U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,976,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is the latino styled dribble? And when you say wall passing, do you mean just kick it hard to an area, and let the receiver just run and pick up if they can. In other words, the passer thinks there is a wall to bounce the ball off of, and doesnt matter how hard or where you kick as long as it goes to the right vicinity?
Latino styled dribble-based game w/ an agressive physical style is my attempt at describing the 'general' style of football played in the US. Wall passes are the little one twos/give and goes between 2 players.

Dribble-based means players are usually expected to trap and take multiple touches on the ball to keep possession and advance the ball themselves. As opposed to one-touch football where the ball does the work.

Last edited by Back to NE; 11-16-2012 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM

6,272 posts, read 6,394,992 times
I think the reason for the dribble based style is the football, basketball influence. In football and basketball there is one vs one situation, and you have to juke, and deke to get passed. To Americans that is the epitome of athletic prowess. I guess the soccer guys want to do the same thing.

Is this style of play simply hurting our advancement in global tournys

Old 11-23-2012, 01:23 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,676,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Latino styled dribble-based game w/ an agressive physical style is my attempt at describing the 'general' style of football played in the US. Wall passes are the little one twos/give and goes between 2 players.
That's strange: when I think of Latino-style game, I automatically think of (my favorite) Spanish-style football. You know: superfast passing game, all technique and tactics.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:18 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,103,492 times
Latin countries play way different to Spain, the closest country that plays like Spain is Argentina but Brazil etc play different. I prefer the German national teams style but they are all amazing to watch.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,676,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Latin countries play way different to Spain, the closest country that plays like Spain is Argentina but Brazil etc play different. I prefer the German national teams style but they are all amazing to watch.
That's probably true, although I found Chile and Mexico also playing (or at least trying to play) the quick passing game this last World Cup.

But we're going off-topic here. I've read the article and I must concur with the author that the number one thing for USA soccer to strive for is an overhaul of the youth system: technique, learning to play at a fast pace, learning to think ahead,... should be way more important at an early age than winning games. The rewards will be reaped later.
Easier said than done of course, knowing that no parent likes to see his/her child lose - even at an early age...

Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 PM

Actually, is the mens national team getting beat on tactics, or are they being out hustled? Are the mens nationals just not athletic enough to keep up with Euro or Latin American Players seeing as how the best athletes in those regions are playing soccer?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Actually, is the mens national team getting beat on tactics, or are they being out hustled? Are the mens nationals just not athletic enough to keep up with Euro or Latin American Players seeing as how the best athletes in those regions are playing soccer?
Nope, I think the US team is known for hustle and its athletic prowess is pretty good (though it could be better with more top athletes who go into basketball and the rest).

But we don't create any soccer geniouses, even Dempsey and Donovan are more about hustle and attitude. And I can't shake the feeling that US soccer players at all levels don't know how to play "winning" soccer, they are busy trying to do the "fun" parts of soccer. Pardon, I know this is critical and vague.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM

Actually, I would think that soccer has the toughest combo of aerobic and anaerobic capacity. The field of play is much much bigger than basketball, and they dont get to take as many breaks in between the explosive actions and for not nearly as long they do in football.

What do you mean by "winning" soccer, and "fun" parts? Are the US players are more concerned with being the next Cristiano Ronaldo with his fancy ball footsying?

If the americans have plenty of hustle, then the one touch, lots of passing, and moving the ball down field fast would suit us best. That type of style requires the deep route running, and crossing routes. And you need cardio to do that.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by "winning" soccer, and "fun" parts? Are the US players are more concerned with being the next Cristiano Ronaldo with his fancy ball footsying?
Winning soccer is knowing where everyone is on the pitch, so you know where you cannot give up the ball, when to drop back, when to snuff out an attack (even if a foul is necessary), when to make runs, what is a real opportunity, and to make yourself available for passes at all times.

Losing soccer is always wanting to dribble the ball (unable to play one-touch soccer), going thru the motions when defending, not switching the ball to the other side, not thinking 2-3 passes in advance, trying to perform tricks that just slow the play down, etc.

The "fun" parts are dribbling, shooting and playmaking. In the US, everyone wants to be a #10 or a striker. And they reserve the right to stand around until they get the ball, then they spend buckets of energy dribbling into cul-de-sacs. Then they watch while a teammate has to defend a 5 on 2.

I continue to beleive these mentalities/tendencies are very wide spread and will keep us a crummy/mediocre soccer nation for decades to come.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:19 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,424,691 times
I was trying to figure out where to post this and this thread seems the best place...my boys played their first tournament over the Memorial Day weekend. It got me thinking about different philosophies we are teaching our kids at a young age. I tell my kids before every game, they need to try their best, but what I really care about is that they control the ball, dribble, and make a move (roll-over, cut back, scissors, whatever). My goal is for them to develop superior foot skills (that's why we put them in thsi club), I actually don't really care about passing at this age. They pass, it just isn't a priority at this stage. The teams we played were mostly different, some just kicked it around, some were superior passers, and some...as explained below.

The boys are 7, but played in the lower level U8 since there was no U7. Anyway, the tournament started off good and the kids were having fun, but they made it to the championship game and it got real ugly. The team we played had inferior foot skills, but they were super rough (and big). I counted 2 should be red cards (slide tackles from behind on breakaways) and 5 yellows (elbows, reckless slide tackles) on the other team in the first half, but at u8 there are no cards...or consequences other than a foul called. The ref called many fouls on the other team, at least a dozen in the first 10 minutes...more than I have seem in any full game at this level. First, I couldn't believe the 8 year olds were all slide tackling, that seems pretty dangerous for a kid. Second, I assume their coach teaches them to use their body to get control of the ball. These skills seem better served for older kids, but maybe I am wrong. I was curious what others experiences are, either how you learned soccer or if you have kids, how they are learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer