U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,520,186 times
Reputation: 1591

Advertisements

Living here in the United States, the majority of our televised soccer exposure, outside of the European and World Cup competitions, is through Fox Soccer (formerly Fox Soccer Channel.) I remember using that network to watch many Premier League matches, Serie A Matches, Ligue 1 matches, UEFA Champions League matches and even some CONCACAF League matches. There were many negatives with that network, the most notable being the absolutely horrendous commentary and low-budget studio shows, but it was a great outlet for soccer fans living in the United States.

However, this year, Fox Soccer has lost Ligue 1 and Serie A matches to a new network called BeIn Sport, a new network that is going to be launched in the U.S. and is owned by Al-Jazeera Sport. Now, I have no problems with another network picking up these leagues, but what concerns me is the availability of this channel. Now, all I can watch on Fox Soccer is the Premier League and the Champions League, and from what I hear Fox Soccer is on its final year of its Premier League deal. If Fox Soccer loses the league, what will happen to it? There's not much else in the way of programming, and I think if it loses that it will be a death knell to the network.

Also, what will happen with soccer's popularity in the U.S.? I am worried this new network won't reach as many providers as Fox Soccer does, and thus will limit our exposure.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,273,017 times
Reputation: 487
I haven't had Fox soccer for a year now, don't really miss it.

ESPN shows all the Champions League games and weekly Premiership games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,849 posts, read 3,973,823 times
Reputation: 6504
We'll just have to wait and see, TV rights to the different leagues changes regularly and often at the last minute (see bein sports).

But I'm not worried at all, interest in the EPL is at an all time high in the states and someone (along with ESPN) will win the rights to televise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,396,020 times
Reputation: 5087
ESPN shows Premier League ? I havent seen it on that.

I love Fox Soccer when the Premier League is on but off season its the worst channel possible. All they show is reruns which gets old quickly. Id much rather see live football from anywhere in the world than reruns of games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I haven't had Fox soccer for a year now, don't really miss it.

ESPN shows all the Champions League games and weekly Premiership games.
ESPN does not have the rights anymore to show Champions League matches. They used to have them, but I think their rights ended after the 2008-09 tournament. They used to also show all the Champions League Final matches live, but FOX got the rights starting in 2009-10.

They do show weekly Premier League matches on the weekends and they will also show Monday matches as well. I like the ESPN broadcasts.


Besides, FOX never gave Ligue 1 that much attention. They would give Serie A attention, but it was clear that the Premiere League is the one they cared about most.


When is BeIn Sport supposed to launch?

Gol TV shows La Liga and Bundesliga matches live here in the US, as well as Europa League matches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,520,186 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
ESPN shows Premier League ? I havent seen it on that.

I love Fox Soccer when the Premier League is on but off season its the worst channel possible. All they show is reruns which gets old quickly. Id much rather see live football from anywhere in the world than reruns of games.
Yes, they do. ESPN2 usually shows the early morning Saturday games (as I live in the West Coast, that means a normal start time of 4:30 or 5:00 AM.) Occasionally, they will show marquee matches on weekdays, and even showed Manchester United vs. Manchester City on their main channel on a Monday. Ian Darke usually does play-by-play; he is extremely good.

You're right about Fox Soccer being a terrible offseason channel. To be honest, the channel itself is quite poor. Outside of live matches, there isn't much else worth watching on that channel. There are way too many informercials, the studio shows are terrible and as of now they barely hold the rights to any leagues. I would love to see Liga MX, Eredivisie and South American leagues.

Also, as an addition, GolTV has lost La Liga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Florida
1,748 posts, read 1,657,377 times
Reputation: 1774
Yeah, the ESPN broadcasts are my favorite as well. Much better commentary than Fox Soccer. I do like having Fox Soccer though because it allows me to see many more games than I would see if I only had the 1 game a week on ESPN.

Plus, as a United fan, I'm pretty much guaranteed that the United game will be televised every week on one of the 2 channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Yes, they do. ESPN2 usually shows the early morning Saturday games (as I live in the West Coast, that means a normal start time of 4:30 or 5:00 AM.) Occasionally, they will show marquee matches on weekdays, and even showed Manchester United vs. Manchester City on their main channel on a Monday. Ian Darke usually does play-by-play; he is extremely good.

You're right about Fox Soccer being a terrible offseason channel. To be honest, the channel itself is quite poor. Outside of live matches, there isn't much else worth watching on that channel. There are way too many informercials, the studio shows are terrible and as of now they barely hold the rights to any leagues. I would love to see Liga MX, Eredivisie and South American leagues.

Also, as an addition, GolTV has lost La Liga.
Who has the American rights to La Liga now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,520,186 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Who has the American rights to La Liga now?
BeIN Sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,520,186 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
ESPN does not have the rights anymore to show Champions League matches. They used to have them, but I think their rights ended after the 2008-09 tournament. They used to also show all the Champions League Final matches live, but FOX got the rights starting in 2009-10.

They do show weekly Premier League matches on the weekends and they will also show Monday matches as well. I like the ESPN broadcasts.


Besides, FOX never gave Ligue 1 that much attention. They would give Serie A attention, but it was clear that the Premiere League is the one they cared about most.


When is BeIn Sport supposed to launch?

Gol TV shows La Liga and Bundesliga matches live here in the US, as well as Europa League matches.
BeIN Sport has already launched, but I only think on satellite (not on cable, which is what I have.)

If the availability were to be improved, this network could be a huge hit and put Fox Soccer to shame. Fox Soccer, for all its worth and for all it has done for exposing Americans to European soccer, is a terrible channel. Each offseason they would promise improvement and rebranding (when they made the switch from Fox Soccer Channel to just Fox Soccer,) but it was always met with disappointment. I remember how excited I was when they were rebranding Fox Soccer Report to Fox Soccer News, but it turned out to be just another terrible show.

And as of this morning, I read an article about how Fox Soccer has a new studio. That's great and all, but all the shiny new features and sets cannot take away how bad the pundits are. Christian Miles is horrendous, and Rob Stone is just plain bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top