U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,100,406 times

Advertisements

With Hearts and Dundee United announcing their intentions to vote against the Rangers newco and Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hibernian & Celtic likely to vote against a Rangers newco entering the SPL it looks as though the Rangers newco will be consigned to the lower leagues. Dundee and Dunfermline are favorites to take their place in the SPL, but sources say Rangers will play their first match against Dumbarton in Division 1 the 2nd tier of Scottish football and that is who Dundee are scheduled to play so it looks likely it will be Dundee FC who takes their place! Thank you footballing gods!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18539483
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/h...153000477.html
Dundee United to vote against Rangers newco entering the SPL | Scotzine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:15 AM

BBC Sport - Rangers newco will not get Aberdeen, Dundee Utd or Hearts votes

Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 AM

4,852 posts, read 6,370,582 times
A very interesting story unfolding. I am averse to taxation and philosophically feel that the former Rangers owner did nothing wrong and shudder whenever I hear or read "Her Magesty's Revenue & Customs".

Under the rules, as laid out, I suppose this is a fair move and Whyte surely knew the rules. Dropping Rangers to the lower levels, however, could have negative ramifications for the SPL. How will it affect the finances of the other clubs. I imagine a visit from Rangers and Celtic is a big deal for the smaller clubs. I will definitely be keeping tabs on this story.

Horrible news for Rangers and their supporters around the world and I dare say the entire SPL.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:09 AM

It is either keeping the integrity of Scottish football intact or more finance. One or the other, hard choice!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Good, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of scumbags

Old 06-23-2012, 04:33 AM

Dunfermline aren't gonna let my team get a place in the SPL easily.

We'll fight Dundee for right to replace Rangers in SPL, says Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston - The Daily Record

Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM

SPL/SFA/SFL proposals put forward today -

Rangers are to be relegated with immediate effect and replaced in the SPL by Dundee Football Club. ( YAY! )

Television rights for Rangers matches in Scottish Football League Division One are to be bought by the SPL for 1m

The SPL and SFL will merge into one body at the start of season 2013-14

Play-offs between the top two divisions will be introduced in time for the coming season with one team from the top flight and three from the second tier competing for a place in the following season's SPL ( Really like this one )

There will be an increase in the parachute payments made to clubs relegated from the SPL ( Another good one )

Changes will be made to the distribution model for clubs in the top two tiers with teams in the lower leagues earning a similar amount to the current set-up

A new pyramid system will become effective from season 2014-15 that will allow a potential place in the new league format for a team from either the Highland league or newly-created 'Lowland League'

Rangers newco's acceptance into the Scottish FA would only be approved if they accept responsibility for the football debts and fines incurred by the previous club along with their waiving of rights to a legal challenge

BBC Sport - Rangers newco: Plans for club to enter Scottish Division One

Dundee Football Club - Official Website | CLUB REACTION TO SFL PROPOSALS FOR SCOTTISH GAME |

Old 06-29-2012, 02:01 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,145,610 times
I suppose this means that Celtic are going to walk the SPL every year.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:43 AM

3,949 posts, read 7,557,000 times
Seems there's no guarantee even league 1 will happen.
Some of the First division clubs are objecting, and it still has to go to a vote.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't, but it's not guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Not necessarily.
Let's face it, Celtic and Rangers were guaranteed (pretty much) to win every weekend. It was more of a shock if they didn't.

The smaller teams just couldn't compete because they kept dropping points against the Old firm.

Remember the early 80's when Aberdeen, Dundee united, and even Hearts were normally in with a better shout of the league title ?
They all had stronger squads, and would regularly take points from the old firm, evening things out.
It meant the gap at the top was closer

Although I'd expect Celtic to win, the nearest contenders maybe aren't going to drop 3 points every couple of months to Rangers, so it might just be closer than you think.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Did you even read the proposals? Its a step in the right direction no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer