U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,142,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I don't think that the MLS will ever have the impact that other American sports have on the American psyche, nor the impact that European football has on Americans. As an American, I couldn't care less about the MLS. I love European football and follow my team with a passion. I read all the news I can get my hands on and watch any game that I can, regardless of its Wigan vs West Ham.

If I pass an MLS game on ESPN2, I'll skip right over it. It just doesn't hold the same mystique that an English or Spanish game holds. I guess that if I lived in Seattle or Portland I'd root for my home team, but being in NY, I just don't feel that pull to root for the Red Bulls.

If you live in American and you are a football/soccer fan, you already have a favorite team in Europe that you are going to follow. You're not going to adopt a US team and root them with the same passion you have for your European team.

If you live in America and you are NOT a football/soccer fan, there is little to no chance that you are going to become one by watching the MLS. You're going to stick to the NFL, NBA, NHL, or MLB and do fine. If you catch that football/soccer buzz around the World Cup time, you'll wind up doing some research and become a fan of a European team.

It's just the facts. Unfortunately. The MLS is never going to be able to compete with other leagues to bring in the real young talent (like a Messi, Ronaldo, RVP, etc). They will continue to have young Americans and aging European stars that are out of contract from their original clubs. They'll continue to do well in their local markets, but won't attract any further viewership.
Your post is right on!! I love European football myself and I also enjoy South American football, mainly Brazil. US soccer will never ever get huge outside of the U.S and a lot of people in the U.S dont even care for soccer, they dont see it as a real mans sport. Whatever. When it comes to CONCACAF Mexico is number one. Also MLS cant afford the talent that other teams can. Sure they have Beckam, but of course he is playing for England in the 2014 World Cup. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to Brasil for the World Cup, its going to be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 PM

810 posts, read 1,521,948 times
I think MLS should just keep doing what it's doing. I think the current conference and playoff schedule works just fine; I don't see a need for going to single table and a relegation/promotion system.

As a soccer fan, I have long-accepted that the sport will never be treated to the same herald that is given to football, baseball and basketball, nor should it be. Remember, the reason that these European leagues are so good is because they are not only the national sport of those countries, but have clubs that have been around for many years.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,310,031 times
I dont follow the MLS because when I watch European football and then turn to the MLS, it almost makes me cry. I am sorry but I just associate American sports with the likes of baseball and hockey. The MLS wont grow because its not in Europe. Its not part of the Champions League so no one great wants to play there but its doing ok at the moment. The league is not going to get any bigger then it is because it cant compete with Europe.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,406,753 times
MLS makes you cry ? It wont grow because its not in Europe ? Two worst statements youve said in days. You say youre a St Pats fan and go to all the games and the MLS makes you cry ? LMAO. So any football league outside of Europe wont grow then ?

MLS IS in the Champions League bro, you realise there is more than one Champions League right ? MLS will never be La Liga or BPL but it will grow, there is no doubt about that.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
MLS makes you cry ? It wont grow because its not in Europe ? Two worst statements youve said in days. You say youre a St Pats fan and go to all the games and the MLS makes you cry ? LMAO. So any football league outside of Europe wont grow then ?

MLS IS in the Champions League bro, you realise there is more than one Champions League right ? MLS will never be La Liga or BPL but it will grow, there is no doubt about that.
You are not getting what I am saying. My point is that its nothing compared to European football. I am talking about on the pitch. Of course it can grow its fanbase but at the end of the day, the MLS will never get players like Messi or Iniesta because all the best players want to play in the best competition on the planet (The Champions League). MLS is not as good as any of the big leagues in Europe and it never will be. So when I say it wont grow, I am talking about the quality on the pitch bro.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM

But the quality on the pitch is growing so how can you say it wont grow ? Have you ever watched MLS ? I mean really watched it, I dont mean saw 10 minutes of a game and you cried and turn it off. I have been watching for about 10 years now and the quality of play has definitely improved.

No we will not have Iniesta or Messi in our ranks in their peak because the money is WAY better in Spain but we have and will continue to have good players in the league and we will in the future see much better young players and be a feeder to Europe I think.

Anyway saying just because you dont have a Messi in your league does not mean its a bad league. The competition is getting tougher and the crowds are growing in MLS which is a sign that it will continue to grow. If you watch football to see Messi and players on ungodly amounts of money just because of this then you're not a real football fan.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
But the quality on the pitch is growing so how can you say it wont grow ? Have you ever watched MLS ? I mean really watched it, I dont mean saw 10 minutes of a game and you cried and turn it off. I have been watching for about 10 years now and the quality of play has definitely improved.

No we will not have Iniesta or Messi in our ranks in their peak because the money is WAY better in Spain but we have and will continue to have good players in the league and we will in the future see much better young players and be a feeder to Europe I think.

Anyway saying just because you dont have a Messi in your league does not mean its a bad league. The competition is getting tougher and the crowds are growing in MLS which is a sign that it will continue to grow. If you watch football to see Messi and players on ungodly amounts of money just because of this then you're not a real football fan.
I never said it was a bad league. You just proved my point. It will never grow as big as in Europe. You wont have top class players because top class players want to play in the Champions League.

I watch Messi because he is the greatest player I have ever seen, not because he is on 250k a week. The quality wont grow enough because teams will take your players at an earlier age. You wont have a team of 25 year old superstars on your teams because by the age of 20 they will be already in Europe.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Europe isnt a league bro, its a continent. You're a big Junkies fan right ? Do watch them or take the same attitude because I am pretty sure they get < 1000 people at a game so you cant mock the MLS in any regard. So MLS > LOI by a LONG shot then so that blows your comparison out. In the SPL the avg attendence is below below 10k for most of the teams Scotland Team Attendance Statistics - 2012-13 - ESPNFC and in MLS hte avg is above 13k so thats two top flight leagues that a 15yr old league as already surpassed and destroyed in the case of Ireland. I am sure I can find avg attendances for other European countries that MLS compares to or beats also.

Obviously there are leagues that blow MLS out of the water but MLS is an avg league at only 15 years or so old.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
Quote:
Europe isnt a league bro, its a continent. You're a big Junkies fan right ? Do watch them or take the same attitude because I am pretty sure they get < 1000 people at a game so you cant mock the MLS in any regard. So MLS > LOI by a LONG shot then so that blows your comparison out. In the SPL the avg attendence is below below 10k for most of the teams Scotland Team Attendance Statistics - 2012-13 - ESPNFC and in MLS hte avg is above 13k so thats two top flight leagues that a 15yr old league as already surpassed and destroyed in the case of Ireland. I am sure I can find avg attendances for other European countries that MLS compares to or beats also.

Obviously there are leagues that blow MLS out of the water but MLS is an avg league at only 15 years or so old.
You do realize that Scotland is a tiny country when compared to the US, right? You have teams playing out of towns essentially. No way they will be able to draw 25-30,000 fans. Everyone knows most Irish people support either an English, or Scottish club. And their best players all head to those two countries to play. So saying Ireland is poor for attendance, is just as bad as saying Scotland is. Both of those countries are a lot smaller than the US.

The MLS should focus on getting every team into a Soccer Specific stadium and assume the role as a lower level league where the bigger leagues can turn to to get some cheap talent.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Who said Europe is a league? I didn't. What I said is that every good player wants to play for the best teams and the best teams are in Europe. Every player wants to win the European Cup.

You go on like I said something about attendance when in truth, I didn't. What I said was that it doesn't matter if the MLS fills out 100,000 people a week. At the end of the day, it cant compare to European football and wont. All your best players will want to go to teams in Europe rather then stay in the states. If you produce a Messi lets say, do you honestly think that the likes of Barcelona and Madrid wont try to snap him up and do you honestly think that he would reject the draw of the worlds greatest teams or the worlds best leagues. Plus there is lots of money on offer to.

The MLS is not a bad league and I say I would enjoy it if I lived in the States but at the end of the day, it doesn't compare to the likes of the EPL and La Liga. End of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or