Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,224,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
That is changing and very quickly, I went to a Rugby high school and had pretty much the attitude to the sport you are talking about back then.

Soccer was only introduced as an optional sport in the last couple of years i was at the school, each age division was only just able to scrape together one team, compared to 7 or 8 rugby teams, all the kids who played soccer were pretty unpopular.

These days i play soccer, watch more live soccer games than rugby games, and that school I attended has as many soccer teams as it does rugby teams, It's now biggest participation team sport in the Australia.

The new national A-league has done a lot to break down the ethnic boundries upon which the previous national soccer competition existed and bought it to the main stream, it still needs much more money and media exposure to take it anywhere near the popularity of the Rugby League and Aussie Rules competitions however.
i was really refering to the kiwis in the australia and new zealand forum , have not witnessed this attitude from aussies who are not one eyed about sport , unlike thier neighbours to the south east

australia is the ultimate sporting nation , for them to really improve at soccer would shake up the sport and be a tremendously possitive development , australias isolation doesnt help but who knows

Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
The good news is those of us in America don't particularly care. But it is funny that those outside of the US seem to care.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,540,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
But it is funny that those outside of the US seem to care.
Why is it funny? We care about the sport because its part of a lot of people's life. Whats so funny about that?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,976,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Actually, no. Speaking as an average... dumbass American, as you say, I DON'T think soccer is a no talent sport fit for girls and kids. Most Americans actually have a decent amount of respect for the game and and do at least appreciate its mark on the entire world.

..... but we just.... don't.... care that much. And I really don't see why that's a crime to some of you. It's like I always say (and you have to agree): In the most of the world, soccer is life. In America, it's just another sport.

And I really don't feel like getting into another soccer vs. whatever else argument, but I'd just like to point something out to you. Calling people who don't like soccer or don't care about soccer as much "dumb" and having this smug attitude about it doesn't really make the sport any more attractive.

Just sayin'.
Not sure I would agree with the "most" americans part. MANY have come to have an appreciation for soccer.
It's certainly not a crime, as you say, and no one really has to "care that much", but it just gets old hearing people in this country knocking it. ( and that does happen!) Especially in favor of american traditional sports, and claiming that said sports are superior.
I also stand by my term of dumbass, not just because of soccer though, it goes so much deeper than that.
(But that belongs in another discussion category)

Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Why is it funny? We care about the sport because its part of a lot of people's life. Whats so funny about that?
Why would someone from outside the US care about soccer in the US?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Why would someone from outside the US care about soccer in the US?
Oh ok sorry. I thought you ment that it was funny that people outside the US cared about football.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,800,911 times
Quote:
The good news is those of us in America don't particularly care. But it is funny that those outside of the US seem to care.
What is funny is that you took the time to post on the soccer forum

Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,224,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Oh ok sorry. I thought you ment that it was funny that people outside the US cared about football.

your eagerness to argue makes you miss the blatantly obvious

Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM

31,886 posts, read 34,379,372 times
How often do you see "street" soccer in the United States? And I mean street soccer that does not involve (a) immigrants or (b) former collegiate players.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
your eagerness to argue makes you miss the blatantly obvious
I was not arguing with him. I read his comment wrong and I admit that. Do you wont an arguement with me Bob or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.