U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 AM

1,634 posts, read 3,043,043 times

Advertisements

Anfield to get a new name?

I agree with what Henry says about Fair Play, I wish other owners would step up and agree with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 AM

7,411 posts, read 15,208,076 times
That will be terrible but it seems to be the way things go when foreign investors buy out clubs. It will always be Anfield to me. Maybe they will give the "This is Anfield" sign to John when they rename the club.

OTOH he is also right about the financial fair play. I think UEFA just brought these rules in to punish smaller clubs and make sure Europe's elite clubs continue to do what they want by simply ignoring them.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 AM

1,744 posts, read 1,428,379 times
I find it funny that he has no plans of renaming Fenway because of it's history, but renaming Anfield is no problem. Geez!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,192,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I find it funny that he has no plans of renaming Fenway because of it's history, but renaming Anfield is no problem. Geez!
Thats our problem with the Americans. The feeling over this part of the world is that they put the Red Sox first. I dont get why Liverpool keep being sold to Americans. Most of them dont understand the game and dont give a **** about the club(Hicks and Gillett). If we move from Anfield or rename it then we better see a lot of money coming to the club or else there will be murder. These onwers have not given us anything. They dont have the money and any money they have go to the Red Sox. I dont expect to see any progress on the stadium in the next two years and I predict that we will be sold on in 18-24 months time by a board of idiots who will reject a bid by a Middle East company and sell us to another American fool who has no love or clue of the game let alone the club and the whole cycle will begin again.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM

919 posts, read 836,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Thats our problem with the Americans. The feeling over this part of the world is that they put the Red Sox first. I dont get why Liverpool keep being sold to Americans. Most of them dont understand the game and dont give a **** about the club(Hicks and Gillett). If we move from Anfield or rename it then we better see a lot of money coming to the club or else there will be murder. These onwers have not given us anything. They dont have the money and any money they have go to the Red Sox. I dont expect to see any progress on the stadium in the next two years and I predict that we will be sold on in 18-24 months time by a board of idiots who will reject a bid by a Middle East company and sell us to another American fool who has no love or clue of the game let alone the club and the whole cycle will begin again.
I hope this will happen. At the end, you know the most about football (what we in US know about football, right), so let's hope your prediction about L'pool will turn out to be true .

Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,043,043 times
The Red Sox probably make them more money than Liverpool does.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
I hope this will happen. At the end, you know the most about football (what we in US know about football, right), so let's hope your prediction about L'pool will turn out to be true .
Shut up Pete. Stop twisting my words. You are very good at that. I was not talking about American people. I was talking about these rich American business men who dont have a clue.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
The Red Sox probably make them more money than Liverpool does.
Of course they do. They give more money to the Sox and they return the favour.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM

1,744 posts, read 1,428,379 times
It's the same boat the United fans are in with the Glazers. They're only in it for their bottom line, not for the club or the fans or the team. I'm American and I say that American owners should stay the hell out of English football. We have no business trying to run those teams.

As much as I hate the Chelseas and the Man Citys...at least they have owners that are willing to pour money into their club in terms of players and sponsorships and stadiums.

Of course John Henry cares more about the Red Sox. He sees Liverpool as more of a business opportunity, whereas he sees the Red Sox as his passion and treats them like a true team, rather than a stock or investment account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer