U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
The MLS is not a bad league and I say I would enjoy it if I lived in the States but at the end of the day, it doesn't compare to the likes of the EPL and La Liga. End of.
There are people here in the States who barely even acknowledge MLS.

That's not a diss twoards the league, it's just the truth. Besides, several big time soccer fans in America would prefer EPL and other world leagues over MLS. Hell, here in Texas, there are more Mex League fans than than anything. Even in Houston where the Dynamo has one of the best fanbases in the country still has people going with Mexican clubs first, THEN Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
There are people here in the States who barely even acknowledge MLS.

That's not a diss twoards the league, it's just the truth. Besides, several big time soccer fans in America would prefer EPL and other world leagues over MLS. Hell, here in Texas, there are more Mex League fans than than anything. Even in Houston where the Dynamo has one of the best fanbases in the country still has people going with Mexican clubs first, THEN Houston.
I would say that's because of the media. In Europe football is the number one sport and at the center of the media but thats not the case in the US. If the MLS wants to do well, its going to have to become more popular which it is doing so it is on the up. I am wrong to say that it would make me cry. I apologise. Its the commentary that I dont like rather then the football. I cant stand American commentary when it comes to football. I suppose thats because I am used to the likes of Martin Tyler and George Hamilton doing commentary.

That was my point on Europe. The US could have a good league but not a very talented one if you ask me. The US could have a very good league if the nation went soccer crazy but its going to need a lot of help from the media.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,424,542 times
There's a lack of polish on the MLS of course including broadcasting (also the lesser talents there) but you have to get past it just like supporters of the local non-EPL teams do supporting their Exeter City or Port Vales, etc.

MLS is growing slowly and no it wont be the EPL but it will get better and better.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,087,185 times
Supporting Dundee is, 80% of the time, a nightmare, but they are my local team and what I have been brought up on. I will support and spend stupid amounts of money following them, even on a cold snowy night just before christmas in a small fishing town with a population of just a sheep and a chicken in the far north of Scotland because thats what it means to SUPPORT a team, not just being a fan. Until American fans start supporting their LOCAL teams like that it will be hard to succeed imo.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Supporting Dundee is, 80% of the time, a nightmare, but they are my local team and what I have been brought up on. I will support and spend stupid amounts of money following them, even on a cold snowy night just before christmas in a small fishing town with a population of just a sheep and a chicken in the far north of Scotland because thats what it means to SUPPORT a team, not just being a fan. Until American fans start supporting their LOCAL teams like that it will be hard to succeed imo.
Agree Paul. Oh and what you just said is just a normal day in Scotland anyway. **** weather

I suppose I cant really gloat.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,012,541 times
I would argue that the media makes MLS out to be much less popular and important than it actually is. It is the #3 most attended (im talking avg. game attendance) professional sport in America. The Sunday regular season Cascadia Cup matchup down the street here in Seattle sold 65,000 tickets! Absolutely ridiculous (in a very good way)!

You people must realize that the sports media is full of old dinosaurs who know nothing other than the "big 3" sports. So, of course the media is going to make MLS appear completely irrelevant and a joke. Don't fall for it.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I would argue that the media makes MLS out to be much less popular and important than it actually is. It is the #3 most attended (im talking avg. game attendance) professional sport in America. The Sunday regular season Cascadia Cup matchup down the street here in Seattle sold 65,000 tickets! Absolutely ridiculous (in a very good way)!

You people must realize that the sports media is full of old dinosaurs who know nothing other than the "big 3" sports. So, of course the media is going to make MLS appear completely irrelevant and a joke. Don't fall for it.
Big FOUR.

And no one is saying that MLS is completely irrelevant or a joke. That's YOU believing it.

I really don't feel like going into the numbers game again, because NASCAR is the #1 spectator sport in the country.... but I think we all know it's not the #1 sport here (NFL holds that title). It's because NASCAR tracks can hold up to 200,000+ fans with only 2 months off, so of course there is more in attendance.

Point is, MLS is what it is in America. It's a major sport, but not quite on the level of the other, older, more well established sports leagues here. That's not a knock on MLS, it's just the truth. That league still has a ways to go.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post

If the MLS had huge ratings, or click through rates on articles, you would see the mainstream media pick up on them more. The fact is, ESPN and FOX pay more attention to European football.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 AM

889 posts, read 1,014,754 times
MLS will never catch on until it develops a full scale promotion/relegation pyramid with hundreds of teams across the country.

As it is right now, what point is there in watching? Say you live where I do, 4 hours away from the closest team. Why would you waste your time watching lower quality soccer when you could just as easily watch teams from England, Germany, or Spain instead? It's not like you can go to the games of any of the teams anyways. So what does it matter if they are playing in London, Munich, Barcelona, or Chicago? It doesn't, the only thing that matters is the quality. MLS is inferior to those other leagues, so no one cares about it except the people in the very few cities that have teams.

To get more people interested, you put teams in more cities. Put even a division 3 or 4 team in my city and I'd not only have season tickets, but I might actually care about what other "regional" teams are doing because they would be our competition (or potential future competition). As it stands now, what point is there in following? Not gonna waste my time and money to try to attend MAYBE one or two games a year in Chicago or Columbus just because they are my "market's team".

My "market" is Lansing/mid-Michigan, not Chicago or Ohio or even Detroit. If there isn't a team here, I'm not following the sport. Most people feel the same way. That is why football, basketball, and baseball are so popular, there are teams all over the place - you watch your local players (in my case: Michigan State Spartans) and then you follow the higher leagues to see how guys from your team are still doing. Soccer doesn't have that. College soccer is garbage (none of the good players play college, they skip it to play elsewhere and develop more), so fans don't care about it - the only realistic way to set up something like that is to open up a promotion/relegation system to get more teams formed that people actually care about.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
MLS will never catch on until it develops a full scale promotion/relegation pyramid with hundreds of teams across the country.

As it is right now, what point is there in watching? Say you live where I do, 4 hours away from the closest team. Why would you waste your time watching lower quality soccer when you could just as easily watch teams from England, Germany, or Spain instead? It's not like you can go to the games of any of the teams anyways. So what does it matter if they are playing in London, Munich, Barcelona, or Chicago? It doesn't, the only thing that matters is the quality. MLS is inferior to those other leagues, so no one cares about it except the people in the very few cities that have teams.

To get more people interested, you put teams in more cities. Put even a division 3 or 4 team in my city and I'd not only have season tickets, but I might actually care about what other "regional" teams are doing because they would be our competition (or potential future competition). As it stands now, what point is there in following? Not gonna waste my time and money to try to attend MAYBE one or two games a year in Chicago or Columbus just because they are my "market's team".

My "market" is Lansing/mid-Michigan, not Chicago or Ohio or even Detroit. If there isn't a team here, I'm not following the sport. Most people feel the same way. That is why football, basketball, and baseball are so popular, there are teams all over the place - you watch your local players (in my case: Michigan State Spartans) and then you follow the higher leagues to see how guys from your team are still doing. Soccer doesn't have that. College soccer is garbage (none of the good players play college, they skip it to play elsewhere and develop more), so fans don't care about it - the only realistic way to set up something like that is to open up a promotion/relegation system to get more teams formed that people actually care about.
So basically what you're asking for is a Farm System...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or