U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times

Advertisements

Yeah youre right, you basically backed up my point too

Im hoping by 2100 Shelbourne FC will win it!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,421,049 times
Whatever the quality, the Sounders-Tigres game was a lot of fun to watch tonight

Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I bet 90% of the US doesn't even know this tourney exists. Casual soccer fans don't, in my experience.
Time, my friend, time. You have to give things time. They havent exactly done a great job of promoting it but they will over time. It will also help when most of the MLS markets get a chance to play in it. We are getting our first shot this year.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:04 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,501,126 times
so whats up with the CCL schedule. I think for this tournament to really reach its potential CONCACAF all need to get on the same schedule. The CCL final will be in the middle of the MLS season. And its not even last years teams in it. They are a full year behind.

i know Liga MX has the split season but surely there is better way to schedule the CCL to where the final happens closer to the end of the MLS season. Or ideally the week after the MLS season ends.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
so whats up with the CCL schedule. I think for this tournament to really reach its potential CONCACAF all need to get on the same schedule. The CCL final will be in the middle of the MLS season. And its not even last years teams in it. They are a full year behind.

i know Liga MX has the split season but surely there is better way to schedule the CCL to where the final happens closer to the end of the MLS season. Or ideally the week after the MLS season ends.
It is not feasible for all CONCACAF leagues to have the same schedule. The weather and other factors come into play. It's not like other continents where they have relatively similar climates. We have Caribbean teams where it is nice most of the year with a rainy season and then teams all the way in Canada where they have to play in other stadiums the first couple of games this year because of weather.

They are not a full year behind. The teams that qualified for the CCL last season in MLS will start play in the new CCL competition which begins in August.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,501,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It is not feasible for all CONCACAF leagues to have the same schedule. The weather and other factors come into play. It's not like other continents where they have relatively similar climates. We have Caribbean teams where it is nice most of the year with a rainy season and then teams all the way in Canada where they have to play in other stadiums the first couple of games this year because of weather.

They are not a full year behind. The teams that qualified for the CCL last season in MLS will start play in the new CCL competition which begins in August.
and the CCL final this year will be almost full year behind.

ideally you want the CCL final within a couple weeks after the end of the league. Our CCL final is after a full off-season and then over 2 months into the next season.

Last edited by Aldous9; 03-19-2013 at 07:46 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times
If the CCL was more economically viable to coincide with MLS like the ECL does then they would do it. Those events are all about money being generated. If the MLS was the biggest market in the CCL and would rake in lots of more money for the Gov body then I could see them switching dates but right now MLS is just a pea in a potatoe box.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
and the CCL final this year will be almost full year behind.

ideally you want the CCL final within a couple weeks after the end of the league. Our CCL final is after a full off-season and then over 2 months into the next season.
You do realize that MLS is not the only league that has teams represented, right? You do realize that other leagues participate and their seasons run differently.

Ideally? What is this based on? You again just posting your ideas of how things should be and just thinking that is all that is needed as a reason or are you actually going to provide some logically, good reasons it should be that way.

Why does it matter? It is a different competition, it doesnt need to run in line with the season.

For the UEFA Champions League, you have some European leagues that participate that have seasons that run differently and the final is several months off the end of their season as well.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM

245 posts, read 256,183 times
With more expansion and more ticket promotion, I think it can grow stronger especially the new immigrant market prefer soccer over baseball and football. The MLS should market its league to second generation Americans and make them love their local teams instead of there old country teams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or