U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,788,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
why the need for these fake nicknames rather than something organic that happens over time? Just putting a club in a city and then giving it a silly name like Earthquakes or Jaguars or Thundercats is pretty lame.

We actually have a history in this country of organic nicknames in a lot of our sports. Take for instance the Brooklyn Dodgers. Their were originally the Brooklyn Bridegrooms(a lot of their players had just been married) then became known as the Superbas.When they moved to Easton Park in Brooklyn they became known as the Trolly Dodgers because how difficult it was for their supporters to dodge trolly lines to get to the park. Then it was shortened to Dodgers.
I love that connection of the old Dodgers nickname with Brooklyn.

I'm sure that if Harrisburg PA got a MLS team called themselves Harrisburg Hazards, you'd complain too right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 AM

563 posts, read 429,210 times
Hawks is a pretty generic name, but it still sounds OK. There are only so many names, generic or not, that will sound good. soon, we'll have the Northwest Oregon Raging Thunderhippos of Death.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,501,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I love that connection of the old Dodgers nickname with Brooklyn.

I'm sure that if Harrisburg PA got a MLS team called themselves Harrisburg Hazards, you'd complain too right?
yes

Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
yes
Even though the name has history in the city, right? Three Mile Island. Hopefully you picked that up when you first saw the name that I listed.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Even though the name has history in the city, right? Three Mile Island. Hopefully you picked that up when you first saw the name that I listed.

I think i already said i prefer a club to be called New York City FC and then organically be given a nickname by the clubs fans.

I seriously doubt a group of fans would choose to name their football club after a horrible nuclear plant disaster!!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I think i already said i prefer a club to be called New York City FC and then organically be given a nickname by the clubs fans.

I seriously doubt a group of fans would choose to name their football club after a horrible nuclear plant disaster!!
Says the Chicago Fire and the former Atlanta Flames.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Says the Chicago Fire and the former Atlanta Flames.
Miami Hurricanes... San Jose Earthquakes...

Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Guess you could go even further with Tampa Bay Lightning, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Hurricanes, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Raptors and (former) Dallas Burn.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
neither of which were chosen by fans.

If fans were to choose a nickname for their soccer club they aren't going to name the club after a natural or unnatural disaster.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
neither of which were chosen by fans.

If fans were to choose a nickname for their soccer club they aren't going to name the club after a natural or unnatural disaster.
And if you're okay with the Redskins nickname, then there is something wrong with this picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer