U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,756,797 times

Advertisements

People have tried to start second American Football leagues without any success and the NFL is about as big as a sports league could get in this country. If another league cant work there, it isnt going to work for another sport.

CCL is a big tournament. As time goes on, it will gain more respect like our continental tournaments. Like I said, it is all about time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM

245 posts, read 256,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
People have tried to start second American Football leagues without any success and the NFL is about as big as a sports league could get in this country. If another league cant work there, it isnt going to work for another sport.

CCL is a big tournament. As time goes on, it will gain more respect like our continental tournaments. Like I said, it is all about time.
Mexican and MLS teams are only the competitors for the cup!!! the rest of the teams are weak

In every continent there are more champions from different countries. The general impression any fan living in another continent when he watches the club world cup is Liga MX is the only strong league in Concacaf

Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,756,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
Mexican and MLS teams are only the competitors for the cup!!! the rest of the teams are weak

In every continent there are more champions from different countries. The general impression any fan living in another continent when he watches the club world cup is Liga MX is the only strong league in Concacaf
You could say the same for UEFA - England, Italy, Spain and Germany are the only competitors out of many more countries than CONCACAF has.

As I said, time is the remedy. Impatience will get you nowhere fast.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,405,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post

I would agree with that in general except I would say the only teams with a chance are Mexican. MLS is slowly edging its way in though and interest has been slowly increasing too. Well get there, itll take time though. The league is young, circa 20 years old. Teams in Europe were formed mid 1800's to early 1900's (bar a few exceptions) so they have had well over a century to build the fanbase and rivalry and talents. No MLS fan is expecting miracles, we see it happening slowly. It seems to be non MLS fans who jump on the CP and BPL being better and whatever, we can see that!

The Champions League only comes down to 3 countries in hte last 10 years (in general) and thats England, Spain and Italy. In reality its down to Spanish and English sides who most thing will make the final and win it. So with 3 main countries, thats not much different to the CONCACAF with 2 as you suggested.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The Champions League only comes down to 3 countries in hte last 10 years (in general) and thats England, Spain and Italy. In reality its down to Spanish and English sides who most thing will make the final and win it. So with 3 main countries, thats not much different to the CONCACAF with 2 as you suggested.
Cant forget Germany. They have 3 teams basically in the quarters. England most likely wont have one.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Yeah they challenge but dont really win, just going on last 10 years generally 3 countries win it. Still in comparison to CONCACAF if I include Germann teams from the CL.

My point is there is no real difference in the level of competition from the CONCACAF to the CL. Quality, yes miles ahead but competition in regards to what nation you think will win it not really.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,106,591 times
Porto and Benfica from Portugal, PSG from France, Jueventus from Italy, Shacktar from Ukraine etc are all in with a shout lately. Porto won it a few years back. Galatasary from Turkey are also getting there.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I bet 90% of the US doesn't even know this tourney exists. Casual soccer fans don't, in my experience.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Porto and Benfica from Portugal, PSG from France, Jueventus from Italy, Shacktar from Ukraine etc are all in with a shout lately. Porto won it a few years back. Galatasary from Turkey are also getting there.
But they're not there. Most wins in the last 10years have been from 3 countries, the same 3 countries you would normally expect the winner to be from. There is no contesting that ...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,106,591 times
Not contesting it, just stating that teams from other countries are improving.

Since 1990 teams from Serbia, Spain, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Germany, England and Portugal have won it. Theres always gonnabe the power houses, but you'll get a surprise now and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or