U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,597,019 times

Advertisements

There are too many poseurs, as we see, who are eager to declare how they are too discerning for MLS, so they instead follow a few big clubs and a few big names in Europe. That's the extent of their footall knowledge. That's why they speak in generalizations ("the European leagues") and actually believe clubs like Wigan are truly a cut above US sides. Once that trend of false connoisseurs dies off, the league will grow even faster than it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,764,830 times
The MLS doesnt need to change anything. They just need to keep doing what they are doing. Do you know one of the top reasons that the NFL and MLB are so popular? Because they have been around for a generations and sports fandom is passed down from generation to generation so it creates more and more fans as the generations passed. MLS is only in it's second generation of fans. As the league ages and more fans grow up supporting MLS teams and passing it down to their children, MLS will get more popular. MLS is very popular with the 18 to 30 demographic in the U.S. which is a sign that as that demo ages and that generations kids grow up watching and going to games with their dads, it will become even more popular.

MLS is making all the right moves and growing at a steady and healthy rate. They dont need promotion and relegation, they just need to maintain the rate of growth they have now. The owners in the league who have invested hundreds of millions of dollars and not going to allow a system where their team could potentially move down to what US sports fans view as minor league. It is like voluntarily asking to lose tens of millions of dollars. There are lower level leagues to follow and people do follow them. Some of the USL teams draw 10k per game.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,376,846 times
The NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB also can boast having and showing the best players in the world at their sport (though that is not totally true anymore, but is for the most part). Unless I am missing something, that will never happen with the MLS.

I've been very impressed by the amount of people I know in Chicago that have an interest in certain Euro teams, but as I have said before, I've literally, never, never, met a 'die hard' Chicago Fire fan. And I have lived here my entire life.

I would be happy where I was if I were the MLS. If the standard anyone is holding them to is a Euro league, or the NFL, well, you're going to be disappointed.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
The NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB also can boast having and showing the best players in the world at their sport (though that is not totally true anymore, but is for the most part). Unless I am missing something, that will never happen with the MLS.
It's possible, it is just going to take time. The world's biggest players have been quoted as to having an interest in MLS and following the league. It's the US and it is an appealing place for most people. But, the pay just isnt at that level yet but it probably will be there one day but we are at least a couple of decades from it. There are lots of soccer players because most of the world plays it so there is enough talent to go around to several leagues.

Quote:
I've been very impressed by the amount of people I know in Chicago that have an interest in certain Euro teams, but as I have said before, I've literally, never, never, met a 'die hard' Chicago Fire fan. And I have lived here my entire life.
I have a hard time believing that being that I have only been to Chicago twice and I ran into them both times. Chicago played here in KC last weekend and there were over 300 Fire fans that made the trip too.

However, Chicago's ownership group hasnt done a very good job with fan relations and has pissed off a lot of their fanbase.

Quote:
I would be happy where I was if I were the MLS. If the standard anyone is holding them to is a Euro league, or the NFL, well, you're going to be disappointed.
Sadly, a lot of people do that. It's funny because I know lots of Americans who wont follow MLS because it isnt on par with EPL but all the people I know that moved here from other countries not only follow MLS but have season tickets to the team in their market and follow it like they did their team from home. I think some people just want to have an elitist attitude because they think it makes them cooler when in reality it makes them look stupid. MLS teams arent that far off from lower level EPL clubs and most of them would probably compete in the Championship.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,376,846 times
Yeah, Robb, I by no means am claiming they have NO fans, its just can't be a sizable population or else I would've seen it.

Question though, you said youve been to Chicago twice and met them, don't you work for the KC team? Isn't your sample going to be somewhat skewed (meaning you were around 'industry' people)?

I think we discussed it before, Chicago is a unique MLS market in the sense that its regressing, or at best, stagnant where as if I lived in other cities, I would see more of the product/growth. So I'm sure my sample is also skewed in that respect.

I do want to go to a fire game though, I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,311,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
There are too many poseurs, as we see, who are eager to declare how they are too discerning for MLS, so they instead follow a few big clubs and a few big names in Europe. That's the extent of their footall knowledge. That's why they speak in generalizations ("the European leagues") and actually believe clubs like Wigan are truly a cut above US sides. Once that trend of false connoisseurs dies off, the league will grow even faster than it is now.
There is nothing false about it. Wigan is the Premier Leagues worst team and has a fan base of about 30,000 people. How many of your teams would beat Wigan? I would put money on it that if Wigan played in the MLS, they would win the league.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,311,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It's possible, it is just going to take time. The world's biggest players have been quoted as to having an interest in MLS and following the league. It's the US and it is an appealing place for most people. But, the pay just isnt at that level yet but it probably will be there one day but we are at least a couple of decades from it. There are lots of soccer players because most of the world plays it so there is enough talent to go around to several leagues.
Its not though. The best players in the world will never be interested in the MLS. It will always be Europe. Biggest teams, best trophies and it means more to the continent.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Robb, I by no means am claiming they have NO fans, its just can't be a sizable population or else I would've seen it.

Question though, you said youve been to Chicago twice and met them, don't you work for the KC team? Isn't your sample going to be somewhat skewed (meaning you were around 'industry' people)?

I think we discussed it before, Chicago is a unique MLS market in the sense that its regressing, or at best, stagnant where as if I lived in other cities, I would see more of the product/growth. So I'm sure my sample is also skewed in that respect.

I do want to go to a fire game though, I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
No, I dont work for the team. I once ran into some at McFadden's downtown and another time I was near Toyota Park at the Titled Kilt in Bridgview.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Its not though. The best players in the world will never be interested in the MLS. It will always be Europe. Biggest teams, best trophies and it means more to the continent.
Never? That's a bold statement. The reason those are the biggest teams and best trophies is because of age. MLS is only 16 years old. It's an infant. When the league becomes older, the revenues and incomes increase, it will become a bigger league, the trophies will become more valuable and CONCACAF Champions League could become one of the world's most respected club tournaments. You cant say never. People love the United States and if the league grows, players will be tempted to come here and play. I'm not saying it will be next year.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,895,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Now you're going to generalize these so called "posers" for their lack of football knowledge? I go to a bar in Boston that is loaded with fans of a wide range or European teams, namely those that play in England. Most of the people are Americans and they all know a ton about the clubs they support as well as other clubs in the English Premiere League and other European leagues.

Live in NYC? Go to the Football Factory at Legends and see how many posers there are in there on a weekend. That places gets hundreds of people coming and going to watch their team.

For every 1 person who only knows Man United and Messi, there are several people who can name at least 5 or 6 teams from Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, etc. and know a ton about their club of choice.

In any event, the MLS is what it is. Who knows, maybe 50 years down the road the league will be built up enough to the point where all teams can average over 30,000 a game. They have a very long way to go before they will attract the top footballers in their primes. The MLS is a good place for someone to go at the end of their career. Think David Beckham, Tierry Henry and Tim Cahill.

I personally think they should go with a table format where each team plays each other twice, once at home and once on the road. Then have a playoff involving the top 8 teams in a knockout 2 leg format, sans the title game which would be one game.

The MLS should also continue to encourage and seek out European teams to have summer tours in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or