Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,779,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Dempsey will sell shirts. American LFC fans will buy them.
fine John, you'll bask in riches what with the hoards of american LFC fans lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,355,887 times
Hey man I know 2! They don't buy jersies though ...

Sent from my Alcatel OT-981A using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,541,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
fine John, you'll bask in riches what with the hoards of american LFC fans lmao
I hope so

Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,072,364 times
Out of all my friends here in America that are football fans, only 1 is a Liverpool fan, and he doesn't buy jerseys. I couldn't see any of the my other friends that support other teams buying a Dempsey jersey just because of him being American. No one went out and bought a Fulham jersey of his.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:43 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,779,485 times
I always buy a jersey, got myself an Alan Smith Leeds jersey, Chicharito United jersey, no-name Galaxy jersey, etc. Not sure ill get the present United jersey one, maybe next year but the new kit is kind of growing on me (thinking welbeck or cleverley)

Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,922,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
you guys love to call us "yanks"

dempsey wont sell many shirts though to be honest
Deuce will move shirts like mad. He's popular and Liverpool (for reasons unknown to me) are one of the most popular clubs here.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Out of all my friends here in America that are football fans, only 1 is a Liverpool fan, and he doesn't buy jerseys. I couldn't see any of the my other friends that support other teams buying a Dempsey jersey just because of him being American. No one went out and bought a Fulham jersey of his.
Just because your experience is different doesn't mean that the 300 million other people will be the same. Americans do buy LFC jerseys. Dempsey would sell some shirts over there. That is one of the main reasons he is being bought.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Just because your experience is different doesn't mean that the 300 million other people will be the same. Americans do buy LFC jerseys. Dempsey would sell some shirts over there. That is one of the main reasons he is being bought.
I agree that some Americans do buy Liverpool jerseys. Just like I buy Man Utd jerseys.

The main problem though, is that football just isn't that popular over here, and Dempsey isn't a household name (unless it's a World Cup year). People are much more likely to go out and buy a Tim Tebow jersey or a Lebron James jersey or something like that, then going out to buy a Dempsey jersey.

It's not going to create the same jersey sales that signing a Park for QPR or a Keigawa for Man Utd.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM

I know it wont be like a Lebron James jersey but it should get some sales. Oh and what are you talking about Park and QPR for? He wont sell a lot of QPR shirts in Asia.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I know it wont be like a Lebron James jersey but it should get some sales. Oh and what are you talking about Park and QPR for? He wont sell a lot of QPR shirts in Asia.
It'll get a few sales, but Americans are not going to just go buy a jersey because it's an American. We have our teams that we support and will buy jersey's of those teams.

That would be like an NBA fan saying that their team should sign Luol Deng because then all the England fans will go out and buy his jersey. American's don't just blindly follow American athletes, we're much more driven by teams.

As for Park and QPR, I see his jersey's selling at a much higher clip than Dempsey Liverpool jerseys would sell, just based on Asian's following of soccer and him being basically a national hero. Dempsey is not considered a national hero in America. He's not even the most popular American that plays football, that would be Landon Donovan, followed by Tim Howard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer