U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
How can you ask me that when you're the one making the bold statement that Rooney could be playing in the MLS as early as next season? I know people say things they dont mean. An example is when Rooney said he would be interested in playing in the MLS.

I have a strong argument as Wayne Rooney does not play in the MLS, He stated that he would like to finish his career at Man Utd, He signed a new contract at Man Utd last year and that he is eager to play along side RVP.
That's great, I was providing an example. I never said it was going to happen. It could happen. Anything could happen. I could win the lottery tonight. ANYTHING can happen. That's my entire point. You're the one making blanket statements that certain things will NEVER happen.

You should really do some research in talking in absolutes. The motto is, "talking in absolutes makes you look a fool." You should only talk in absolutes when using facts such as scientific principles. You're talking absolutes about the future of people you do not know and people who are not born yet.

How do you feel about psychics? Do you think they exist or do you think they are nut jobs? Because talking in absolutes when not dealing with facts is the same thing a psychic does and you have been doing it your entire argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Out of the hundreds, if not thousands of world class players that will exist in the coming decades, you think that none will play in MLS in their prime. What happens when the US starts producing world class talent?
No I dont think they will stay in the MLS. Why would they? The talent, money and great football is in Europe. I am being realistic.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
He plays on the Honduran National team, played in the last World Cup and the last two Olympics. He is probably the best player on the Honduran National Team.

Claiming that the MLS doesnt have a lot of quality is foolish. They are professional players and pretty much every player that comes from South America and Europe constantly makes comments about how surprised they are with the level of play and talent of the players.
Thats bull. So what if he plays on the Honduran national team. Sean St Ledger plays on the Irish national team but plays in the Championship. He went to the Euro's and scored Irelands only goal. Point is that playing for the national team means nothing. So what if he plays for Honduras and he is the best player on the team. It means nothing. If he was top class, he would be in Europe playing for a top team.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
No I dont think they will stay in the MLS. Why would they? The talent, money and great football is in Europe. I am being realistic.
Because as the level of play, the level of pay, and the notoriety of MLS sides rise, why would some players not make the move?

What if a world class player marries a girl from Chicago and she wants to be near her family?

Oriel Rosel who came up in the Barcelona system recently transferred to my home side in Kansas City? You want to know why? He wanted an opportunity to study in the United States.

You know why Juergen Klinsmann is coaching the US National Team? His wife is an American and he has an obsession with American culture.

My point is that you never know what people will want in life. For some players, money and fame is everything. For others football is a job and family and environment are more important. Not everyone's priorities are the same. You seem to think that with all these players, football is always their number 1 priority and that is not true.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Thats bull. So what if he plays on the Honduran national team. Sean St Ledger plays on the Irish national team but plays in the Championship. He went to the Euro's and scored Irelands only goal. Point is that playing for the national team means nothing. So what if he plays for Honduras and he is the best player on the team. It means nothing. If he was top class, he would be in Europe playing for a top team.
How can you be so close-minded to think that everything works the way you think it does? You really do think that everything just works one way, dont you?

I never said he was top class, I said he has had offers to play in Europe including the EPL in other leagues and chose to stay in Kansas City. It is an example of a player making a choice based on their family versus football.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
That's great, I was providing an example. I never said it was going to happen. It could happen. Anything could happen. I could win the lottery tonight. ANYTHING can happen. That's my entire point. You're the one making blanket statements that certain things will NEVER happen.
You dont get my point with this do you? You said to me that I dont pay attention to athletes and coaches when they say stuff they dont mean and then you go on and say that Wayne Rooney might be playing in the MLS as soon as next season because he said he was interested. Do you not think that him saying that was something he doesn't mean?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Claiming that the MLS doesnt have a lot of quality is foolish. They are professional players and pretty much every player that comes from South America and Europe constantly makes comments about how surprised they are with the level of play and talent of the players.
As you said before, players say stuff that they dont mean.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Oriel Rosel who came up in the Barcelona system recently transferred to my home side in Kansas City? You want to know why? He wanted an opportunity to study in the United States.
Or maybe because he knows that he cant make it into the Barcelona squad because there is to much talent there.

Quote:
You know why Juergen Klinsmann is coaching the US National Team? His wife is an American and he has an obsession with American culture.
Or maybe its because he cant get a better offer from a better club or country.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I never said he was top class, I said he has had offers to play in Europe including the EPL in other leagues and chose to stay in Kansas City. It is an example of a player making a choice based on their family versus football.
No its not. Its a player who says to himself that he doesn't want to be on the bench and be a sub or a super sub at best.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
You dont get my point with this do you? You said to me that I dont pay attention to athletes and coaches when they say stuff they dont mean and then you go on and say that Wayne Rooney might be playing in the MLS as soon as next season because he said he was interested. Do you not think that him saying that was something he doesn't mean?
He absolutely could be saying something he doesnt mean. I am the want that has made it clear that anything could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or