U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM

6,270 posts, read 6,394,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Right. Late like Michael Jordan, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony, none of whom played organized basketball before middle school.

I understand Jordan because he is from a different era, but the rest of them, I doubt that started after middle school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I understand Jordan because he is from a different era, but the rest of them, I doubt that started after middle school
I didn't say after middle school. I said before middle school. These players don't go straight to organized league and tournament play at age 7. Middle school is often the first exposure most American basketball players have to a structured, organized format of play. Before then it's pickup games during recess and street games during summer vacation.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 PM

782 posts, read 937,313 times
Quote:
I didn't say after middle school. I said before middle school. These players don't go straight to organized league and tournament play at age 7. Middle school is often the first exposure most American basketball players have to a structured, organized format of play. Before then it's pickup games during recess and street games during summer vacation.

No, you are living in a dream world of ignorance there. AAU basketball starts at 2nd grade level, and by any serious talent in this country is playing by then. By 7th-8th grade you can allready find national lists of top talent.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM

782 posts, read 937,313 times
Middle School Elite Top 20 National Player Rankings 7th Grade (Class of 2016) | Middle School Elite

Here's an article on the top 20 5th grade players around:

MSE 2012 Rankings | Middle School Elite

back to 7th graders:

James Lewis - Top Rated Basketball Player (7th Grade) - Born to Compete - Born to Compete

Just looking at the top 100 Ohio 7th graders:

.: Ohio’s Top 100 Rising 7th Graders (2018)

I can keep posting hundreds of articles. In both basketball and soccer, this is highly structured and players are being developed in semi-professional to professional environments.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:07 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,296 times
Quote:
I guess I would call that "street ball." It sounds similar to having open gym back in middle and high school where you could do whatever you wanted. Most boys would play basketball and most girls would jump rope or do whatever it is that girls do (really don't remember).

The big difference, of course, is that the pool of talent for basketball is the general school age population. Pretty much everyone starts out playing the game on some level--usually during recess in elementary school and then after school hoops with friends--and then the weaker players simply don't make the cut for middle and high school teams. In soccer, you're starting out with a much smaller pool and your ability to compete can be compromised by a lack of financial resources. So in essence, you're getting the best players that can afford to play rather than the best players.

How old are your boys, btw? They sound really young (around 5 or 6, maybe).
I agree with your breakdown, although hoops is tough for the boys roght now as they are just so young. I put them in winter basketball and they had fun and like shooting on the neighbors hoop, but it is still early. Yeah, my boys are 6...I never would have imagined I would be paying more than Park and Rec for boys soccer at age 6. They love the sport, so we decided it was worth paying for. I, personally am not expecting this will turn them into pro soccer players, and if they ever say they don't love it I am pulling them out...but, they are learning a lot at a young age. I keep telling them they need to do tricks when we play in the back yard, it's pretty funny.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,198,301 times
To answer the original question - soccer is not popular in the U.S.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,294,845 times
seattle, south florida,and LA.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,403,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
To answer the original question - soccer is not popular in the U.S.
I was wondering when a troll would crawl out from underneath the bridge.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM

21,367 posts, read 21,941,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I was wondering when a troll would crawl out from underneath the bridge.
yeah...that only took a year and-a-half

Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,403,415 times
Some trolls are slow readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or