U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 AM

207 posts, read 274,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ok...

But you honestly believe Sacramento can beat out places like San Antonio? Orlando? Tampa? St. Louis? Indianapolis? Charlotte? San Diego? Atlanta? the Twin Cities? Even Detroit?
Ya ofc they can, just like any one of these cities can as well. If you saw the article I posted, you'll see it's not just me saying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,299,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Fort Lauderdale is still in the same sports market as Miami.
I don't care if they are. I detest broward county and will not associate them with miami.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,820,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I don't care if they are. I detest broward county and will not associate them with miami.
But they are associated with Miami. Even the Federal Government says so.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,299,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
But they are associated with Miami. Even the Federal Government says so.
I know that but I personally don't consider them part of Miami.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,820,750 times
They aren't mart of Miami, they are a part of the metro. Sounds childish.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM

130 posts, read 201,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I know that but I personally don't consider them part of Miami.
Grow up fella...

Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,504,923 times
MLS is adding too many teams. There's no way a division 1 league should have over 20 teams. These guys at MLS just don't understand the sport of soccer. They are NFL guys. It wouldn't surprise me if they went to 24 teams and then divided the league into divisions like the NFL with wild cards etc. It's complete crap.

And then they why wonder why the majority American soccer fans don't want anything to do with MLS. This is frickin why.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,220,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
MLS is adding too many teams. There's no way a division 1 league should have over 20 teams. These guys at MLS just don't understand the sport of soccer. They are NFL guys. It wouldn't surprise me if they went to 24 teams and then divided the league into divisions like the NFL with wild cards etc. It's complete crap.

And then they why wonder why the majority American soccer fans don't want anything to do with MLS. This is frickin why.
.... you're in America. There are SEVERAL cities/metro areas (much more than 30) and tv markets here in the U.S. and Canada as well. I'm pretty sure the MLS can get away with having more than 20 teams.

I really don't see why this is a problem.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,592,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post

League size has little to do with the sport and tons to do with the governing body. Soccer fans are not FIFA fans. Going beyond 20 teams will not be offensive to the game itself like those late-'90s shootouts were. It's simply a scheduling issue with no impact on how the game is played.

The Championship in England is literally 150% the size of Portugal's top division, 24 teams versus 16. Which one of those setups is flawed? Which footballing culture is less legitimate in your esteemed eyes?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:27 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,504,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
League size has little to do with the sport and tons to do with the governing body. Soccer fans are not FIFA fans. Going beyond 20 teams will not be offensive to the game itself like those late-'90s shootouts were. It's simply a scheduling issue with no impact on how the game is played.

The Championship in England is literally 150% the size of Portugal's top division, 24 teams versus 16. Which one of those setups is flawed? Which footballing culture is less legitimate in your esteemed eyes?
The Championship is not D1. There's a reason why the Premier League is 20 teams. The bottom 4 are really bad. Imagine a PL with 24 teams. You would have 8 really poor sides in your top division. Now look at MLS, a league that is probably somewhere between the Championship and League 1 (if you go by wages) and you're going to tell me that there's enough talent for MLS to have 24 teams?

The fact that the US is a really big country is irrelevant when it comes to deciding on the size of our D1 league. I hear people say "we are a big country , we can have 30 teams in MLS!" That is moronic. Anyone saying that doesn't know anything about this sport.

It's a moot point now isn't it? Garber wants 24. And Garber doesn't know anything about soccer either. Heck, when he took the job as Commish of MLS he admitted not knowing much about soccer. MLS plucked him out of the NFL. If he knew anything about soccer we wouldn't have a league that decides we need to have an unbalanced schedule to encourage rivalries (lol..idiots!!!) and that having 12 out of 18 teams make the playoffs to decide the regular season champion is a good idea. There are stupid stupid people running MLS. They think MLS = NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer