into more traditional organized play. The kids who played in said leagues had more prestige than the street ballers. The formality gives that type of play more meaning, more pressure, and that makes being competent in that type of play more important than just being awesome at playing street ball.
The difference between soccer and basketball players in the U.S. is that the latter are also streetballers.

I've played basketball in pretty much every format. Started out shooting with my brother and father. Then started playing "21" and "All Man" with neighborhood kids. By 9, I attended my first basketball camp with boys from all over the city. Played my first year of organized school ball in 7th Grade. Started attending camps on a regular basis. When I got to high school, we traveled all around the city for pickup games on different playgrounds. I think pretty much every basketball player has a similar experience. We just don't have that type of culture for soccer here.

Looking back, there's no way I'd be the same player without those streetball games.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM

6,252 posts, read 6,388,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't understand why there seems to be this association between "streetball" and flashy, loud-mouthed, gun-toting thugs. It's like some of you watched an And1 mixed-tape and figured that that's what's meant by "streetball." When I say "streetball," I simply mean kids gathering together in an informal setting to play, which is what Julius Erving, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West all did. They didn't get strapped in an SUV and shuttled around from suburb to suburb for games like so many youth soccer players in America. Their first interaction with the game was on the playground or the backyard with friends, not some organized youth league with tournament fees.
I think because of that post you made.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM

6,252 posts, read 6,388,098 times
Quote:
The difference between soccer and basketball players in the U.S. is that the latter are also streetballers.

I've played basketball in pretty much every format. Started out shooting with my brother and father. Then started playing "21" and "All Man" with neighborhood kids. By 9, I attended my first basketball camp with boys from all over the city. Played my first year of organized school ball in 7th Grade. Started attending camps on a regular basis. When I got to high school, we traveled all around the city for pickup games on different playgrounds. I think pretty much every basketball player has a similar experience. We just don't have that type of culture for soccer here.

Looking back, there's no way I'd be the same player without those streetball games.
7th grade ? ? ?, boy I thought I was late.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I think because of that post you made.
I didn't say anything about thugs, gangster wannabes, or showboating in my post.

Quote:
I think MLS needs home-grown stars, which can only be the result of soccer really taking root at the grass roots level. And I'm not talking about organized youth soccer leagues. I'm talking about the sport becoming a backyard, trash-talking, street game where true creativity is allowed to flourish without the supervision of coaches.
How does that post warrant this response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-drive View Post
Wow, dude, you are really out there. Thank God we don't have trash talking, gangster wannabes, thug mental idiots playing "soccer" , that's what we have the NBA and NFL for. Kids need to see humble, modest, intelligent athletes if anything. Keep your mouth shut, the only thing that matters is the scoreboard.
And the racial bias comes right out. Basketball was a "backyard, trash-talking, street game" when it was played by Jews in New York City in the 50s. So I'm not quite sure why there would be such a strong association with "streetball" and "trash talking, gangster wannabes, thug mental idiots" when all types of people play "streetball." I mean, do you really think trash talk and "streetball" is something limited to a certain demographic?

The Sandlot classic scene - YouTube

Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
We just put my boys into a club, during the summer they practice 1x a week, but there are two optional days where they just play games. There is a coach to control the boys, but doesn't "coach" during this time, more of a baby sitter. It is really just free play time, which would be similar to "street ball", I guess. My boys can't get more than 2 on 2 games going in our yard, maybe when they are older, that's why we had them join the club earlier than I wanted.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
In 2012 the USMNT drew 22,000 in a game against Venezuela. This was similar to the crowd that the USMNT drew in matches vs Atigua & Barbados in Tampa, vs Jamaica in Columbus, and better than the 17,000 that showed up in KC to see them play Guatemala

That 17k was a sellout here in KC. CONCACAF and FIFA will not allow certain sections of the stadium or SRO tickets to be sold so the capacity for international matches is only a little over 17k at Sporting Park.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
at the same time you have to consider how being referred to as a market could turn off potential supporters of the club.

supporters aren't referred to as markets anywhere else in the football world and last I checked football was doing very well globally.

I think people are too willingly to accept certain lingo like "markets" instead of fans and "franchise" instead of clubs. McDonalds is a franchise. A football team is a club.

Being referred to as a market isnt turning off any potential supporters. A market is a geographically or demographical group of people that a business will choose to promote their product too. Without marketing, a company is not going to grow their customers.

The football clubs around the world use the term market or the equivalent in whatever language they speak. A football club is a business just like McDonald's and businesses are always looking to gain new customers. When the football clubs you seem to think are so different develop advertising campaigns or engage in other marketing activities, they identify markets they wish to target and develop their marketing plans to do so. Supporters are a part of geographical and demographical markets. There isnt a single person in this world that doesnt fit within a market and many of them at that.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
We just put my boys into a club, during the summer they practice 1x a week, but there are two optional days where they just play games. There is a coach to control the boys, but doesn't "coach" during this time, more of a baby sitter. It is really just free play time, which would be similar to "street ball", I guess. My boys can't get more than 2 on 2 games going in our yard, maybe when they are older, that's why we had them join the club earlier than I wanted.
I guess I would call that "street ball." It sounds similar to having open gym back in middle and high school where you could do whatever you wanted. Most boys would play basketball and most girls would jump rope or do whatever it is that girls do (really don't remember).

The big difference, of course, is that the pool of talent for basketball is the general school age population. Pretty much everyone starts out playing the game on some level--usually during recess in elementary school and then after school hoops with friends--and then the weaker players simply don't make the cut for middle and high school teams. In soccer, you're starting out with a much smaller pool and your ability to compete can be compromised by a lack of financial resources. So in essence, you're getting the best players that can afford to play rather than the best players.

How old are your boys, btw? They sound really young (around 5 or 6, maybe).

Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
7th grade ? ? ?, boy I thought I was late.
Right. Late like Michael Jordan, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony, none of whom played organized basketball before middle school.

On a positive note, I was kicking the ball around with a friend a couple of weeks ago when some kids approached us and asked, "What are y'all doing?" These kids were around 12 or 13. My friend, a former collegiate player, asked if the kids wanted to try. Man, these kids caught on fast. Even with my friend's ball handling skills, these young kids were quick, athletic, and had excellent anticipation, so they gave him a bit more grief than he bargained for.

I've always been of the opinion that most athletes will do reasonably well in just about any sport. In high school, our best basketball player wasn't just good at basketball, but was also a football star, a track and field star and a baseball star. There's no reason to believe that our best athletes wouldn't be able to excel on the pitch. Who knows what type of soccer player Chris Paul or Allen Iverson would have been? But guys with that type of coordination, balance, anticipation, speed and lateral movement could do very well in soccer. We have tons of guys like that in the USA. We just need to get them on the pitch.

5'6 Aquille Carr Is STILL The Most Exciting Player In High School! - YouTube

I would love to see a kid like this give soccer a try around 9 or 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or