U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,310,436 times

Advertisements

I do rate him. He is a very good player but he has had bad injuries over the past few years. Like in the 08/09 season he only made 19 apperances is all competitions. I can see him getting injuried again so I am not really as worried about him joining Man Utd as I would be if it was someone like Hazard or Lucas Moura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,111,551 times
He has 171 goals in 298 starts in his career. And is getting more prolific each season.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 AM

But he is also 29 and has a horrible record of injuries. He only had one season like last season and that was last season. If he does it again this season, then so be it but until he does, I wont be convinced. He is a good player but my point is that I would be more worried if Man Utd signed someone like Hazard or Lucas. RVP needs to have a good season next season because he will be hitting 30 after that. I dont know about the RVP, Rooney partnership either. That will be interesting to see.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,660,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
But he is also 29 and has a horrible record of injuries. He only had one season like last season and that was last season. If he does it again this season, then so be it but until he does, I wont be convinced. He is a good player but my point is that I would be more worried if Man Utd signed someone like Hazard or Lucas. RVP needs to have a good season next season because he will be hitting 30 after that. I dont know about the RVP, Rooney partnership either. That will be interesting to see.
While I like RVP and I like the signing, I gotta agree with the above. He's definitely had some injury problems in the past (I still remember the placenta treatment he got a few seasons ago for a leg injury...yuck!) and he's getting older. Paying that amount for him, and not to mention the salary he'll be getting for the next 4 seasons is a bit of overkill. If he can reproduce last season's form, AMAZING, but hopefully he won't force us to sell Chicharito or Welbeck due to lack of first team opportunities. I don't want to lose them.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
While I like RVP and I like the signing, I gotta agree with the above. He's definitely had some injury problems in the past (I still remember the placenta treatment he got a few seasons ago for a leg injury...yuck!) and he's getting older. Paying that amount for him, and not to mention the salary he'll be getting for the next 4 seasons is a bit of overkill. If he can reproduce last season's form, AMAZING, but hopefully he won't force us to sell Chicharito or Welbeck due to lack of first team opportunities. I don't want to lose them.
Yeah I agree with your point. 50 million for the next 4 years is a lot of money. It is a risk if you ask me but it could pay off. You never know with Man Utd. They sign players and make them great but they also sign big players and they flop. I dont think he can get any better then last season. It will be an interesting transfer for sure.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah I agree with your point. 50 million for the next 4 years is a lot of money. It is a risk if you ask me but it could pay off. You never know with Man Utd. They sign players and make them great but they also sign big players and they flop. I dont think he can get any better then last season. It will be an interesting transfer for sure.
Definitely will be interesting...and I do agree that he won't reproduce his season from last year, especially since he'll have to be splitting the goals with Rooney. Hopefully the 2 of them will mesh well together and form a partnership that has been lacking since Ronaldo left.

I still wish we would have brought in a midfielder, but it looks like we'll still be relying on Scholes, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Cleverly, and possibly Fletcher. Who knows, maybe Phil Jones will be able to play further forward and serve as a holding midfielder when he returns from injury?

I just can't believe the money splashed out at RVP. He's worth it, but still, he's ageing and that's a huge commitment on the team's part. Also feel bad for Berbatov, especially if no one picks him up by the end of the window...he'll never play. Neither will Macheda or Bebe, they should both go out on loan for sure. Welbeck and Hernandez (who could be starters for most other Premier League teams) are now left battling for 3rd in the pecking order.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 AM

I dont think Man Utd need RVP. I think that Ferguson signed him just to show that Man Utd can compete with Man City and Chelsea(even though they cant). It looks more like a signing for the fans rather then for the team. Man Utd need a midfielder and Lucas would of been that ideal signing. He can play anywhere in the midfield. How many strikers do you have now? 5 or 6....

Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I dont think Man Utd need RVP. I think that Ferguson signed him just to show that Man Utd can compete with Man City and Chelsea(even though they cant). It looks more like a signing for the fans rather then for the team. Man Utd need a midfielder and Lucas would of been that ideal signing. He can play anywhere in the midfield. How many strikers do you have now? 5 or 6....
I've got to agree with you once again. It was a token signing to appease the fans. Will he contribute to the team? Of course he will, he is a very good player. He's just not someone we NEEDED.

Strikers:
Rooney
RVP
Chicharito
Welbeck
Berbatov
Macheda
Bebe
Not to Mention Josh King and Will Keane in the reserves

Plus we have 3 high-quality wingers to fill 2 positions (which those strikers could also fill in)
Young, Nani, and Valencia

We're way too top heavy without the cover in the middle of the field and a ton of injuries already on the defensive side. They're saying that Valencia and/or Carrick could be starting the season as cover for the defensive 4 until Smalling, Jones, and Vidic all return to 100% health. Not an ideal situation. Unless we're planning on scoring 5+ goals a game!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 AM

921 posts, read 911,287 times
Expect to see 4:3, 5:4 results whenever Man Utd will play.
Tons of strikers, no defence.....smells like 4:4 draw at Goodison on Monday.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,429,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Expect to see 4:3, 5:4 results whenever Man Utd will play.
Tons of strikers, no defence.....smells like 4:4 draw at Goodison on Monday.
gonna be a very interesting year...fergie please dump Berbatov and Bebe...i know he's been trying to unload berb but get'er done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer