Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,778 times

Advertisements

Better get those drugs infinite. You'll need them ...just joking. Relax man, it will be fun season to watch.
I told you few days back it looks like Fellaini will be the only one joining Utd, but had no idea that would cost them 27 freaking mil pounds.
He was available for like 5 mil less few weeks ago, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Better get those drugs infinite. You'll need them ...just joking. Relax man, it will be fun season to watch.
I told you few days back it looks like Fellaini will be the only one joining Utd, but had no idea that would cost them 27 freaking mil pounds.
He was available for like 5 mil less few weeks ago, right?
Just disappointed is all. We needed a creative mid that can spray the ball around with some accuracy like Scholes or Becks but we got a swashbuckling giant. At best he's simply cover for Carrick but i reckon Moyes will start him over kagawa with carrick...ugh

Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Well, at least he can score more goals than Carrick.
Speaking of Kagawa, why is he not playing?
Why is Zaha not playing?

Utd still need creative mid, they also needed strong physical presence in the midfield and they hopefully found it in Fellaini as Cleverlys and Andersons are definitely not a Utd type of players (I don't think Fellaini is that type, but I hope I am wrong )
But let's be honest, I don't think SAF whould've spent 27 mil pounds on him, no way.
This was a panic buy, but let's hope both Moyes and Ed Woodward (whoever he is) learned the lesson.

This is the first season I am not expecting any trophy since I follow them, but again as I said, it should be fun to watch. They don't need to win something every year.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:06 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Just disappointed is all. We needed a creative mid that can spray the ball around with some accuracy like Scholes or Becks but we got a swashbuckling giant. At best he's simply cover for Carrick but i reckon Moyes will start him over kagawa with carrick...ugh
I'm also surprised as to why ManUnited payed so much for a (technically rather limited) player such as Fellaini. On the other hand, he is a beast that will fight from start to finish.

Arsenal have signed one of my favorite players. Some might say that what Arsenal currently need is anything but an attacking midfielder. Still, in the long run, to have a world-class player like Özil in the team will hopefully attract other world-class players. Arsène seems to have found his wallet.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Arsenal added another chocolate to a team full of chocolates. I am a big fan of Ozil, but that team needs some balance. Ironically the strongest player is their French center-forward. I think Arsene bought him to save his skin.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,846 times
You guys have no idea about Arsenal if you think that Özil wasn't sorely needed by Arsenal. Going into the window most Gooners felt we had three huge needs, we all rate which was most important differently. For me they were roughly equal: 1. another striker 2. a creative attacker 3. a strong dm.

#3 was addressed with Flamini. I was not crazy when we brought him back, I have been stumping all summer for Kondogbia or Gonalons. But that said, Flamini knows the system, the manager trusts him and he played incredible against Spurs and so I will give him a short leash. We do still need to address this area but Arteta + Flamini will be enough at least until the winter window opens, if not until the summer.

#1 unfortunately went unadressed. We tried on Ba, but Mou nixed the deal once he realized Özil was coming. We made a late run at Di Natale but the window was closed. With Poldi out until December, this is the one area of concern as there is no depth. But our starter Giroud is playing out of his mind right now, and has an amazing midfield to feed him the ball now.

That leaves the creative player. You guys say we didn't need this, but we SOOOOO did. Santi was our only truly creative player who can open up defenses for other guys. Rosicky somewhat too, but he is older and very fragile. Jack and Ramsey are box-to-box mids, neither one is a creative attacker. Jack is great on the ball, will burst forwards to start attacks, but he does not have the vision or the skill to really open up defenses with the ball, to pick out the killer passes ... he lacks that flair.

We have been screaming for a creative mid or wing since Cesc left, we have needed it desperately, and in Özil we have now basically THE best advanced playmaker on the planet. It was a brilliant piece of business and filled a big need for us.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
We have been screaming for a creative mid or wing since Cesc left, we have needed it desperately
Wasn't Cazorla bought for that? And Cazorla ain't now slouch, he has what, 50-60 caps for Spain? One of the best fantasistas in the world.

2 central mids, Walcott and Podolski on the wings, Giroud up top, tell me who is dropping to the bench -- Cazorla or Ozil?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
You guys have no idea about Arsenal if you think that Özil wasn't sorely needed by Arsenal. Going into the window most Gooners felt we had three huge needs, we all rate which was most important differently. For me they were roughly equal: 1. another striker 2. a creative attacker 3. a strong dm.

#3 was addressed with Flamini. I was not crazy when we brought him back, I have been stumping all summer for Kondogbia or Gonalons. But that said, Flamini knows the system, the manager trusts him and he played incredible against Spurs and so I will give him a short leash. We do still need to address this area but Arteta + Flamini will be enough at least until the winter window opens, if not until the summer.

#1 unfortunately went unadressed. We tried on Ba, but Mou nixed the deal once he realized Özil was coming. We made a late run at Di Natale but the window was closed. With Poldi out until December, this is the one area of concern as there is no depth. But our starter Giroud is playing out of his mind right now, and has an amazing midfield to feed him the ball now.

That leaves the creative player. You guys say we didn't need this, but we SOOOOO did. Santi was our only truly creative player who can open up defenses for other guys. Rosicky somewhat too, but he is older and very fragile. Jack and Ramsey are box-to-box mids, neither one is a creative attacker. Jack is great on the ball, will burst forwards to start attacks, but he does not have the vision or the skill to really open up defenses with the ball, to pick out the killer passes ... he lacks that flair.

We have been screaming for a creative mid or wing since Cesc left, we have needed it desperately, and in Özil we have now basically THE best advanced playmaker on the planet. It was a brilliant piece of business and filled a big need for us.
#1... you still have Nicklas Bendtner

Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Quote:

I think you might have misunderstood me there: I find Özil playing for Arsenal fantastic. With Wenger's capacity to let already hugely talented players blosom even more, I'm positive we haven't seen the best of Özil and of Arsenal for that matter. One more superb striker and you'll have a killer team. Contrary to what most people think, Arsenal's defense is fine allready, so there's no immediate need there.

I still can't believe Real Madrid were so dumb as to let him go - and for half Bale's price too .

Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I think you might have misunderstood me there: I find Özil playing for Arsenal fantastic. With Wenger's capacity to let already hugely talented players blosom even more, I'm positive we haven't seen the best of Özil and of Arsenal for that matter. One more superb striker and you'll have a killer team. Contrary to what most people think, Arsenal's defense is fine allready, so there's no immediate need there.
It's clear Arsenal does not have a physical player, a tough guy, that opposition would be afraid of, like Terry for Chelsea, Vidic for ManU, Kompany or Yaya for City, Puyol for Barca. Last time Arsenal had one (Vieira) they won.

The don't have a meat-and-potatoes player, all are chocolate. You would say "you don't know anyzing, don't you like chocolatte"? Playing against Stokes, West Hams, Sunderlands etc -- they smack Arsenal boys around, and no one responds. In Vieira was there, you wouldn't dare come close to them.

Sure Ozil is probably top 5 attacking mid in the year, but you already had a top 7 already there (Cazorla). In fact IMO Fellaini would have given Arsenal that tough guy presence that they lack. All chocolate and no meat is no good for your health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I still can't believe Real Madrid were so dumb as to let him go - and for half Bale's price too .
Real operates differently from the other clubs. Real is like the Harlem Globetrotters of football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer