U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:13 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,673,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
If you think that Messi and Zidane are the two greatest ever you are both ignorant and probably under 30 years old. No one has them that high. Messi with some more years and some success internationally could go that high ... but Zizou? Top 10 quite possibly but virtually no one lists him top 5. Again the basically unanimous top three is Maradona, Pele and Cruyff and two of Beckenbauer, Eusebio and DiStefano generally round out any top 5.
There's plenty of football fans who put Zinédine Zidane in their top-5. My number one still is (and always will be) Diego Maradona, but Zidane is not far behind and most certainly ahead of Eusebio and Beckenbauer when it comes to talent (and I'm over 30, by the way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:25 AM

782 posts, read 935,797 times
The 100 Best Footballers of All Time | Bleacher Report

Beckenbauer top 5, Zizou 12th.

Greatest Soccer Players Of All Time

Beckenbauer in top 5, Zizou not top 10

The 100 greatest players of all time - Page 12 of 16 - Football Pantheon

Zizou 9th, Beckenbauer 5th

I can keep posting all day long lists like these. Very, very few lists have Zizou top 5. More have him as not top 10 than have him in the top 5 ...

Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,085,866 times
Well it's a good thing it is my opinion then is it!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 AM

Sure, feel free to sound ignorant all you want ... Beckenbauer was a clearly superior and more important player historically than Zizou.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,085,866 times
Lol you think I care if you, an faceless poster, calls me ignorant? I have been playing and going to football all my life I think I can make my mind up. Zidane was utter class and my favourite player. You won't change my mind.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Top 20 Football Players of All-Time!

1.Lionel Messi
2.Diego Maradona
3.Pele
4.Johan Cruyff

5-6 (not in order):
Alfredo Di Stefano
Ronaldo

7-10 (not in order):
George Best
Zinedine Zidane
Franz Beckenbauer
Ferenc Puskas

11-15 (not in order):
Garrincha
Zico
Romario
Ronaldinho
Marco van Basten

16-20 (not in order):
Ruud Gullit
Eusebio
Cristiano Ronaldo
Michel Platini
Gerd Muller

Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Top 20 Football Players of All-Time!

1.Lionel Messi
2.Diego Maradona
3.Pele
4.Johan Cruyff

5-6 (not in order):
Alfredo Di Stefano
Ronaldo

7-10 (not in order):
George Best
Zinedine Zidane
Franz Beckenbauer
Ferenc Puskas

11-15 (not in order):
Garrincha
Zico
Romario
Ronaldinho
Marco van Basten

16-20 (not in order):
Ruud Gullit
Eusebio
Cristiano Ronaldo
Michel Platini
Gerd Muller
Not a bad list. I think you have Platini and Beckenbauer a touch low, and Ronalidinho should be nowhere near top 50 in my book. He was one of the best for too short of a time, you need to show it over a longer period to be an all time great in my book. Messi I think one day will be in with a shout for #1 but I think we are a bit premature to put him that high. Overall a quality list though.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,110 times
Quote:
If you think that Messi and Zidane are the two greatest ever you are both ignorant and probably under 30 years old. No one has them that high. Messi with some more years and some success internationally could go that high ... but Zizou? Top 10 quite possibly but virtually no one lists him top 5. Again the basically unanimous top three is Maradona, Pele and Cruyff and two of Beckenbauer, Eusebio and DiStefano generally round out any top 5.
Once again, how can I be wrong when its my opinion? Messi is the greatest player I have ever seen. How can you tell me I am wrong?

Its not arrogant at all. Its an opinion. There is no real answer to the question. Players play in different eras, different leagues etc....

Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Once again, how can I be wrong when its my opinion? Messi is the greatest player I have ever seen. How can you tell me I am wrong?

Its not arrogant at all. Its an opinion. There is no real answer to the question. Players play in different eras, different leagues etc....
Ok, by your reasoning "I think Michael Vick is the greatest player ever in the NFL" is also a valid argument that a person can not argue about ... sorry, but stupid is as stupid does.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,110 times
Quote:
Ok, by your reasoning "I think Michael Vick is the greatest player ever in the NFL" is also a valid argument that a person can not argue about ... sorry, but stupid is as stupid does.
I dunno who that is but I am presuming he is bad. If so, then no its not the same. Messi isn't bad. Messi is arguably the greatest player to ever play the game(I think he is). I am not the only one. Because he is arguably the greatest player and a lot of people think so, that means there must be some truth in it and he must have some quality. Saying a bad player is the best you ever seen for arguments sake is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer