U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,308,655 times
Reputation: 288

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Nope, the rumors have been floating around since last summer and Rooney made some thinly-vieled comments hinting at interest. Not saying it is going to happen but Beckham might be done after this season and LA is going to be looking for someone to take his spot. Beckham's contract allowed for up to 50 million in compensation per year. You think that isnt going to get someone's attention?
Yes, those rumors are false. Rooney has stated that he wants to stay at Man Utd for the rest of his career.
Rooney - United for life | Manchester United News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,308,655 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Kinda throws your whole theory out of whack, doesnt it?
Not at all. I said great players. Those guys wouldn't make it in a top class European league or team. Those guys would not be good enough to make it into a starting 11 at a top club in Europe. They might make it into the Championship but that is no achievement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
No you dont get it. Every top class player wants to play in the biggest and best competition which the the European Cup. Get over it. Europe is and always will be a great footballers destination over the MLS.

I am not talking about just Barcelona. Ok, I am talking about the 32 teams in the Champions League and then the likes of Liverpool, Newcastle, Inter Milan, Tottenham, Everton and teams that dont make it into the Champions League. An average team in Europe would be champions in the MLS.
Speaking for everyone again? It must be challenging going through life with such a narrow vision thinking you know what every human being wants and how they think. I really didnt think it was possible for someone to be so dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Not at all. I said great players. Those guys wouldn't make it in a top class European league or team. Those guys would not be good enough to make it into a starting 11 at a top club in Europe. They might make it into the Championship but that is no achievement.
Really? Do you watch those guys play week in and week out? I can tell you that both of those guys could play in the top leagues and probably even start regularly for some. Roger Espinoza has the physicality, skill, tenacity, and work rate to play with the best which is why he has received interest from the EPL, La Liga, the Turkish League, and several others. Many consider him the MVP of the Olympic games this last summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Yes, those rumors are false. Rooney has stated that he wants to stay at Man Utd for the rest of his career.
Rooney - United for life | Manchester United News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports
Do you not pay attention to sports at all? How many athletes and coaches have said they want to spend their career somewhere and end up somewhere else? It happens all the time.

I'm not saying it is going to happen but he has hinted at interest in MLS a couple of times. In fact, he has even said within 5 to 10 years, MLS will be attracting some of the world's top players which completely goes against everything you are saying. I think he would know more than you about what players would want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,308,655 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Speaking for everyone again? It must be challenging going through life with such a narrow vision thinking you know what every human being wants and how they think. I really didnt think it was possible for someone to be so dense.
Ok lets look at it now then. How many top class players play in the MLS? How many top class players play in Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,308,655 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Really? Do you watch those guys play week in and week out? I can tell you that both of those guys could play in the top leagues and probably even start regularly for some. Roger Espinoza has the physicality, skill, tenacity, and work rate to play with the best which is why he has received interest from the EPL, La Liga, the Turkish League, and several others. Many consider him the MVP of the Olympic games this last summer.
They play in a league which doesn't have a lot of quality. If you put Peter Odemwingie in the MLS, he would look like Messi because the quality would be nothing compared to the Premier League or La Liga or most of the other leagues in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Ok lets look at it now then. How many top class players play in the MLS? How many top class players play in Europe?
None as of right now because the pay isnt there.

Let's sum this up. You're making blanket, absolute statements about now and the future regarding people you do not know and people who are not even born yet. Do you realize how ridiculous that is? No rational, reasonable person would ever make such claims. People who know anything about this world and people would not paint a large population of people in such a broad brush. If we were all the same, this world would be a terrible, boring place yet you think that everything wants the same things.

The only claim I am making is that it is possible that in the future whether it be next season or 20 years from now, that MLS will be able to attract top talent. You're trying to say that without a doubt, that will never be the case. It's absolutely ridiculous to think that you know what will happen and what choices people will make. Out of the hundreds, if not thousands of world class players that will exist in the coming decades, you think that none will play in MLS in their prime. What happens when the US starts producing world class talent? Do you think that some of those guys might want to stay at home near their families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
They play in a league which doesn't have a lot of quality. If you put Peter Odemwingie in the MLS, he would look like Messi because the quality would be nothing compared to the Premier League or La Liga or most of the other leagues in Europe.
He plays on the Honduran National team, played in the last World Cup and the last two Olympics. He is probably the best player on the Honduran National Team.

Claiming that the MLS doesnt have a lot of quality is foolish. They are professional players and pretty much every player that comes from South America and Europe constantly makes comments about how surprised they are with the level of play and talent of the players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,308,655 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Do you not pay attention to sports at all? How many athletes and coaches have said they want to spend their career somewhere and end up somewhere else? It happens all the time.
How can you ask me that when you're the one making the bold statement that Rooney could be playing in the MLS as early as next season? I know people say things they dont mean. An example is when Rooney said he would be interested in playing in the MLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm not saying it is going to happen but he has hinted at interest in MLS a couple of times. In fact, he has even said within 5 to 10 years, MLS will be attracting some of the world's top players which completely goes against everything you are saying. I think he would know more than you about what players would want.
I have a strong argument as Wayne Rooney does not play in the MLS, He stated that he would like to finish his career at Man Utd, He signed a new contract at Man Utd last year and that he is eager to play along side RVP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top