Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
NETHERLANDs- Ajax (but mostly for the past when they could keep elite players)
No team on your list other than Real Madrid can keep elite players. Why hold this against Ajax only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
And back to NE, Hibernian and Hearts have religious bigotry also.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
No team on your list other than Real Madrid can keep elite players. Why hold this against Ajax only?
Tottenham is loaded with elite players, Roma has several, Marseille can keep good players longer (and go deep into the Champions League), Hamburg and Gala can get older, formerly elite players... Ajax loses their best by time they are 24. Come on, you know Ajax has seen much better days.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
And back to NE, Hibernian and Hearts have religious bigotry also.
To the same world famous extent? Mostly, I would hope for success from more than 2 teams in any league. I don't follow La Liga anymore either.

I know you love Dundee, but if I were you I would detest Celtic and Rangers, and root for any/every team except them.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Yes I would the same percentage of their fans are of the same mind they just have less fans. I do root against the old firm but I won't despise them for being successful lol and I would like to see Celtic, or any team from Scotland for that matter, do well in Europe as they are representing my country that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather Dundee was there though! Domestically in the SPL it's a different matter. The way I look at it I have more in common with fans of Scottish teams than I do with fans of European teams so I will root for any team from Scotland in Europe, again domestically I can differentiate and go back to loathing them lol.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yes I would the same percentage of their fans are of the same mind they just have less fans. I do root against the old firm but I won't despise them for being successful lol and I would like to see Celtic, or any team from Scotland for that matter, do well in Europe as they are representing my country that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather Dundee was there though! Domestically in the SPL it's a different matter. The way I look at it I have more in common with fans of Scottish teams than I do with fans of European teams so I will root for any team from Scotland in Europe, again domestically I can differentiate and go back to loathing them lol.
That makes sense, the old firm ends up representing Scotland on the bigger stage.

So are Hibs fans Catholic and Hearts Protestant, or vice versa? It's hard to apply that criteria to any teams in the US... or other countries for that matter.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Hibs would be considered Catholic.

You can see the Irish harp in there. I think you had to be a member of a Catholic Society of somesort to play for them in the early years.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
England - Manchester United (MY TEAM)
France - Toulouse (My Second Fav Team)
Spain - Malaga (Liked them before they became new money)
Germany - Wolfsburg (Don't follow too much)
Italy - Roma (Not a fan of the big 3)
Scotland - Aberdeen (Sir Alex)

Those are the only leagues I really follow with any interest. Could care less about MLS.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Tottenham is loaded with elite players
Elite players i would say are the best of the best... players like Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie, Robben, Rooney, Xavi etc. big time players for their club aswell as for the national football team they play in.

Tottenham has ZERO.
I would call Bale, Van der Vaart, Modric semi-elite players and
Adebayor, Lennon, Parker, Walker just good.
nothing more, nothing less.
All the other Tottenham players are average for European standards.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Ajax loses their best by time they are 24. Come on, you know Ajax has seen much better days.
Not only Ajax but every Eredivisie team.
Why? Because our teams don't get millions of euro's of tv rights like the EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A do so when players like Sneijder/Robben go play in a top league they make about 5 times more than in the Eredivisie.

Lets not forget Dutch teams can not have much debt because the KNVB won't allow it and will kick you out of the league, unlike Real Madrid who can have over 500 million of debt without any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer