U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Pays to be good looking huh? Especially coming from a country where that is not the norm.
Yeah because everyone in the states looks like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie do they!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times
Quote:
no
Well, it's very true. I would pay to see a team from Europe not because the quality is higher but more because I would normally have to travel across the ocean to see them play.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,390,893 times
Quote:
Have you actually watched the US team play recently?
Yes I have.

They were on a winning streak until Brazil beat them, including a victory over Italy.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Can you admit that maybe you view the MLS the same way because it is from the perspective you have from where you live or what you watch?
I have to account for that, but I'd also say that the places I've lived are probably a bit more representative of most of America. New York City alone has about as many people as Missouri and Kansas combined. The South has the largest population of any region and I can definitely tell you that basketball is much bigger there than soccer (i.e., North Carolina Tar Heels, Kentucky Wildcats, Duke Blue Devils, ACC basketball, etc.). The average Philadelphian (my hometown) could name Brian Dawkins, Mike Vick, Andre Igoudala or Allen Iverson, but would likely be hard-pressed to come up with the name of any MLS player within 10 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Because if I were to measure things from my daily life, the MLS is 10x more popular than the NBA. Just to make it clear, I know that isnt true but just making a point that people's perspectives are different from the facts. The facts clearly show that the MLS is a force in this country and is growing wildly day-by-day.
I don't know if it's "growing wildly." I do think that it's growing, but I don't think that its popularity is really increasing among the masses. In other words, I would not expect to go to any barbershop, start a conversation about soccer, and expect to get any type of participation beyond, "Yeah, it's cool." On the other hand, there is one conversation taking place at barbershops, around water coolers, and in taxi cabs across America right now. And that conversation centers around the question, "Will Lebron choke again???"

Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes, the United States ranks ahead of Myanmar, Yemen, Curacao, Laos, Dominica, Tahiti, Pakistan, Mongolia, Lesotho, Grenada, Barbados, Turkmenistan, Burundi, Cyprus, Suriname, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Nepal, Bahrain, Oman, Togo, Antigua, Guyana, Sudan, Libya, Slovakia, Armenia, Estonia, Montenegro, Trinidad and Tobago, Rwanda, Gabon, St. Kitts, Botswana, Luxembourg, Gambia, New Zealand and countless others. We should be really proud of working our way past war-torn nations and countries the size of Harlem.

Just imagine the shape the U.S. team would be in if it couldn't convince players with dual nationality to play for us.
Yes it ranks ahead of 85% of the national teams. That is usually considered good in a sport. Certainly well above average. At this point you have no argument.

It was fun.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Could you imagine what John Wall would have been like as a soccer player?

John Wall speeds by all 5 Miami Heat players - YouTube

Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Could you imagine what John Wall would have been like as a soccer player?

John Wall speeds by all 5 Miami Heat players - YouTube
Or Michael Jordan playing baseball........

Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Or Michael Jordan playing baseball........
Haha. I knew someone would bring that up.

But soccer and basketball involve a similar type of physical exertion. Both require good lateral movement and quick cuts. I could see Derrick Rose, John Wall, Allen Iverson or Chris Paul slicing their way through defenders. Those specific players may not have turned out to be good footballers, but I could see someone with their athletic talents excelling at the sport.

The one criticism I hate hearing is, "Well, athleticism doesn't matter as much in soccer, so those guys may not be so good." Or "Soccer involves a skill set that they will likely not be able to master." I think most good athletes excel at nearly any sport. Hand-eye coordination, balance, timing, and spatial orientation will benefit you in a wide range of physical endeavors, not just one. There's a certain natural intelligence and intuition that good athletes have that helps them excel in almost any sport. If a guy is smart enough to figure out how to hedge, go over or under screens, or has a nose for sniffing out half court traps, then he's likely got the ability to understand the dynamics of other sports, too.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:07 PM

Just to put things into perspective. If you took the top 15% of the english premier league you have:

Manchester City
Manchester United
Arsenal

You could argue Arsenal sucks because London is bigger than Manchester and Manchester City is a better team. However, most people consider Arsenal a good team.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Just to put things into perspective. If you took the top 15% of the english premier league you have:

Manchester City
Manchester United
Arsenal

You could argue Arsenal sucks because London is bigger than Manchester and Manchester City is a better team. However, most people consider Arsenal a good team.
Here's a better comparison.

Jordan is ranked No. 28 in the FIBA rankings. They rank behind Lithuania, Turkey, Australia, China, Russia, Angola, Puerto Rico, Slovenia, New Zealand, Iran, Lebanon, the Dominican Republic, and Canada among others. But they also rank ahead of Korea, Tunisia, Mexico, Poland, Madagascar, Latvia, Paraguay, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kuwait, Bulgaria, Mali, Uzbekistan and Finland.

Would you consider Jordan a good team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or