U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 03:28 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Now you are changing your point.
No, I'm not. I said that soccer in the U.S. is: (1) largely a white, affluent and suburban sport and (2) largely an immigrant sport. And apparently the president of the U.S. Soccer Federation agrees with me.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,770,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not what I said. I said that soccer appeals largely to the white and affluent most of whom were raised in the suburbs.

I never said it wasn't. However, I did post objective data on the composition of soccer's viewership and it largely coincides with what I said.
Perhaps we are talking past each other. My point is that in the suburbs soccer is absolutely not limited to affluent towns.

As far as higher level teams requiring money, that is true of a lot of sports in America. Most "travel" teams require more money than a rec league.

Personally I don't know anyone who considers soccer as elitist. Hockey, lacrosse, swimming. Those I have seen with far greater limits to what towns they are available in.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not. I said that soccer in the U.S. is: (1) largely a white, affluent and suburban sport and (2) largely an immigrant sport. And apparently the president of the U.S. Soccer Federation agrees with me.
Now that depends. Are we talking rec league or higher leagues? You originally just said soccer. You didn't mention any specifics behind that.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Perhaps we are talking past each other. My point is that in the suburbs soccer is absolutely not limited to affluent towns.
I think you're making too extreme a point of it. I did say, after all, "more affluent" suburbs. Marlton, NJ, for example, is a whole lot wealthier than Strawberry Mansion, North Philadelphia, PA. When I say that kids are being effectively barred from soccer competition, I'm not talking about little white boys growing up in Marlton. I'm talking about little black and Hispanic boys growing up in North Philly.

Quote:
Personally I don't know anyone who considers soccer as elitist. Hockey, lacrosse, swimming. Those I have seen with far greater limits to what towns they are available in.
I went to Central and we definitely viewed it as somewhat "elitist." Not elitist in the Wimbledon tea-drinking, crumpet-eating, "ballyhoo" kind of way. But we definitely viewed it in the "I play soccer look at all of the stamps on my passport Copenhagen is so cool I'm enrolled in four Kaplan SAT courses this summer" kind of way.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,868 times
Quote:
"I play soccer look at all of the stamps on my passport Copenhagen is so cool I'm enrolled in four Kaplan SAT courses this summer" kind of way.
That was class. Well said.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I think you're making too extreme a point of it. I did say, after all, "more affluent" suburbs. Marlton, NJ, for example, is a whole lot wealthier than Strawberry Mansion, North Philadelphia, PA. When I say that kids are being effectively barred from soccer competition, I'm not talking about little white boys growing up in Marlton. I'm talking about little black and Hispanic boys growing up in North Philly.

I went to Central and we definitely viewed it as somewhat "elitist." Not elitist in the Wimbledon tea-drinking, crumpet-eating, "ballyhoo" kind of way. But we definitely viewed it in the "I play soccer look at all of the stamps on my passport Copenhagen is so cool I'm enrolled in four Kaplan SAT courses this summer" kind of way.
When you say North Philly are you still talking suburbs or urban?

You clearly had a much different experience than I did.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 AM

130 posts, read 201,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the usa is isolated from europe which is the centre of world football , i realise south america produce great players but they all play in europe , bar the world cup , americans will never see the top stars playing in their own country , watching it on tv is a problem due to time difference
I think American football fans are fine with not being the center of the football universe. I also do not see a problem with time difference, we get a plethora of match's almost daily, gol tv, Fox, ESPN, Setenta, ect and we have this neat thing called a DVR.

Although I prefer European football, Argentina, Brazil, even Mexican can be entertaining, any River vs Boca match is more intense then ManU vs City, really good stuff.

Here, in South Florida we have a NASL team, Fort Lauderdale Strickers that get 3-4 thousand supporters to the games, a mix of Euros, South/Central/ and North Americans all together, we'll be going tonight as we do every Saturday night for home games...

The American National Team is improving yearly, there not a bunch of college hacks anymore, many play overseas and it shows. Alexi Lalas, Jeff Agoes, Tony Meola, and a bunch of others wouldn't make today's cut, no way!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 PM

4,848 posts, read 6,362,529 times
I disagree about Lalas and Agoos. The did quite well with less resources. We now have a squad of mostly European based players and it's night and day.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 AM

93 posts, read 133,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
soccer isnt the first sport in the majority of irish kids minds either , outside dublin , the GAA dominates , trust me , i grew up in rural ireland , as wonderfull an orginisation as it is , the GAA is the biggest reason why we struggle at international level in soccer or rugby
I wouldn't agree with Ireland struggling in international rugby. Ireland are no New Zealand, but who is?
I'd consider Ireland a world class rugby team. I know it isn't quite international but Ireland won the Six Nations Championship and a grand slam to boot 3 years ago. Plus, the Irish teams (Munster, Leinster) seem to dominate the European Rugby Union Tournaments.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,971,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoibhd84 View Post
I wouldn't agree with Ireland struggling in international rugby. Ireland are no New Zealand, but who is?
I'd consider Ireland a world class rugby team. I know it isn't quite international but Ireland won the Six Nations Championship and a grand slam to boot 3 years ago. Plus, the Irish teams (Munster, Leinster) seem to dominate the European Rugby Union Tournaments.
ireland are not a world class rugby team and never have been but even we were , rugby is only taken seriously in about ten countries so being one of the top is no great feat IMO , as for european club rugby , a lot of the players on the leinster and munster team are foreign and more importantly , the very top clubs in france and england dont play in the heineken cup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or