U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Never? That's a bold statement. The reason those are the biggest teams and best trophies is because of age. MLS is only 16 years old. It's an infant. When the league becomes older, the revenues and incomes increase, it will become a bigger league, the trophies will become more valuable and CONCACAF Champions League could become one of the world's most respected club tournaments. You cant say never. People love the United States and if the league grows, players will be tempted to come here and play. I'm not saying it will be next year.
The European Cup is already the biggest club competition in world football. That will get older to. That will always be the biggest trophy to win which results in players wanting to play in Europe.

How do you know that all these players will like the United States. I dont think Lionel Messi would trade in his life at Barcelona for a life in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
I can safely say, yes NEVER, will any club league or tournament have the popularity, prestige, skill, talent and history of the UEFA champions league more likely for the sun to explode before that happens.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
The European Cup is already the biggest club competition in world football. That will get older to. That will always be the biggest trophy to win which results in players wanting to play in Europe.

How do you know that all these players will like the United States. I dont think Lionel Messi would trade in his life at Barcelona for a life in LA.
You mean the UEFA Champions League? Yes, it is the biggest cup competition on the club level. However, it is a large world and room for other big tournaments as well. As the CONCACAF Champions League grows in popularity and gets more competitive, it will become more respected.

I didnt say all. You are the one using blanket statements like all and never. There are lots of soccer players, even lots of great soccer players. I know from my experience with talking with people from other countries that a good chunk of the world population has a curiosity about living in the U.S. If MLS teams can get to the point where they are offering 10, 20 or even 30 million dollars a year, some of the world's top players will start coming to MLS to play. There are quotes from players saying they have an interest in playing in MLS.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
In any event, the MLS is what it is. Who knows, maybe 50 years down the road the league will be built up enough to the point where all teams can average over 30,000 a game. They have a very long way to go before they will attract the top footballers in their primes. The MLS is a good place for someone to go at the end of their career. Think David Beckham, Tierry Henry and Tim Cahill.

50 years? They are already averaging 20k. Most stadiums only hold around 20k. They will be expanding stadiums and most teams will be averaging 30k long before 50 years. My guess is closer to 20 years, I bet stadiums start expanding in 10 to 15.

Teams outside of NY and LA are getting away from signing aging players. For example, SKC is currently on the lookout for a younger star under the age of 24. Teams need to get away from signing aging players and get young talent that can play in the league for years to come.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,405 times
Quote:
You mean the UEFA Champions League? Yes, it is the biggest cup competition on the club level. However, it is a large world and room for other big tournaments as well. As the CONCACAF Champions League grows in popularity and gets more competitive, it will become more respected.

I didnt say all. You are the one using blanket statements like all and never. There are lots of soccer players, even lots of great soccer players. I know from my experience with talking with people from other countries that a good chunk of the world population has a curiosity about living in the U.S. If MLS teams can get to the point where they are offering 10, 20 or even 30 million dollars a year, some of the world's top players will start coming to MLS to play. There are quotes from players saying they have an interest in playing in MLS.
Yes of course there can be other trophies that are good but not as good as the European Cup.

Could you please name some of these players. You can have good players in your league but the great ones want to play in the great leagues. Its nothing against the MLS, its just the truth.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
Quote:
50 years? They are already averaging 20k. Most stadiums only hold around 20k. They will be expanding stadiums and most teams will be averaging 30k long before 50 years. My guess is closer to 20 years, I bet stadiums start expanding in 10 to 15.

Teams outside of NY and LA are getting away from signing aging players. For example, SKC is currently on the lookout for a younger star under the age of 24. Teams need to get away from signing aging players and get young talent that can play in the league for years to come.
I said all teams. It's going to be a long time before all MLS team average over 30,000 fans a game.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,012,808 times
MLS is already 8th in the world for attendance. Not bad for a 16 year old league!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
You are a huge country though. Brits like fish and chips but theres probably more sold in China!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Yes of course there can be other trophies that are good but not as good as the European Cup.

Could you please name some of these players. You can have good players in your league but the great ones want to play in the great leagues. Its nothing against the MLS, its just the truth.
You keep making these blanket statements like every soccer player in the world wants the exact same thing. People are far more complex than that. People have different needs and want different things. Sure, a large majority of players will always want to remain in Europe but to claim that all great players do not or will not have an interest in MLS is absurd. Beckham had a chance to go to PSG and Tottenham but turned it down. Henry has had offers to go back to Europe but has turned them down. Landon Donovan could be playing at Everton but isnt. Cahill could have stayed in Europe but didnt.

C. Ronaldo made comments a few months ago about an interest in MLS.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
You are a huge country though. Brits like fish and chips but theres probably more sold in China!
Size of the country isnt relevant, it is the size of each market. People arent going to travel such a large country regularly going to games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or