U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,013 times
Reputation: 288

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You keep making these blanket statements like every soccer player in the world wants the exact same thing. People are far more complex than that. People have different needs and want different things. Sure, a large majority of players will always want to remain in Europe but to claim that all great players do not or will not have an interest in MLS is absurd. Beckham had a chance to go to PSG and Tottenham but turned it down. Henry has had offers to go back to Europe but has turned them down. Landon Donovan could be playing at Everton but isnt. Cahill could have stayed in Europe but didnt.

C. Ronaldo made comments a few months ago about an interest in MLS.
Ronaldo will never go to America while at his prime.

The players you have mentioned are all has-beens. If Beckham was at his prime, he would be in Europe. Same with Henry. Same with Keane.

I am pretty sure that my statement that no great player will want to play in the MLS is correct. Every player does have different needs as a human being but as a player, every great player wants to win the best trophies which are the likes of the European Cup, Premier League, La Liga etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,400,231 times
Reputation: 5087
If the money is right a player will move anywhere ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Ronaldo will never go to America while at his prime.

The players you have mentioned are all has-beens. If Beckham was at his prime, he would be in Europe. Same with Henry. Same with Keane.

I am pretty sure that my statement that no great player will want to play in the MLS is correct. Every player does have different needs as a human being but as a player, every great player wants to win the best trophies which are the likes of the European Cup, Premier League, La Liga etc.....

You're very naive if you think you can apply blank statements to people like that. Do you know anyone that is great at their profession that has taken a less paying, less prestigious position? I know plenty of those people. Athletes are no different because they are people too.

Whether or not they are has beens is not relevant if clubs in Europe were vying for their services. All three players mentioned had offers from the clubs you claim great players will always want to play at and turned them down. Henry could still score regularly in the EPL. Beckham could still provide his classic through balls and free kicks in the EPL and Keane could still score goals. They could still compete for those trophies you mention and choose not too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If the money is right a player will move anywhere ...
Money, the chance to live somewhere different, the chance to experience something new, and lots of other reasons.

It's just like players in the NFL like Mario Williams who could have signed with a legitimate Super Bowl contender signing with the Buffalo Bills who arent going to win a Super Bowl or Eric Winston who is one of the best right tackles in the game signing with the Kansas City Chiefs who arent going to compete for a Super Bowl anytime soon because he loved the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,013 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You're very naive if you think you can apply blank statements to people like that. Do you know anyone that is great at their profession that has taken a less paying, less prestigious position? I know plenty of those people. Athletes are no different because they are people too.

Whether or not they are has beens is not relevant if clubs in Europe were vying for their services. All three players mentioned had offers from the clubs you claim great players will always want to play at and turned them down. Henry could still score regularly in the EPL. Beckham could still provide his classic through balls and free kicks in the EPL and Keane could still score goals. They could still compete for those trophies you mention and choose not too.
Ok we clearly dont agree so lets just have a look what happens. I bet 100 that I will be right.

Oh and no those players you mention cant make it anymore in Europe. Thats the reason they didn't come back. Beckham knows that he would not be a regular starting 11 if he joined PSG and the same with Henry and Keane. Keane left for the US because he could not get into the Tottenham team. They were great but not anymore. You cant attract the likes of Messi and Ronaldo at their prime and that is not a blank statement, thats a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,013 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If the money is right a player will move anywhere ...
The money is in Europe. Always has been, always will be. Do you honestly think that the top European teams will sit back and let these American teams come and take their best players? It wont happen. Money is good here, trophies are good here, players are happy in Europe etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,849 posts, read 3,976,148 times
Reputation: 6509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Ronaldo will never go to America while at his prime.

The players you have mentioned are all has-beens. If Beckham was at his prime, he would be in Europe. Same with Henry. Same with Keane.

I am pretty sure that my statement that no great player will want to play in the MLS is correct. Every player does have different needs as a human being but as a player, every great player wants to win the best trophies which are the likes of the European Cup, Premier League, La Liga etc.....

So what is taking Neymar and Ganso so long to come to Europe? By your mentality, every league in the world (except for the tops in England, Spain, Italy and Germany) should shut down.

If MLS is BS, then so is the Turkish Superleague, Poland, Scotland, Australia, Netherlands, K-League, etal., worthless, shut em down.

Fanboys can just watch ManU play Barca every week, sound good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,101,874 times
Reputation: 4093
He isn't naive Robb, no world class player will move to the States in his prime. Yes money talks but the money is in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,013 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
So what is taking Neymar and Ganso so long to come to Europe? By your mentality, every league in the world (except for the tops in England, Spain, Italy and Germany) should shut down.

If MLS is BS, then so is the Turkish Superleague, Poland, Scotland, Australia, Netherlands, K-League, etal., worthless, shut em down.

Fanboys can just watch ManU play Barca every week, sound good?
Please tell me where I said that they should shut down. I never said anything like that at all. All I said was that the MLS cant compete with Europe. I said nothing about shuting leagues down.

The likes of Neymar and Ganso will soon join Europe. They are still very young so have loads of time. They wont move to the MLS, thats for sure. Neymar will go to Barcelona in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Ok we clearly dont agree so lets just have a look what happens. I bet 100 that I will be right.
*facepalm* You really dont get it, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Oh and no those players you mention cant make it anymore in Europe. Thats the reason they didn't come back. Beckham knows that he would not be a regular starting 11 if he joined PSG and the same with Henry and Keane. Keane left for the US because he could not get into the Tottenham team. They were great but not anymore. You cant attract the likes of Messi and Ronaldo at their prime and that is not a blank statement, thats a fact.
Yes, those players could have made it Europe or they wouldnt have had offers. You dont offer a player a decent contract if they cant make it.

You're talking about Messi and Ronaldo, the best of the best. Guess what, 99% of the teams in Europe cant attract them either so dont single out MLS. I'm not talking about Messi and Ronaldo, I am talking about other great players. There are tens of thousands of professional soccer players in this world and a lot of great ones. You think none of those will ever play in MLS? You're flat wrong. Do you know how much money and influence is in this country? Do you understand the attraction of playing in NYC or LA? Once MLS teams are able to match those contracts, they will start coming. It is foolish to think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top