U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,847 posts, read 3,966,962 times
Reputation: 6494

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Elite players i would say are the best of the best... players like Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie, Robben, Rooney, Xavi etc. big time players for their club aswell as for the national football team they play in.

Tottenham has ZERO.
I would call Bale, Van der Vaart, Modric semi-elite players and
Adebayor, Lennon, Parker, Walker just good.
nothing more, nothing less.
All the other Tottenham players are average for European standards.
So you are calling only the first 11 all World players elite, that is your definition. I and many others use the term wider. For instance, I'm hearing several English pundits lauding Benoit Assou-Ekotto as the best LB in the Premier League. This is I agree with, and since the Premier League is the best in the world, I think it makes him elite.

And most would think you are vastly underrating the Totts list above: Bale is easily the best Welsh player and for the last 3 years or so has been in discussion for best EPL player. Modric though slow and off-form, is seen as the best Croatian player. Lennon was 1st 11 England for awhile and can still terrorize from the wing. Adebayor has been regarded as a top 5 African player. Etal.

Bottom line, Tottenham has 8-15 players who would be the best player on 90% of the club teams in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,847 posts, read 3,966,962 times
Reputation: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Not only Ajax but every Eredivisie team.
Why? Because our teams don't get millions of euro's of tv rights like the EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A do so when players like Sneijder/Robben go play in a top league they make about 5 times more than in the Eredivisie.

Lets not forget Dutch teams can not have much debt because the KNVB won't allow it and will kick you out of the league, unlike Real Madrid who can have over 500 million of debt without any problems.
I understand, the drawbacks of being a small country. You lose alot of talent in many fields for better opportunities elsewhere.

Pardon I'm a Yank used to parody in sports... so I guess I'll always struggle with the capitalist giants like Barca, Chelsea and the rest.

And I think the city of Amsterdam deserves to have a truly great soccer club like New York deserves the Yankees... not a feeder club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM
 
3,719 posts, read 3,876,167 times
Reputation: 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Not only Ajax but every Eredivisie team.
Why? Because our teams don't get millions of euro's of tv rights like the EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A do so when players like Sneijder/Robben go play in a top league they make about 5 times more than in the Eredivisie.

Lets not forget Dutch teams can not have much debt because the KNVB won't allow it and will kick you out of the league, unlike Real Madrid who can have over 500 million of debt without any problems.

The Eredivisie is a quality league, that has produced quality players. As a whole, the Netherlands is a great football country that has produced some of the top players in the world. You have to remember, the Netherlands is a small country population wise when compared to France, Germany, Italy, Spain and England. Those countries have far larger cities that can create larger fan bases and generate more money for their clubs that those in smaller countries like the Netherlands, Belgium and Portugal.

KNVB is smart in limiting the amount of debt a team can carry. That avoids situations like what is going on with Rangers up in Scotland and other clubs that have had serious financial issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,421 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
KNVB is smart in limiting the amount of debt a team can carry. That avoids situations like what is going on with Rangers up in Scotland and other clubs that have had serious financial issues.
It's smart but frustrating at the same time.
We want to compete in Europe but how can you when there are teams that can have hundreds of millions of debt without any consequences and you can't.

Eredivisie teams are relatively the most successful teams in Europe.

PSV and Ajax the 2 biggest clubs in the Netherlands have the same budget as Bolton and Blackburn.

If they had a budget like Everton, PSV and Ajax would probably reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League each year.

PSV under Guus Hiddink still managed to reach it to the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2005 (lost to AC Milan 3-3 on away goals),
Just imagine Bolton making the Semi-Finals of the CL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Belgium
1,173 posts, read 1,673,056 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Not only Ajax but every Eredivisie team.
Why? Because our teams don't get millions of euro's of tv rights like the EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A do so when players like Sneijder/Robben go play in a top league they make about 5 times more than in the Eredivisie.
Very true. Maybe we ought to create a Bene-liga after all. Marketing-wise (thus money-wise) it'd be a good move (the Belgium league's tv rights are for example higher than Eredivisie's tv rights: 55,5 million euro to 40 million). Admittely, when it comes to infrastructure, the Belgium teams would have to do some serious catching up. But when we expand our market, we might be able to keep better players for a longer time and thus get better results in Europe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,421 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Very true. Maybe we ought to create a Bene-liga after all. Marketing-wise (thus money-wise) it'd be a good move (the Belgium league's tv rights are for example higher than Eredivisie's tv rights: 55,5 million euro to 40 million). Admittely, when it comes to infrastructure, the Belgium teams would have to do some serious catching up. But when we expand our market, we might be able to keep better players for a longer time and thus get better results in Europe...
Yeah but which teams did you have in mind?

from the Belgian Pro League:
Anderlecht
Club Brugge
Standard Luik
KRC Genk
KAA. Gent
Cercle Brugge

and 3 of the next 4 teams:
KV Mechelen
Zulte Waregem
Lokeren
Beerschot



from the Dutch Eredivisie:
PSV
Ajax
Feyenoord
FC Twente
AZ
SC Heerenveen
FC Groningen
Vitesse
NEC
Roda JC
FC Utrecht
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Belgium
1,173 posts, read 1,673,056 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Yeah but which teams did you have in mind?
I'd go with 8 belgian teams to 12 dutch. And I'd select the teams more in the light of their fanbase and economic potential than of their results in the last years (albeit I'm aware that this would lead to very bitter discussions)

Anyway, concerning the Belgian teams, I'd take:
RSC Anderlecht - Club Brugge - Standard Luik - RC Genk - AA Gent - KV Mechelen - Beerschot AC - SC Charleroi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,537,494 times
Reputation: 3043
English Premier League: Man City
French Ligue 1: Lille
German Bundesliga: Bayern Munich
Dutch Eredivisie: Feyenoord
Swedish Allsvenskan: Malmö FF
MLS: LA Galaxy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,421 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I'd go with 8 belgian teams to 12 dutch. And I'd select the teams more in the light of their fanbase and economic potential than of their results in the last years (albeit I'm aware that this would lead to very bitter discussions)

Anyway, concerning the Belgian teams, I'd take:
RSC Anderlecht - Club Brugge - Standard Luik - RC Genk - AA Gent - KV Mechelen - Beerschot AC - SC Charleroi
I like it but i want the league to have at least 2 direct champions league + 1 qualifying CL and 4 qualifying europa league spots.

I would consider it the 4th best league in the world after the Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga, above the Serie A and Ligue 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,085,866 times
Reputation: 4092
Bale and Modric are most certainly elite players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top