U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,549,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrock View Post
That is a lot of excuses as to why England loss. They just got out play by the more aggressive team, simple as that.

As I expected, it should be Spain vs Germany in the final and Spain take it again.
Nothing is that black & white...

Trust me, I am not defending England or saying that they didn't deserve get played off the field, but if anyone cares about improvement and trying to fix it, you have to look at the reasons I stated in my previous post, or England will never get better.

The fact is that many of those players CAN play football and can pass well and hold the ball up...they have been doing it for their clubs all season. Ashley Young is a classic example...he was great for Man United this season, but looked like he wouldn't be good enough to make the Gillingham reserve team during the Euros.

Another problem with England: any team that wants to be in line to challenge the best and challenge for silverware needs to have at least 3 world class players. As of now, England just has Rooney and he is hit and miss for England, despite being prolific for Man United.

Hodgson has a lot to think about as he prepares for the WC qualifying. If only England could go back to the passing game that good old Terry Venables started implementing, to great effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:37 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,111,551 times
It bewilders me how England appointed Hodgson, they will get worse with him in charge. He is a defencive manager that does well at ''little'' teams where he can exceed expectations but if you want England to challenge for trophies then he shouldn't even have been in contention for the job, Redknapp anyone?.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 AM

3,677 posts, read 3,533,781 times
I dont see England winning any title with Rooney upfront.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,111,551 times
What England's only world class player is holding them back is that what you are saying?! lol. Rooney would stroll into any team on this planet.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM

3,677 posts, read 3,533,781 times
What did Rooney achieve in Euro 2012? What did Rooney do in world cup 2010? What did Rooney achieve in World cup 2006???? A tired jaded forward who didnt score a single goal in all these three competitions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
What England's only world class player is holding them back is that what you are saying?! lol. Rooney would stroll into any team on this planet.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,660,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
What did Rooney achieve in Euro 2012? What did Rooney do in world cup 2010? What did Rooney achieve in World cup 2006???? A tired jaded forward who didnt score a single goal in all these three competitions.

Rooney scored in Euro 2012.

Of course he's tired though, that's one of England's main issues, all the players are tired. Especially considering most of the players on the team come from Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea...each of which was playing hard right up until the end of the season looking to secure the title or the Champions League. They then are flown to another country and expected to play like Gods. I, for one, am glad they progressed out of the group, and won it at that. England just isn't strong enough, or deep enough, to compete with the likes of Germany, Spain, Netherlands, etc.

The main reason being that on the entire team, I could see 2 or maybe 3 players making it on a team outside of England (and I'm talking big teams like Real, Barcelona, Bayern, and AC Milan). Rooney, Hart, and perhaps someone like Young, Gerrard, or Cole (in their primes) could have made first team on an out-of England team. The rest would be squad players or be forced to play for much smaller teams in other leagues.

In contrast, the entire Spain team could basically walk into any team in the world and be guaranteed a starting spot. Same for Germany or Netherlands. Even teams like France, Italy, Portugal have a good number of players that could play anywhere they want to because they are huge talents. England just don't have that star caliber of player. They have some good players, that if they gel together can put together a string of nice games, but their not world class.

Who knows, maybe the next crop of youngsters will be better? But judging from what I've seen, it doesn't look too promising. I can't see England being led out with Carroll and Welbeck up front.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,891,087 times
A lot of these teams play far too many games a season. If I were a manager of a club team, I would have my players focus on the domestic campaign and Europe if they qualified. Forget the FA Cup and the Carling Cup. I would put the reserves or marginal players in for that waste of time.

Every other year, the top players from top European countries will get at most 5 weeks off a season. Between the end of the domestic season in mid-May, the training with the national team and the actual tournament (be it the Euro of WC) and then they have to start up again in mid-July with the club team for the start of the season in August.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,429,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
tired jaded forward? what's wrong with you? he's the best player england has and a starter in any team on this planet. But he can't do everything by himself. It'd sure be nice to have some great passes or crosses from the likes of a Villa, Xavi, or Schweinstiger coming in.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,409,943 times
He falls at the biggest stage for his country. At club level he is badass though.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,660,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He falls at the biggest stage for his country. At club level he is badass though.
All it would take is one tournament for him to change that assumption. Look at Ronaldo. He's always underperformed on the national stage, but one run to a semi in a Euro championship and Maradona says they should build a statue of him in Lisbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer