U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Reputation: 2809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, 2011 average attendance was 9,469. NLL Sees Lowest Attendance Avg. Since '03 Season; Rochester Up Nearly 15% - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

And that actually proves my point. After decades of exposure in this country, after tens millions of American kids have kicked around soccer balls, after hundreds of millions of dollars in sponsorship and all the public relations in the world for America's World Cup team, and after getting air time on ESPN, soccer STILL does not have traction and STILL can't come even close to filling a stadium. Meanwhile, lacrosse has had next to zero exposure and still manages to fetch close to 10,000 a game.

Hey, I'm not even arguing that lacrosse is about to surpass soccer in popularity. But if, after years of relentless marketing and elitist glitterati oohing and aahing over it, soccer can't do that well versus a Johnny-come-lately league in a sport that most people aren't even familiar with, then that speaks volumes for the sport's true popularity. But I do know that in my prosperous suburb, the local youth soccer league simply stopped having teams for kids over age 12 because all the older kids were opting out of soccer signing up for lacrosse instead.

Want further proof? Heck, the average Nielsen rating for MLS in the United States after all these years is 0.3. That is a pathetic number. Just to give you some context, the Nielsen rating for the GoDaddy.com bowl, the bottom feeder of all college football bowls, the most irrelevant bowl of all, managed to rack up a 1.24, four times the viewership. If that isn't evidence that Americans just don't give a rip about soccer, I don't know what does.
This post makes no sense at all. You quote that MLL has an attendance average of around 9k and MLS around 18k (21k for the current season) and you say that MLL has around the same average as MLS?

MLS has DOUBLE the attendance average that MLL does. Do you even understand how significant that is in the sports world? DOUBLE? As someone that use to work in sports, I can tell you that is a huge amount and not even comparable.

Yes, the MLS has struggled with TV ratings but the Neilsen rating system is outdated and does not take into account several factors. A lot of MLS fans watch games via the MLS website which isnt counted in ratings. That is usually how I watch games. I rarely watch them on actual TV unless it is my local team playing away. But, that does not mean that MLS has grown in popularity or is not popular. I now see just as many Sporting KC shirts on people in random places as I do Chiefs and Royals. I see at least 20 cars with Sporting KC decals on cars a day.

You are completely clueless on this subject and your post are about 12 years past due.

 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Let's put this in context. A full house of 18,000 fans at Madison Square Garden is a bit different from 18,000 soccer fans at Giants Stadium. Basketball has lower average attendance than soccer simply because the venues are smaller.

Check your facts, most MLS teams have Soccer specific stadiums with capacities of around 20k just like arenas.

Out of 19 MLS teams, here is the teams playing in stadiums with over 22k capacity:

Seattle
LA
NY
NE

Also, San Jose is playing in a stadium with only 10k capacity until their stadium is done being built.
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Check your facts, most MLS teams have Soccer specific stadiums with capacities of around 20k just like arenas.

Out of 19 MLS teams, here is the teams playing in stadiums with over 22k capacity:

Seattle
LA
NY
NE
I can already tell you that that's wrong. Because DC United plays in RFK Stadium, which is the Redskins' former turf.

Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Yes, the MLS has struggled with TV ratings but the Neilsen rating system is outdated and does not take into account several factors. A lot of MLS fans watch games via the MLS website which isnt counted in ratings. That is usually how I watch games. I rarely watch them on actual TV unless it is my local team playing away.
But you could say that about all sports. I'm going to watch the NBA Finals from my iPad tonight.

Soccer is growing in popularity, but largely among the more affluent and educated. It really hasn't penetrated the popular consciousness unless you're talking about first-generation Americans. For everyone else, football and basketball (and to a lesser extent baseball) still reign supreme.
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Back in MADISON Wi thank God!
1,047 posts, read 3,360,249 times
Reputation: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobb2 View Post
have you ever thought that it isnt necessarily the level of soccer but the fact that it may be the only opportunity for those people to see that team play?

For example, let's say pink floyd were to re-unite. Wouldnt people be falling all over themselves to get a ticket to see it? Hell, i would shell out a $1000 for that ticket. That doesnt mean that english bands are so much better than american bands but that it is a rare opportunity so it creates higher demand. It's simple economics.
no
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Back in MADISON Wi thank God!
1,047 posts, read 3,360,249 times
Reputation: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
beckham was brought over because of the glam factor he brings , beckham is a brand , im not sure what americans think of him but while he was a good player , he was nowhere near a great player , were he not so good looking or married to a spice girl , he would not have the success he does , i can think of plenty of english players let alone international ones who are much more talented
Pays to be good looking huh? Especially coming from a country where that is not the norm.
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I can already tell you that that's wrong. Because DC United plays in RFK Stadium, which is the Redskins' former turf.

Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As I understand it, parts of RFK are no longer used due to safety issues and the capacity is now the lower bowl. Capacity for RFK use to be listed much higher but changed when safety issues arose a few years ago. DC almost was no longer allowed to play there and could be one of the reasons they end up in Baltimore.
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
As I understand it, parts of RFK are no longer used due to safety issues and the capacity is now the lower bowl. Capacity for RFK use to be listed much higher but changed when safety issues arose a few years ago. DC almost was no longer allowed to play there and could be one of the reasons they end up in Baltimore.
I was in the upper level of RFK last fall. It's definitely raggedy. But I don't know if it has been closed or not. That wouldn't surprise me.
 
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But you could say that about all sports. I'm going to watch the NBA Finals from my iPad tonight.

Soccer is growing in popularity, but largely among the more affluent and educated. It really hasn't penetrated the popular consciousness unless you're talking about first-generation Americans. For everyone else, football and basketball (and to a lesser extent baseball) still reign supreme.

Your post proves a point, you say football and basketball reign supreme but where I live, the NBA doesnt even exist. I dont know any fans or anyone that watches it. It doesnt get play at bars here. Granted we dont have a team but from my perspective, the NBA is less popular than minor league baseball. I wouldnt even know who was playing in the Finals if I didnt go to national sports sites and look it up.

Can you admit that maybe you view the MLS the same way because it is from the perspective you have from where you live or what you watch?

Because if I were to measure things from my daily life, the MLS is 10x more popular than the NBA. Just to make it clear, I know that isnt true but just making a point that people's perspectives are different from the facts. The facts clearly show that the MLS is a force in this country and is growing wildly day-by-day.
 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was in the upper level of RFK last fall. It's definitely raggedy. But I don't know if it has been closed or not. That wouldn't surprise me.
I believe some people were injured at a concert or something and the local government would not renovate so it can no longer be used. I dont know this from certain but I recall reading it somewhere. Because, DC use to have the occasional game where they would draw 30k to 40k fans and they havent been able to do that for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top