Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycee View Post
Very true, but you could say the same for the flip side of that coin mate.
Let all he gangsters from "tha hood" go to a game over their without the guns and they would get a proper shoe'ing.

I reckon we should just let the idiots go at it and clear themselves out
This is true either. I don't care about these idiots (hooligans and gangsters) and as long as they are not hurting innocent people ... let them clear themselves out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
This is true either. I don't care about these idiots (hooligans and gangsters) and as long as they are not hurting innocent people ... let them clear themselves out.
I always imagined you as a big major American gangstar Pete

Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM

208 posts, read 546,860 times
I think this video is very sensationalist, I'm sure that the last thing poland and ukrania wants is to show this neonazi groups to the world, the police is going to work very hard this summer.

Spoiler
By the way, Spain is not going to win, but we are going to give football classes for free, every national team is invited.

Last edited by Tempranillo; 05-29-2012 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
ESPNsoccernet: Soccer Balotelli: I'll walk if racially abused

I wouldn't blame Balotelli either. The guy has endured so much racial abuse. He is only human and I wouldn't blame him for walking, if he is subjected to racial abuse. I'm glad that he chose to switch to English football. He's a great player and certainly an entertaining character.

Good luck Mario, but please don't take any ****.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,231 times
I hope he does too, I'm sure the Ukraine chief of police will say it was just a misunderstanding on his part though

Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
I can't say much about Ukraine, but as someone who has been to several league matches in Poland, as well as several matches of the Polish national team, I can assure you what bbc did here wasn't journalism. I don't deny there are idiots and racists in Poland, but the scope of the problem is much smaller. Anyone can paint a racist slur on the wall, it doesn't make everybody in the vicinity racist.
Also, as weird as it might sound as we're talking about idiots, they have enough common sense not to show their ugly racist heads on the national team matches, even during league games only selected "old rivalries" provoke as disturbing and sad a reaction as shown in this BBC piece. I would bet money no major incidents will happen!
This saddens me, up till now I considered BBC to be a valid source of information that tries to deliver unbiased information, shows the full context and helps the viewers understand the problem. You can take any problem, blow it out of proportion, show only one side and prove anything you want to prove. This is not journalism.
Yac.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I can't say much about Ukraine, but as someone who has been to several league matches in Poland, as well as several matches of the Polish national team, I can assure you what bbc did here wasn't journalism. I don't deny there are idiots and racists in Poland, but the scope of the problem is much smaller. Anyone can paint a racist slur on the wall, it doesn't make everybody in the vicinity racist.
Also, as weird as it might sound as we're talking about idiots, they have enough common sense not to show their ugly racist heads on the national team matches, even during league games only selected "old rivalries" provoke as disturbing and sad a reaction as shown in this BBC piece. I would bet money no major incidents will happen!
This saddens me, up till now I considered BBC to be a valid source of information that tries to deliver unbiased information, shows the full context and helps the viewers understand the problem. You can take any problem, blow it out of proportion, show only one side and prove anything you want to prove. This is not journalism.
Yac.
It's not just the BBC though...

All from before the BBC Panorama programme..

Euro 2012: Racist Neo-Nazi Ukraine Hooligans Threaten England Fans | World News | Sky News (with video)
STOWARZYSZENIE NIGDY WICEJ - REPORT HIGHLIGHTS LEVELS OF RACISM IN POLISH AND UKRAINIAN FOOTBALL (Polish Anti-Rascism in football organisation)
Ukraine: Racist Fears for Football's Euro 2012 - Video Dailymotion (with video)

A good article on the issue..

Racism and Euro 2012: Football's Ongoing Struggle | Keeping Score | TIME.com

Old 05-30-2012, 03:50 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
First of all, I want to clarify I'm only talking about Poland - I have first hand knowledge about Polish soccer and I've never even been to Ukraine.
What these journalists fail to understand is that there are 2 kinds of soccer fans in most european countries: club fans, that pledge allegiance to their club and embrace all it's, sometimes unfortunately racist and offensive chants and traditions, and the national team fans that couldn't care less about it. During league matches, things like the ones described unfortunately happen, but not all the time and during every match.
These fans rarely mix. Club fans often despise those that follow the national team because they're not "hardcore" enough, they don't fight, burn flags, yell slurs. They're not there to cause trouble, they're there for the sport. This is the type of people that will be there during the matches, not the violent idiots, especially since many are already banned from entering the stadiums for past offenses.
There might be a couple of thousands of skinheads or whatever you want to call them, but in a country of 38 million, you're bound to find all kinds of crazy. Incidents might happen, I'm not denying that - but they will remain incidents, random and not frequent acts.
I guess the bottom line is it makes me sad that a very small minority is painting a picture of the whole country. How would you feel if the USA was shown as a racist country, with the reporters only showing pictures of KKK members ? It would be ridiculous, right ? Just like KKK are often portrayed here on c-d as an irrelevant fringe group, this is how poles see these racist idiot hooligans.
Yac.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
^^^ Agreed. I spent time in Poland and thoroughly enjoyed it, and found the Poles to be very welcoming people (can't say the same for the short time I spent in Ukraine though) and think the racism scare is horribly overblown, at least for Poland. I think any racism problems are likely to be isolated incidents and not part of the mainstream.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
On the subject of football and trouble in Poland...is this photo for real?

polish away stand - Google Search

Looks like a 1980s English away end gone mad. Who are those supporters being protected from?

I disagree with your distinction between national and local fans.
In my English experience the good national fans were always outnumbered by the worst of fans from each club.
Maybe it is different in Poland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer