U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM

22,240 posts, read 23,744,453 times

Advertisements

A truly terrible performance by England tonight. They started off okay, but only for about 30 minutes.

Still, well play to them for beating expectations and getting as far as they did and topping the group. I found the France v Spain game to be even more painfully dull. My eyes will be in the world cup in 2014 now, and I hope Hodgson can get a better team together, major changes are in the making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,891,087 times
The loss of Lampard for this tournament was felt big time in the match tonight.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM

1,610 posts, read 3,158,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Walcott should have started, Defoe should have been up front instead of Welbeck as he has a proven international goalscoring record. I would also have brought Ox on and taken Young off and basically gone for it, given England's poor record in penalty shootouts.

Dreadful performance. Funny thing is, England players CAN pass & move as they do so for their clubs without effort. I just think it was a combination of tiredness, lack of cohesion in midfield and a new manager that hasn't had time to make his mark on the team yet.
Why do England always play like their team members are meeting each other for the first time at each major tournament? I mean, teams like Sweden or Ukraine with much less fancied leagues and unknown players play much better as a team than England do. I have been watching them since 1998 and it's the same story every time. No cohesion, nothing.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,429,014 times
It was close both sides had their chances and nobody scored. england did look a bit more tired though

Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,310,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Dreadful performance. Funny thing is, England players CAN pass & move as they do so for their clubs without effort. I just think it was a combination of tiredness, lack of cohesion in midfield and a new manager that hasn't had time to make his mark on the team yet.
Its not funny at all. The answer is that when they play for their clubs they are playing with players that are class and that are from other countries. The likes of Modric and players like that.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,677,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Why do England always play like their team members are meeting each other for the first time at each major tournament? I mean, teams like Sweden or Ukraine with much less fancied leagues and unknown players play much better as a team than England do. I have been watching them since 1998 and it's the same story every time. No cohesion, nothing.
That's true. No matter the fact that, at their respective club teams, the English players often play aside superior foreign players: intrinsically, the English players are still decent enough. I mean: Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard, John Terry would have their place in every national team. If only they would have the team spirit enjoyed by some "lesser" teams like Greece or South-Korea or the USA.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 AM

7,149 posts, read 7,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The loss of Lampard for this tournament was felt big time in the match tonight.
not really , lampard is ok when given the ball , he is no use when it comes to retrieving it and italy had all the ball last night , england dont gel together as a team , have not in decades , hoof and hope is all they have

still dont see italy beating germany , they have no striker

Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 AM

7,149 posts, read 7,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
That's true. No matter the fact that, at their respective club teams, the English players often play aside superior foreign players: intrinsically, the English players are still decent enough. I mean: Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard, John Terry would have their place in every national team. If only they would have the team spirit enjoyed by some "lesser" teams like Greece or South-Korea or the USA.
terry would and rooney when on form , gerrard is not at the races when it comes to non premier league ( long ball ) football

Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,549,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
These are my theories on why England play so awfully:

1) Burnout from a long EPL season, the EPL being the most physically demanding league in Europe (though not technically the best)

2) Cappello was the wrong choice for coach. I miss the days of Terry Venables & Glen Hoddle, who got the team playing the passing game, I remember us even out-passing the Netherlands team in Euro 96, where we won 4-1.

3) A lack of young talent coming through, reliance on Gerrard who is past his best and too much focus on Rooney.

4) We need to get more English players playing outside of the EPL. Joe Cole had a fantastic season for Lille. You cannot gain international footballing experience by just staying in the EPL. Rooney could have been a much more rounded player if he'd switched to La Liga or Serie A.

I hope Hodgson gets England passing again. Long ball doesn't work these days. Keeping possession is the key. While England may not have any world class players, we have enough decent and semi-decent players to a least cause a few more problems to the opposition.

I'm glad we're out....saves being humiliated by Germany again!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:23 AM

218 posts, read 211,110 times
That is a lot of excuses as to why England loss. They just got out play by the more aggressive team, simple as that.

As I expected, it should be Spain vs Germany in the final and Spain take it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer